SF/BayArea KTVU Digital Question

lborges

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2003
Is anyone in Fremont (94536 zip) able to receive KTVU-DT ? I am able to receive all other DTs broadcasting from Sutro except for 2-1. I am using an outside UHF/VHF antenna pointed at 285 degrees. Any help would be appreciated.

lborges said:
Is anyone in Fremont (94536 zip) able to receive KTVU-DT ? I am able to receive all other DTs broadcasting from Sutro except for 2-1. I am using an outside UHF/VHF antenna pointed at 285 degrees. Any help would be appreciated.
I cannot receive KTVU-DT from Sutro but get KRON-DT easily. Their actual
channel numbers are 56.1 from KTVU and 57.1 for KRON so one would think it would be easy.
Sent an e-mail to their engineer and got this reply:

We did increase our power to 1000kW. If you receive virtual channel 4.1, physical channel 57, I would expect that you would get us on virtual channel 2.1, physical channel 56 as well. Sometimes a signal is on the cliff-edge where you either get a perfect picture or no picture at all. You may need to reorient your antenna some to pick up our signal.

For what it's worth on a local HDTV forum one of the antenna installers recently posted, << "the Channel Master 4221 has a 1dB gain (25%) over the CM 4228 on Channel 56". >>

It might be worth a try, it's half the width of the 4228 and doesn't cost too much. I'm not sure 1dB would do the trick though, and even if it did you would be on the cliff-edge reception wise.

Putting the antenna outdoors would probably solve your problem. Also, even though the transmitters and antennas at Sutro Tower in San Francisco are co-located viewers often have to use a rotor to receive all the signals.

Regards,

Bob Hofert
Engineering Supervisor
KTVU Fox 2
510-874-0409
Bob.Hofert@ktvu.com

You might want to send an e-mail to him too.
Note: I live in Santa Rosa so have a much more difficult time getting anything from Sutro but am able to get ch 5 and 7 digital most of the time.
Sutro is 53 miles from me here in Santa Rosa and I am using a long boom YAGI in the attic. (Trying to avoid a fight with the HO association and outdoor antennas) :rolleyes:

I also have a Channel Master 4228 antenna up in the attic and with it connected I can pick up Ch 11 from Mt Loma Prieta which is 103 miles away.
Awesome distance, mostly over water from here.

Send Hofert an email and see what his reply is to you.

I used to live in Fremont and regret moving this far away from good digital reception.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts