SatelliteGuys.US DishNetwork Uplink Activity Discussion - Week Ending 12/08/2007

Exciting to see some action on the Dish-HD front. Dish needs to add premium HD channels before year end.

I have a question about uplinking and bandwidth (probably a very obvious, noob kind of question).

Dish can uplink all the channels they want, right? Without actually using up the bandwidth. They don't start using bandwidth until they make the channels available, right?

Just curious, because I keep hearing about lots of channels being uplinked, but not available. Just want to make sure they're not using up bandwidth on uplinked but not available channels.

SciFi HD? I have wood

istockphoto_3115707_log_of_wood.jpg

Too little too late

Too little too late. I have already made up my mind to ditch Dish next spring and go with just BHN. BHN will just about match (except for Voom and RSNs) the HD channels on Dish next week in Tampa Bay (Dec 11-12) and there is much more coming in 2008.

Dish should have laid out the next 18 months of plans to the public when DirecTV started launching channels earlier this fall. Dish's silent response and now quietly getting ready to launch a couple of channels is just way too underwhelming and sad.

I got Dish last spring as a secondary service to BHN because they didn't offer enough HD for my tastes. My oh my it is amazing how things change in 9-10 months. Dish is just about obsolete to me now.

I have a question about uplinking and bandwidth (probably a very obvious, noob kind of question).

Dish can uplink all the channels they want, right? Without actually using up the bandwidth. They don't start using bandwidth until they make the channels available, right?

Just curious, because I keep hearing about lots of channels being uplinked, but not available. Just want to make sure they're not using up bandwidth on uplinked but not available channels.

Sometimes they do uplink channels without connecting them to any video streams but for the most part they uplink and tie them in. As in this case, you'll notice they moved 2 PPV-HD's off to make some room.

Too little too late. I have already made up my mind to ditch Dish next spring and go with just BHN. BHN will just about match (except for Voom and RSNs) the HD channels on Dish next week in Tampa Bay (Dec 11-12) and there is much more coming in 2008.

Dish should have laid out the next 18 months of plans to the public when DirecTV started launching channels earlier this fall. Dish's silent response and now quietly getting ready to launch a couple of channels is just way too underwhelming and sad.

I got Dish last spring as a secondary service to BHN because they didn't offer enough HD for my tastes. My oh my it is amazing how things change in 9-10 months. Dish is just about obsolete to me now.

Well would not say their obsolete and really not one can lay out their plans for 18 months and be for sure things will work out that way. Dish,Direct whoever have only so much control on when they can add a networks HD channel to their line up. It's more than just calling them up and turning on the channel. That must be a made up world called ""TVLand"" Or ""TVWorld"" does not work that way.

Its obvious that folks dont understand how things work which is normal most folks dont. Go with whatever provider that fits your needs the best. But just because Dish or any provider does not give out a plan about everything their doing not mean their not working on something. Also there are some that do make promises or say they will do this or that and never does work out or never happens. Or give out some 12 month or next year agenda but sometimes those things dont happen or dont work out. The fact is TV Service Providers control only so much some things come down to them then somethings they half to wait for other things to happen. Yeah we all want things now nobody likes to play the hurry and wait game but sometimes thats the way it works. Again I think Dish and Direct will be fine.

Any chance that USA HD will be available by Friday? There is a new episode of MONK and PSYCH on Friday...That wil be great !

Damn. I knew I would miss something!!! Poke. Go ahead and tell me and everyone here. "I told you so". I deserve it. This could be the calm before the storm.:)

Good News but on the fence

Still considering jumping ship but not because of the extra HD channels on Direct.....is it true that Direct has better HD picture resolution? That is what will sway me toward them....know that eventually they will all have the same channels (except for Voom and who cares). Anyone have any info on PQ improvements?

Any chance that USA HD will be available by Friday? There is a new episode of MONK and PSYCH on Friday...That wil be great !

I don't know about Psych, but the Monk episode ("Christmas Episode") is going to be repeated a zillion times this month.

However - previously, no new episode of Monk has been shown in HD simultaneously with its SD debut.

It's certainly possible that USA will start doing that, now that they have a separate HD channel for only USA programs, but...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts