SCPC receiver

Discussion in 'Free To Air (FTA) Discussion' started by FTABman0, Sep 26, 2008.

1. FTABman0

FTABman0 Thread Starter Active SatelliteGuys Member

I ran across this old post and thought I would show mine. SCPC we used at the radio station some years back that brought in “Agri Ed Johnsons” farm report from OH for us every morning. I got it out today and powered it up to see if it still works and yes it does! I do not have a BUD to try it though; I really don’t think that there are satellites up there with the carriers for SCPC anymore.

I just wonder though, maybe pointing to a C- band satellite and fine tuning all the channels for what might be surprised what might still be using the carrier! Maybe a project down the road I just thought if there are any Member engineers out there on the forums that might know if SCPC is still around. If not it could be used as a SETI Type receiver, there are plenty of noise coming out of the monitor jack!

Attached Files:

Advertisements Register Today!

Reigster at SatelliteGuys
  2. Arunta419

Arunta419 Member

I don't know and can't tell from your pictures, what it needs for an input.

The old way of doing this was to use an FM radio (or a dedicated SCPC device) that had TV sound....you know....the FM band between 2-6 and 7-13?

It needed to tune thru the 70mhz output from a sat box...as they all had that in the good ole days. We don't see that nowadays.
    Another way, was on TP's that showed a big signal, but had no video (or audio).....was to send the VIDEO out into a general coverage HAM reciever and tune away....

We do have IF Out.
    From my testing of this port (on a non-HD box) it contains 950-1450 block from the LNB for whatever polarity selected by the master box.
    My spectrum analyzer shows all 16 TP's on a 32 TP bird. The jack has no DC on it...and acts like a transfer switch when the main box is ON vs. OFF.
    On= no DC...16 TP's represented in a 950-1450 block.
    Off= able to loop DC 13-18vdc out to LNB (from slave box) thru same coax as master uses to LNB.
    I had pondered looping into an old box, and let it give me the 70mhz out?
    I have not tried using any of the aforementioned 'tuners' to it.....Yet.

I am thinking it may be hard to tune a TP, that you did NOT get a 'lock' on though (FTA type box))....maybe the old box is the way to go?

Let me know if you try it? good luck
  3. Arunta419

Arunta419 Member

OK..I looked at the BIG pictures...it appears to BE capable of completely driving and tuning an old 70mhz LNA (not LNB)....as it has power to LNA (23vdc/grnd).....it has 70mhz OUT and RF IN....this is how the OLD 70mhz systems worked....DC to LNA=RF back then 70mhz version of that RF OUT. These types...(70mhz) tuned by voltage change and only 1 TP was returned.....NO Block of 950-1450..that was newer technology of the LNB...B=Block.

If you turn it on and change channels I think you will see the 23vdc change as you change?...thus proving what I think?

If proven, this is Totally incompatable with modern LNBF's or LNB's.
  4. skysurfer

skysurfer Active SatelliteGuys Member

thanks for the pics. You know the receiver is old when it has an N connector input and needs 70 MHz in.

Hook up an LNA and enjoy the the 2-5 remaining analog SCPC channels. :D