Severe OTA loss with Diplexer?

mecro

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 11, 2005
Cleveland, OH
I live in an apartment, with a fairly simple 18" single LNB DirecTV setup on a tripod, and a DB8 in an orange bucket of cement (my landlord loves me)...

I live in Lafayette, IN and try so hard like everyone else to pull in Indianapolis locals (~60-70 miles). If I run a coax directly to the antenna, and to my panasonic TV, I am good and can receive most of the channels I want. However, if I stick a pair of diplexers in the mix, my signal strength on the antenna drops to an unusable level.

Is it possible for diplexers to go bad? I have a few laying around the house, and I've switched them in and out (all different brands, no two alike) and I can't get it to work worth a hoot. The satellite signal comes through fine.

Any ideas?? Thanks guys

I think each diplexer has about a 3db loss. You may have to use an amplified antenna, but that complicates the diplexer issue as DC has to get to the amplifier.

This is a common problem with DBS diplexers. You'd be better off forgetting about them and running a second coax cable, from the DB8 to the receiver. If it's a recent model, the back panel of your D* box has a spare F-connector for a direct antenna connection, labeled "ANT IN," "OFF AIR," "RF IN" or some such. That should do the trick.

Best indoor antenna?

Trying to get the digital signals of Indy and FWA stations

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)