sharing service

just take it to the second house for the weekend and bring it back when you come home. Been doing that for 7 years with no issues

Dont hook it to the phone line at the other house. Now if you leave it there, that's a different story

If, say, you were going camping in your mobile home, and you had a portable dish on a tripod, I'll bet that DISH wouldn't object to your taking your receiver box with you. But if you were going to move to the campground on a permanent basis, they probably would object to your having a setup at both locations.

And what about truckers? I've seen portable DISH systems for sale at truck stops, whereby the trucker can take it with him, then set it up at whatever truck stop he parks at.

directv and dish both allow the receivers to be moved with the owner of the account. If you had two homes you could move the receivers back and forth between the two based on where you are living. According to the rules, all receivers have to be at one house, you cannot split up accounts. One way dish has combatted the practice of account "stacking" is by only allowing a total of 6 tuners per account. Direct allows an unlimited number...I have seen as many as 30 receivers on the same account when I was in the call center

It is 6 BOXES per account as the official limit at Dish. Each box may be dual tuners, providing up to 12 tuners on any one residential account. However, there are some subs who have been allowed additional boxes on one residential account. Dish has an official limit of 4 leased tuners, but subs can purchase retail additional boxes/tuners.

If you own just one receiver then it should not be an issue where you take it since you cannot account share with it. One could also purchase a prepaid Dish Network receiver in which would not get audited since they do not have your name, address, phone number, social security number, etc. You just buy the card when needed then take the box anywhere you want. The problem with that system is that you cannot get locals and they do not have a solution for those that want more than one television in their house (yet). I imagine the most anyone will ever be able to get with the current system they have now is two rooms if they release the dual tuner prepaid boxes.

You have got to be kididng me! You actually think this is okay? "Moving" is cheating the system, but this...PLEASE! :rolleyes:

"Moving" isn't cheating the system; you are paying for the service you receive. You are not hooking up a receiver at a second location, or hacking it. It if it cheating; it is ok - given the B.S. rules that networks have managed to secure through Congress.

"Moving" isn't cheating the system; you are paying for the service you receive. You are not hooking up a receiver at a second location, or hacking it. It if it cheating; it is ok - given the B.S. rules that networks have managed to secure through Congress.

That's exactly what it is. You are lying about where you live. You are deceiving Dish by saying that you live at one address while you are receiving the signal at another in order to receive something that you couldn't receive at your actual address. You are in fact cheating the system. Whether you are paying for it or not is inconsequential.

Some people think that lying to a business or person is perfectly acceptable because they either have to pay for something they think should be free, or because it gets them what they want. It's right up there with people calling up and threatening to cancel that have no intention of cancelling but want something free. We just finished a three week argument on this very issue. They threw around terms like "bleeding heart treehuggers" and we kept beating them in the head for immoral and unethical behavior.

Bottom line is they aren't going to get it until DISH or another entity adds consequences to what they're doing. Then they'll feign ignorance that they didn't know any better, or were never told that they couldn't drive 70 in a 45. Either way, best to leave this one alone. They just don't get it. People are either born with good principles and values or not, you can't give them yours.

I burn CDs and DVDs which is a form of pirating by verbiage of the law. "Moving" and "sharing service" is of the same nature. Both are illegal. But at least I don't have to call up the DVD manufacturer and lie to their face to make a copy. And at least I can admit it's still wrong, no excuses.

Last edited:
Dish could care less about "moving" as long as they get your money and as long as it is not costing them anything doing it. If they had it their way you could order any channel you want.

2 houses : ok - First post here- great site. Considering getting rid of TW cable and going dish but same issue. Have been talking with retailer about subscribing to dish at #1 house. Dual DVR + second dual receiver to service 4 TV's. Have summer cabin he suggested I buy second dish for there and take a rerceiver from my house to there for the summer. As I understand it, I would have the same level of service ( 200 pkg + locals) but locals at the cabin would be ones normally available OTA in that area. Right? SO, I see the possible issues with mooching in on my subscription at house #one and then receiving service at my other place, but what if I even don't want to lug a receiver back and forth - could I not just rent a 3rd receiver from them to deicate to the cabin. He didn't have any problems recommending I move receiver #2 back and forth. He even offered a single receiver i could buy for $120.

thanks for your thoughts - trying to convince myself to switch to dish - cost savings are the big driver.

sorry for the repetition- just read all the other posts more carefully. Apparently tho my retailer ( major WNY player) is openly telling me i can carry the reveiver to my weekend cabin. i'm not sure i want to go to the hassle - if i can buy or lease a third receiver to put there for all summer - that would be worth it but I agree, I don't need to be nickle and diming dish on this issue - I like pick my fights carefully.
also what are the references to the phone line? software updates?

That's exactly what it is. You are lying about where you live. You are deceiving Dish by saying that you live at one address while you are receiving the signal at another in order to receive something that you couldn't receive at your actual address. You are in fact cheating the system. Whether you are paying for it or not is inconsequential.

So if the person calls to move the service address to the vacation house before they leave for the weekend, and then move it back when they return, you aren't deceiving dish.

You could just buy a used receiver instead of a new one if you are not going to use it much for about half as much (I got a few available myself or he might have some). You could take one up there and leave it then just deactivate it when your not there when you go back home after the summer without changing the address all the time. Some will say that is being dishonest but if nobody is at the other home then you could just deactivate those while your not there.

The simplest way is to keep an extra receiver and just take it with you to the home when you go there then bring it back home with you that way you do not have to call Dish up everytime. If the dish is different than the one you got at your house then you will need to do a check switch everytime you move it from one house to another.

If you subscribe to Locals, you will get the locals at your service address. If you carry a receiver with you to another location, and that location is still within the spot beam footprint for those service address locals, you will continue to receive those locals. Outside the footprint, you will not receive any locals. You will NOT receive the locals in any other locale just because your receiver happens to be there.

If you can receive locals from 105 or 129 then the locals are not spotbeam but conus instead which means it can be received almost anywhere in the U.S. SuperDish uses 105 and Dish1000 uses 129. Dish500 uses 110 and 119 and most locals on a Dish500 are going to be spotbeam.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts