SatelliteGuys MPEG4 Contest!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
From what I know Dishes were held until tommorow as DirecTV was upgrading some of the MPEG4 equipment at the uplink.

anyone know if itll be better to go out and purchase the h20 instead of doing a swap? i can always get the dish installed at a later time. im in the new york city area.
thanks
JOse

Guess they want to be sure SW2 gets launched without any problems before they get everyone all excited again!

I called again tonight and my install is confirmed for tommrow morning. The CSR reassured me that the dish they are bringing will be the new 5 LNB dish . Will keep you posted how it goes. My H20 is fired up and waiting for signal!

- mkottman

First time viewer of the this forum. GOOD STUFF!

I'm in the Detroit area (Southfield) and on Friday, October 21st, I got the new 5-LNB Dish. I talked to the installer and he said that I was the 4th person in the Detroit Area to get this dish. It's pretty big and (approx. 32 lbs.) and the installer said it takes close to an hour to tune the dish. I had just bought the Hugues HR10-250 TiVo unit at BB so I'm contemplating getting the H-20. Not sure yet. It kills know that I can can my locals in High Def but I just spent $300 for the TiVo unit. Yesterday, I spent close to 2 hours last night with D*TV but they said I'd have to wait for the new HD-DVR to come in in early 2006 or I can swap out (for free) my HR10-250 unit for the H-20. I shelled out some bucks for this unit. What to do??????? :confused:

Rubinl said:

I'm in the Detroit area (Southfield) and on Friday, October 21st, I got the new 5-LNB Dish. I talked to the installer and he said that I was the 4th person in the Detroit Area to get this dish. It's pretty big and (approx. 32 lbs.) and the installer said it takes close to an hour to tune the dish. I had just bought the Hugues HR10-250 TiVo unit at BB so I'm contemplating getting the H-20. Not sure yet. It kills know that I can can my locals in High Def but I just spent $300 for the TiVo unit. Yesterday, I spent close to 2 hours last night with D*TV but they said I'd have to wait for the new HD-DVR to come in in early 2006 or I can swap out (for free) my HR10-250 unit for the H-20. I shelled out some bucks for this unit. What to do??????? :confused:

Please post some photos!

-Robert

Well no go for me. :(

Installer just left. My dish is on the garage roof, 30 feet behind my house. I have a couple layers of shingles on the roof. This new dish and mount are extremely heavy. He didn't have the longer bolts to ensure it would be mounted securely and recommended that after the garage is re-roofed next spring to do it then. He suggested a pole mount, but this dish is so big (and ugly), that I didn't want it sitting in the back yard sticking out. He said they've done several installs and suggest a pole mount over a roof mount due to the heavy dish.

I guess I will endure my OTA channels for a bit longer.

With the installers suggesting a pole mount, I have to start thinking D* has shot themselves in the foot.

If I wanted to attach a pole to my house I would have put up a massive antenna tower. And in that case I wouldnt need D* for locals in HD.

Im still holding out hope that I can mount the new dish in place of the old. If it turns out I cant, cable might be my only option.

-Chris

chrisexv6 said:
With the installers suggesting a pole mount, I have to start thinking D* has shot themselves in the foot.

If I wanted to attach a pole to my house I would have put up a massive antenna tower. And in that case I wouldnt need D* for locals in HD.

Im still holding out hope that I can mount the new dish in place of the old. If it turns out I cant, cable might be my only option.

-Chris

I think, and this is only my opinion, that this whole MPEG-4 transition is going to turn out disastrous for D*..

If I was a D* stockholder I would be really, really nervous right now if I was following the MPEG-4 transition..

That dish is going to create a logistical nightmare for them, IMO..

Well guys, here are some pics of the new 5-LNB disk that was installed for me on Friday, October 21st.

Attachments

• Photo   1.JPG
    Photo 1.JPG
    184.5 KB · Views: 910
  • Photo   2.JPG
    Photo 2.JPG
    240.4 KB · Views: 714
  • Photo   3.JPG
    Photo 3.JPG
    223.1 KB · Views: 721
  • Photo   4.JPG
    Photo 4.JPG
    205.9 KB · Views: 649
I thought it was supposed to have 5 LNBs.

Rubinl said:
Well guys, here are some pics of the new 5-LNB disk that was installed for me on Friday, October 21st.

So how does the picture look? I am sure everyone would like to have your feedback of the new MPEG-4 / H20 equipment.

Rubinl said:
It kills know that I can can my locals in High Def but I just spent $300 for the TiVo unit. Yesterday, I spent close to 2 hours last night with D*TV but they said I'd have to wait for the new HD-DVR to come in in early 2006 or I can swap out (for free) my HR10-250 unit for the H-20. I shelled out some bucks for this unit. What to do??????? :confused:

So you have the dish but not the h-20. What good is it then?

I got to looking at the lnb closer and the lnb in the middle seems to have a feedhorn big enough to "see" 99/101/103.

the size of the dish will end up turning alot of people away from directv and back to cable or over the air. I mean how big will the dishes get? Will we be back to using BUDs in 10 or 15 years?

That is one ugly looking dish, I have my install tomorrow, with all this talk I wonder if they will get it up, they are not coming till after 5:00!.Hope all goes well

Rubinl said:

...It kills know that I can can my locals in High Def but I just spent $300 for the TiVo unit. Yesterday, I spent close to 2 hours last night with D*TV but they said I'd have to wait for the new HD-DVR to come in in early 2006 or I can swap out (for free) my HR10-250 unit for the H-20. I shelled out some bucks for this unit. What to do??????? :confused:

I thought I read that D* was selling the H20 for $200 with a $200 rebate. If that is the case, then I would keep the HR10-250 (I have had one for a year now and could not do without it) and pick up a H20 as well for free. It will cost you an extra $5 a month for the mirroring fee on an extra receiver.

Also, have you tried using the HR10-250 and an OTA antenna to get your locals? Reception can be a bit spotty depending on the weather, but most of the time it works great for me.

As far as your new dish goes, have you checked your signal strength with the HD-Tivo? It would be interesting to see how well your dish compares with the older 3-LNB design on the 101,110 and 119 sats.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)