Saving "pause live" recording w/ Coolsat 7100

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mountain Do

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2010
Wino Country
I'm afraid the documentation leaves some things unexplained for my Coolsat 7100, on which hangs the external USB drive for recording stuff. What I have encountered several times now, and have been unsuccessful so far in every experimental thing I've tried, I'm wondering if anyone out there in Intelligentville has knowledge of a method of saving any/all of the automatic recording of what's been captured for "pausing live" or even rewinding/reviewing live broadcasts.

It seems that it automatically spools the last 2 hours (or however long up to that time since you last changed channels) to the HD and one can navigate back through that recorded stream and even set "chapter" markers - BUT -

Is there a way to SAVE that file, in whole or in part, if/when one discovers that there is something therein that is valuable? I've missed some really great things because I didn't KNOW ahead of time that they were coming, thus I failed to hit the "record" button or preprogram it to record. (Actually, a couple times I'd fallen asleep and awakened in the midst of something that I wished I had captured from the start.)

It sure SEEMS like it's in a file on the HD already, if only that file could be saved instead of "evaporating," which it seems to do with anything I have tried thus far.

Anyone know the trick, please and thanks????

Mt Do :D

Aren't those second cousin to the Visionsat IV-200's ?
If so, Tron described a technique.
If not, then sorry. :)

You should go search for his explanation 'cause I'm sure I'll only remember part of it.
Basically, wait 'till the show is over, and turn off the FTA receiver completely.
Remove the hard drive, connect to your computer, and look for the buffer file.
It'll contain your show.
(I edit with VideoReDo to cut to length and remove any possible commercials)
Think he said that file would be purged when you turned the FTA box back on, again.

Anyway, search for Tron's comments in a Visionsat discussion, and then try the technique and see if it applies.

Can't find the original post, and if I recall correctly, it was in a slightly off-topic reply ;) ...

But anyway, there is a file (on the Visionsat, not sure if the Coolsat 7100 works the same way) called "_timeshift_". That file contains all of the timeshifted video up to 3.67 gigabytes. Copy or move it to a PC, rename it to a .TS file, and you're good.

- Once you hit record, the file starts over after you stop recording, overwriting the previous video.

- If you turn the receiver off, copy the file to a PC before you turn the receiver back on, or the file will be overwritten.

EDIT: Here is the previous post on the subject.

Woops - where's my MANNERS?

Must needs rewind the passage of time here to say THANK YOU - for the answer, which works. Sure enough, that TS file has it. Admittedly, I was kinda hoping for the means to do it w/on the receiver, but - as they say: close enough for government work.

Much grass

Slow-draw McGraw

Glad it had the video you were looking for! I'm often finding myself turning off the receiver to rescue a timeshift file of something I decided I wanted a recording of while watching.

By the way, for those with an Openbox S9, that receiver records a similar timeshift file. It is named using the same conventions as other recordings, however, so you might have to look for it. As with the Visionsat, the file is overwritten whenever the channel is changed, the receiver is turned off and back on, or a regular recording is stopped.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts