setup help

krisman

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
tn
i have an antenna that i have to have an amp with hooked up inside. i want to get away from the electric plug in because my outlets are all filled up. without the amp though my channels are staticy. i was wondering if they made an in line amp that you dont have to plug into an outlet and how good they were? i was reading that a bigger coax cable and keeping the ends weatherproofedwould probably help the static too. i would love to have an indoor antenna, i was reading where one could pick up about 80 miles and i was wondering your thoughts on it.

If your doing digital OTA there should be no static. For a pre amp or a distribution amp it has to be plugged into AC someplace.

i am doing digital but the further the coax has to go from the antenna to the tv, the weaker the signal youll get right? which is why im thinking that an indoor antenna that has shorter distance to the tv will work better, right?

i am doing digital but the further the coax has to go from the antenna to the tv, the weaker the signal youll get right? which is why im thinking that an indoor antenna that has shorter distance to the tv will work better, right?

A indoor antenna will never work as good as one outside, get a 6 outlet power strip

The antenna is the business end, you cannot amplify a signal you did not capture. A good outside antenna mounted high and correctly pointed at the transmitters of interest is your best bet. Preamps are available where the actual amplifier is on the tower at the antenna, they work well for fringe reception but will overload if a nearby transmitter can be seen by it. Use good quality RG6 after the balun, a preamp may be advised for runs over 75' or so. You'll still need to plug in the power inserter if you go with a preamp.

Google TV fool for a map of what is available for your location.

Last edited:

What antenna do I need? Details inside..

OTA antenna installer in Sherman Tx area

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)