Set to call dish tonight about dishmover, do i want dish 1000?

jaschier

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 3, 2005
I am going to call E* tonight to setup a dishmover. I signed for DHPP online already to get it free. I live in Roanoke, so I understand I should be able to get my 2 must carrys (WB and UPN) with the dish1000 and roanoke Va is one of the eligible DMA's. Now, when I worked as a CSR when we first got superdishes, I hated them because there were so many problems with installs, alignment, low signal, bad weather on the FSS sat locations. Do I want to have a Dish 1000 installed or should I stick with a Dish 500 and just pay the extra $3 and get a distant WB or UPN? I would much rather pay the extra $3 and not have low signal or signal loss problems.

Also, I will be buying a mount and bucket for the balcony.... Do I want a metal pole or wood beam? For them, which sizes (measurements/widths?). And also, other than the bucket, quickrete, and pole, do I need to provide anyhing else for the the pole/bucket mount?

Thank for the help.
Also, figures that just 2 days ago I finally got waivers approved for distants for NFL college sports, a week before I move and lose them....

if you can get the dish 1000 for free, do it.

people will recommend a metal pole. i had no trouble with a wood one when i had my dish. someone else can tell you the sizes. i don't know off the top of my head. however, there have been many threads about the size of the pole which lists what you need.

The signal on 61.5/148 tends to be "better" (at least as far as I know) than 129 since 129 is (apparently) an older satellite. [not sure on that?]..

110/119 will be fine, sometimes even better than on a dish 500(?).. It's certainly better than dual dishes if you're not a dual dish person though, and much better than having no 3rd sat at all.

I would go with 129... if you could.. the only problem is you might have rainfade issues but a new bird should be up there at 129 within the next couple of years I would think. (nothing offical again) once when that new bird goes up I would think with the newer bird being stronger that would take those issues away and we should see signal increase across the board for everyone.. just like how 105 did a year back...

OoTLink said:
The signal on 61.5/148 tends to be "better" (at least as far as I know) than 129 since 129 is (apparently) an older satellite. [not sure on that?].

Not accurate at all. Echostar 5 is at 129. Echostar 1 and Echostar 2 are at 148. Echostar 3 is at 61.5.

the reason why the signal is weaker is because 1. the sats crippled... and 2 dish has the power on low.. for what reason is unknown to the general public, but i think it has something to do with the load they want the sat to carry.

i called and they said their computer was down and for me to call back. after waiting on hold for a while i didn't have the time or patience to wait again. I'll be calling back tomorrow morning (extremely busy day today) and basically ask for dish1000 and see what signal strengths i can get, and if i'm not satisfied with the sig strength from dish1000 i'll just get dish500 and pay the extra $1.50 each for the distant upn and wb's. and only have one dish.

thanks for the suggestions!

i know, it happened all the time when i worked there. not only would certain parts fail (like the ability to create a work order or create an RA) while others worked, but the whole software program or the computer would crash regularly. at least over a full year ago they were supposed to release a whole new software program for everything, and keep pushing it back. probably still hasn't been released. not sure if as former employee if i can even mention the software programs, but i'd be surprised if the new one is up or even running correctly if it is up.

well you can always switch to dtv...i did it was the best thing i have done...after having patience for the junk dvr's they sent me...and being a dish sub for 5 yrs....the OLN issue, and i work for dtv now and enjoy free sat tv...so its a good thing....