Shaddy Installers.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

igator99

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 16, 2006
I installed a slimline dish although the Bruister & Ass army that came by last Summer said it was impossible. I'm getting all five sats although 119 is giving me trouble. I believe from this board it is because my pole is not plumb. I called several local pros. One told me he would be at my house in five minutes. That was several days ago. One today called me and said he would charge me 45.00 to show up that is it and to actually tune the dish would be 200.00 more. I have it on a ten foot pole and I'm getting 101 95 plus, 110 95 plus, 119 50 - 60 and 99 because I'm getting my locals in HD screaming. Also I see 103. I dug a trench and laid the wires to my house. There needs to be some sort of ownership between D* and the folks that install it. Treat them like they treat Bellsouth and give the tools and incentives to do the job.

Amen! You should trumpet your situation to the fullest. I have been saying that I think the vast majority of people are being given false site surveys; that they can't get satellite; simply because it will not be "quick & easy".

Amen! You should trumpet your situation to the fullest. I have been saying that I think the vast majority of people are being given false site surveys; that they can't get satellite; simply because it will not be "quick & easy".

A woman that I work with was told by several Bruister jerks she could not get locals. She must have already had the 3lnb because she solved the problem by calling D* and them walking her through the setup menu. Hey I understand that if they get paid by the job then you go on to the easy one. The problem is up top. I guess however if it aint broke then don't fix it. If they are making money they will keep it going. God bless the folks on this board. I could not have done it without your help.

See, that is where I disagree, we all choose our own paths in life and if you take a job it is your responsibility to take pride in your job; do 100% all the time. If you find issues try to correct them while still giving 100% because you should have pride in YOURSELF. If you can't enact changes, quit and move on. If you stay and do slack-ass work then you are no better than what you claim the "uppers" to be and all that does is reflect what kind or worker or person you really are.

See, that is where I disagree, we all choose our own paths in life and if you take a job it is your responsibility to take pride in your job; do 100% all the time. If you find issues try to correct them while still giving 100% because you should have pride in YOURSELF. If you can't enact changes, quit and move on. If you stay and do slack-ass work then you are no better than what you claim the "uppers" to be and all that does is reflect what kind or worker or person you really are.

Hey I'm a teacher. I don't get paid for half the work I do but I put in 100% in anything I do when I see those kids faces. You and me are the 2% in the world. Most will slack or only don what they are paid to do.

did you say a 10' pole?

This is not a standard install and would be considered a no line of sight on a sight survey. With the signal levels you are getting it still sounds as if you have line of sight issues on 119. If the problem that the pole was not plumb it would be hard to get the level you get on both 101 and 110. 119 is the lowest to the horizon of all five sats.

Charper1,
About the false site surveys, there was a time when the installation companies paid $25.00 for a report of No Line of Sight (NLOS). It can take up to an hour to look for holes in trees and lines that will clear buildings. Then the money stopped.
The installer only has so many hours of daylight and often has more work than he will get to in any given day. So they move on to the next one. And if the job will not fit the basic installation there are days when you just don't have the time to explain
all the extra costs to someone who was promised a free installation.
My personal favorite is the customer who lives in a forest. As you explain that the trees make it impossible to install the system they tell you,"You guys are all alike. Every installer your company has sent has said the same thing." Everyone gets to ride around for free because some sales guy didn't trust the first few NLOS reports.
But I agree with what you said about doing your best in your chosen profession.
I'm planning to do that for somebody besides DTV.

Joe

Charper1,
About the false site surveys, there was a time when the installation companies paid $25.00 for a report of No Line of Sight (NLOS). It can take up to an hour to look for holes in trees and lines that will clear buildings. Then the money stopped.
The installer only has so many hours of daylight and often has more work than he will get to in any given day. So they move on to the next one. And if the job will not fit the basic installation there are days when you just don't have the time to explain
all the extra costs to someone who was promised a free installation.
My personal favorite is the customer who lives in a forest. As you explain that the trees make it impossible to install the system they tell you,"You guys are all alike. Every installer your company has sent has said the same thing." Everyone gets to ride around for free because some sales guy didn't trust the first few NLOS reports.
But I agree with what you said about doing your best in your chosen profession.
I'm planning to do that for somebody besides DTV.

Joe

There are I'm sure great installers. The one that really ticked me off was my second one that came out and showed me where the dish could go on a pole. He shaked my hand and said he would have crew out there in two days. He was their "Senior Tech". That was 9 months ago and they never showed. He was right however because that is where I planted the pole and laid the cables. After doing it myself I don't blame them for taking off. It took me about five hours total to do everything. D* better have a plan for supplying and paying these guys what they are worth. As FIOS gets to more and more areas they are going to lose a great deal of business.

The shaddy installer I was talking about wanted 45.00 just to show up.

did you say a 10' pole?

This is not a standard install and would be considered a no line of sight on a sight survey. With the signal levels you are getting it still sounds as if you have line of sight issues on 119. If the problem that the pole was not plumb it would be hard to get the level you get on both 101 and 110. 119 is the lowest to the horizon of all five sats.

It is about 8 -10 feet. No it is not a standard slap to the house install nor is a five foot pole install but it works. I'm getting 99, 103, 101, and 110 at 95 plus levels. 119 is the lowest? I thought 99 and 103 were a bit lower than the others? If 119 is a bit lower that might explain my problem. I noticed yester day there is a small branch on a tree near the dish that could be in the sight of the dish. Could this be the problem?

It is about 8 -10 feet. No it is not a standard slap to the house install nor is a five foot pole install but it works. I'm getting 99, 103, 101, and 110 at 95 plus levels. 119 is the lowest? I thought 99 and 103 were a bit lower than the others? If 119 is a bit lower that might explain my problem. I noticed yester day there is a small branch on a tree near the dish that could be in the sight of the dish. Could this be the problem?

119 is the lowest IF you are west of 101, which is about even with Dallas TX. If you are west of there, then 119 will appear higher.

Oops! I meant if you are east of 101!

Oops again! If you are as far west as 119, then the rest of the sats will appear lower. I think I FINALLY got it!

Last edited:
If you're in Florida which I believe you said you are, or at least an area serviced by Bruister since they're south-eastern, then 119 should definitely be the lowest satellite in the sky for you.

I'm in North Florida and if I recall correctly 101 is at about 52 degrees elevation, while 119 is approximately 42 degrees. The 99 and 103 sats flank the 101 and will share similar elevation to that of the 101.

If you're in Florida which I believe you said you are, or at least an area serviced by Bruister since they're south-eastern, then 119 should definitely be the lowest satellite in the sky for you.

I'm in North Florida and if I recall correctly 101 is at about 52 degrees elevation, while 119 is approximately 42 degrees. The 99 and 103 sats flank the 101 and will share similar elevation to that of the 101.

I'm in Louisiana so that could be the problem. I'm getting in fluctuations from like 40 - 90. That tells me there is a branch in the way. Could it be a small branch without leaves close to the dish? I can't tell if is in line with the dish but I plan to cut down today after work. I hope that is it because if not it is to high for me to touch on the tree line I'm clearly. Thanks to everyone for your help an input.

You are correct, their WERE many great installers, not saying their all gone, but most are, you have nobody to thank for that but DTV themselves. Why do by the book quality job when the hacks are running around making twice as much money you are throwing them in?? DTV doesnt care as long as its activated, so why should the techs?

You are correct, their WERE many great installers, not saying their all gone, but most are, you have nobody to thank for that but DTV themselves. Why do by the book quality job when the hacks are running around making twice as much money you are throwing them in?? DTV doesnt care as long as its activated, so why should the techs?

Here is what I'm looking at if the pictures uploaded. I'm getting 99, 101, 103, 110 at 95 plus signal strength. I'm getting 119 at a steady 58 with it going up to 100 and as low as 40. I think I have a tree in the way. The thing I don't understand is why 99 and 101 seem uneffected by that strange branch to the left. However after learning here that 119 is lower it makes since.

I understand both sides of the installer and consumer. I had 8 Bruister and Ass people come out. The first guy drove up in his truck, rand my door bell and said no way. I thought that was very unprofessional and rude. The second guy came out and said he could put it where you see it and have a crew out in two days to get it done. He lied and that really ticked me off. They never showed of course. One of the last Bruister guys came out and said he could do it (NOt that they would) but I might have trouble with 119. The old guy seemed to know what he was talking about.

I've been in a family business where we serviced everyone from the poor to the rich. The poor and middle class were happy at any fish they caught. The rich wanted a Marlin and enough fish to stock their freezers. I just want people to be honest. I've been told since the 3 lnb dish that my location was impossible. Well six years later it is possible. If the Bruister liar would have told me how much work was envolved and they would do it for a certain amount of dollars I would have appreciated it and given it to them. Basically don't lie and let the consumer know what is involved. It was a B*&tch to dig the trench and hook it up. I would have gladly paid $300 for someone to do it.:)

Attachments

• Louisiana Slimline1.JPG
    Louisiana Slimline1.JPG
    315.5 KB · Views: 203
  • Slimeline2.JPG
    Slimeline2.JPG
    282 KB · Views: 212
  • Slimline3.JPG
    Slimline3.JPG
    250.6 KB · Views: 184
Igator99,
Now that I see your site I am glad I mentioned shooting them leaves! That hole in the canopy is what it looks like after a lot of shooting & some limb cuts.

You got it..until the leaves grow back.

Joe

Igator99,
Now that I see your site I am glad I mentioned shooting them leaves! That hole in the canopy is what it looks like after a lot of shooting & some limb cuts.

You got it..until the leaves grow back.

Joe

Hey Joe I understand why the Bruister folks went running away. As far as pulling out a gun.... I've thought about it but I would be put in jail. :)

119 is the lowest IF you are west of 101, which is about even with Dallas TX. If you are west of there, then 119 will appear higher.

Oops! I meant if you are east of 101!

Oops again! If you are as far west as 119, then the rest of the sats will appear lower. I think I FINALLY got it!

I'm getting the 119 now that is plumb with 80% signal strength and all my locals are back online. Thanks to everyone for the input and advice. Once again this board and the good people that post here have saved me.:up

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)