Second homes

gerib

Original poster
Dec 23, 2008
illinois
I took my second reciever from Illinois and activated it at our second home in Colorado. Everything worked well but I can not get any local channels. Since the house is in the mountains we have no other way to get local channels. I was trying to get away from paying two accounts since we are not in the same place at the same time. i was told this was Ok. How do I get local channels?

per last months retailer chat:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...ive-dish-retailer-chat-recap.html#post1597300
Dish now has a "Snowbird Policy" which will allow people with two homes to have Dish Network at both houses. (Ie a customer has a winter home and a summer home.) The customer can take their receivers back and forth.

For this to work a code needs to be placed on the customers account so that the audit team dont call. Dish will verify they ownership of the two properties behind the scenes the customer does not need to do anything.

For this to work a code needs to be placed on the customers account so that the audit team dont call. Dish will verify they ownership of the two properties behind the scenes the customer does not need to do anything.

What happens if the second home is not owned under the same name? For example, it is in the name of a relative or partnership.

I took my second reciever from Illinois and activated it at our second home in Colorado. Everything worked well but I can not get any local channels. Since the house is in the mountains we have no other way to get local channels. I was trying to get away from paying two accounts since we are not in the same place at the same time. i was told this was Ok. How do I get local channels?

Well, your local channels in Illinois, are probably on a SPOT-BEAM, yes? If that's so, I've never seen a spot-beam be big enough to cover from Illinois, to Colorado!

Receiver at each end or do you move the puppy?

I just did a DishMover snowbird install at my FL winter home. No problems whatsoever.

I wonder if they are going to allow you to have a receiver at each end or will you have to haul a box back and forth?

Owning or not owning a home has nothing to do with getting service. What would all the rented do?

Are you saying that Slamminc11 is wrong about Dish needing to verify the ownership of both properties?

Ownership has nothing to do with getting primary service, but the ownership requirements for snowbirds seems like a simple-minded approach to prevent account stacking that wasn't thought through.

I wonder if they are going to allow you to have a receiver at each end or will you have to haul a box back and forth?

You have to take the receivers with you, so you either physically carry them with you or ship them. Only your existing receivers are authorized at the vacation address. Otherwise, you will need a second account for the vacation home.

I suppose when you move back and forth you get the appropriate locals for the areas you are in at any given time (where available) SD & HD. Correct?

Example: When in NY, you get WCBS but when in central FL, you get WKMG instead.

I suppose when you move back and forth you get the appropriate locals for the areas you are in at any given time (where available) SD & HD. Correct?

Example: When in NY, you get WCBS but when in central FL, you get WKMG instead.

correct. My dad has a buddy that does the same thing. 6 months (or so) in Minnesota and 6 months in Florida

In MN he gets the Minneapolis locals and when he switches the address to Florida he gets Ft Myers stations

not sure they will know if you just leave one receiver at your other locale.

kind of hard to ship without damaging them. And taking them on a plane isn't so easy these days.

kind of hard to ship without damaging them. And taking them on a plane isn't so easy these days.

The only way they would know if you still have a receiver at the "home port" is if they audit you with a phone call asking for the info on the left behind receiver and you can't provide it.

As to shipping, you should be OK if you ship in the original packaging. I drive with mine but I always use the original box and packing. I'd also ship before I'd put it through airline baggage. :) I believe the receiver box is small enough to qualify for onboard carry.

if you know how to put clothes in your luggage whats so tough about putting satellite reciever in luggage?
sounds to me like you want to leave recievers at both properties active all the time which is a no-no

if you dont know how to ship or pack a satellite recuiever, may i suggest ota antenna

No I don't believe that having both areas active is legal or acceptable. At least not to me.

Luggage has been damaged in the past and carrying on- was not sure how they (TSA) view those types of items.

They are charging more and more for bags- so I try to minimize- plus the hasle of too much luggage to cart thru airport.

As much as hard drives seem to screw up on DVR I thought shipping it a lot might up the percentage of failure.

Interesting new policy.

What about if someone were to do this for a week or so? Like you go away for the week. Is there a minimum time that the account must be on "snowbird?"

Or is it even worth switching it for a week?

You can always claim that you have it installed on your RV. Just give the address of the "campsite" that you are at and they should switch your locals w/o a problem. Most of the locals are on spotbeam anyway so if you move out of the spotbeam, you do not get the signal. I found this out when I "moved" to Cleveland. I am right in the middle of 110 spot 9 for the SD's but 61.5 spot 14 runs from Eastern Ohio through Illinois and Wisconsin so I cannot get it.

I just traveled by air with a pre-paid 301 with little trouble with the TSA. I had the receiver in the original box placed inside a carry-on bag. First security check didn't even want the box out of the suitcase and just went through the detector. The second time they asked me to take the box out of the luggage and it went through fine on its own. Both times I explained up front I had a satellite receiver and asked what they would like me to do. 301 worked fine upon arrival.