SatelliteGuys.US DishNetwork Uplink Activity Discussion - Week Ending 07/14/2007

When you click on the ICON to watch Starz Live it takes you to the wrong channel. It takes you to Starz West (Channel 351) It should take you to 350. :)

Yawn!

I just can't see myself getting excited about VOD. I/we have had it for a while with the regular Dish on demand and I have never checked to see what is even available.

I usually have at least 5 or 6 HD movies on my DVR's that I hardly ever get a chance to watch so why am I going to fork out the extra money to watch something else (when I am already paying $110+ a month for Dish network)????

Starz VOD, though, is not about selling you movies or other items a la carte like PPV.

This will be included for those who already pay for Starz - it's a free bonus item.

When we saw the demo at team summit they said the VOD movies were free, and if you had a fast (over 3mbit) internet connection you could start watching in a minute or so. But, the movies expired. Even though you had them on your DVR they would be auto deleted at the end of the period. So, if Starz had a movie on for the month of August, your copy would be deleted at the end of August. This is of course different from when you record something on Starz using the normal DVR functions.

So, the trade off is immediate availability (with fast internet), but the content expired. You could of course download immediately and then set a record via the guide later on to get a copy to archive.

With PPV of course the copy would only be good for so many hours from when you started to watch it. So, if you downloaded a movie today, but did not start watching it until next week, that is when your timer would start (i.e. 1 day rental or perhaps a week rental).

You will want it August. :)

Besides VOD you can order PPV movies without a phoneline. Plus the coolest features is you can program your 622 from the internet (from dishonline.com and also maybe even google.com. )

will we also be able to waive the $5 additional room fee with just an internet connection instead of phone as well?

I live in Detroit area and have been looking forward to FSD but it is up on 129 and I still get my HD from 69.5. Does anyone know if it will be mirrored on the wing satellite?

Let me guess - you have Utlra Fast DSL connection. :p It was mentioned "fast (over 3mbit) internet connection ". Guess you'll need cable modem or FiOS.

Many DSL providers are routinely providing 3mb/s up to 6 mb/s nowdays.

The newer DSLAMs can give that kind of throughput.

I've had a 6 meg line from bellsouth for a while now.. should be fast enough for watching content.. I've even heard over in europe they have over 15 meg lines via dsl..

My DSL is 6mbit for $34.99/month. I would like 20, but that is as fast as is offered. The cable co does 5mbit for $55, or $45 if you sub to cable, or triple play for $99. DSL was 384k until they finally got a box in my neighborhood 2 years ago (I paid the $$ for cable).

Let me guess - you have Utlra Fast DSL connection. :p It was mentioned "fast (over 3mbit) internet connection ". Guess you'll need cable modem or FiOS.

Why? I had DSL service at 6 mbits/second at my previous house for 3 years. Tested from the speed test sites, it would run between 5.2 and 5.5 Mbits/second

Cheers,

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)