shootout in the UK shows that OLED outperform the best plasma TV ever

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Wish Panasonic or Samsung would get into the OLED game...

http://www.cnet.com/news/lg-says-white-oled-gives-it-ten-years-on-tv-competition/

The reason why Samsung has not entered the market. Panasonic is using LG panels. Essentially LG bought the white OLED patent from Kodak (LG bought all the Kodak OLED patents), and uses a simple RGB mask. Samsung's technology is using RGB OLED pixels. Blue is very difficult and yields were too low to market a TV. LG is claiming 80% yield at the end of 2014, probably even better now.

I saw the LG OLED the other day at my local A/V shop ... very impressive. I saw the 65", they were saying that they have a 55 out as well.

I still say that the Panasonic they used was not the best Plasma though. Maybe the best one still out there, but I prefer the Pioneer Elite over any of the other Plasmas.

If you just look at black level, yes the KRP's were slightly better than the VT/ZT60, but the 60's were better in color and motion resolution, plus having more features being a newer set. Not every "Elite" model was as good as the final KRP's as well.

The LG OLED black level and contrast ratio, especially the new ones that can do HDR, will pretty much stomp any plasma ever made. Too bad motion rez sucks right now. The good sign is it took plasma years to get good at contrast ratio, where OLED started that way. They will work out the other stuff in the next gens, supposedly the next line of LG's will have better motion rez too.

Ive talked to more than one owner and calibrator, and regardless of all that, the current LG OLEDs have "the best and most natural image they have ever seen". That statement comes from a calibrator who sees many a display in a years time.

The biggest problem that the LGs face now is simply processing power. This is what drives down motion resolution. 4k TV is a lot more pixels and the video processors that LG uses simply have not been up to the task. This of course will improve with every generation since the processors will get faster and the video resolution stays the same.

The other issue is it's sample and hold tech, just like an LCD, where as plasma and CRT were different and didn't have these issues. The LG's had better motion rez last year using LCD tricks with black frame insertion, but dropped it this year because it kills light output.

I really want LG to succeed in this area. I think OLED is a far better technology than LCD. Licensing/selling their panels to Panasonic is a good thing. I hope that sell to others, I would love to see what Pioneer could do, but alas they are out of the business. This is just the beginning of the business, over the next few years I expect OLED to really improve. If LG can get up to 95%+ on panel manufacturing it could be a game changer.

I really want LG to succeed in this area. I think OLED is a far better technology than LCD. Licensing/selling their panels to Panasonic is a good thing. I hope that sell to others, I would love to see what Pioneer could do, but alas they are out of the business. This is just the beginning of the business, over the next few years I expect OLED to really improve. If LG can get up to 95%+ on panel manufacturing it could be a game changer.

I fully agree. I did not get the OLED this go around because they still have a few quirks, but mainly because the flat was out of stock, and over $1000 more for the 65" than the XBR.

My largest complaint with the LCD is view angle, but we moved some things around and my wife and I both sit straight out from it at about 10 feet. It looks gorgeous since calibration, better than I thought an LCD could. Black performance is good too. This will easily get me to when we can get a 70+" OLED for a decent price (Im hoping 2 years). I mean a 70" UHD OLED for $4k would be fine by me, but I wasn't willing to drop $4800 for a 65" at the time.

Only other item they need to make better is motion, but Im sure that will come as well. I'm just glad there are LCD's out there that dont make me regret not having the plasma.

They stacked the deck by playing to plasma fans.

I'm more interested in what produces the best picture -- regardless of the technology.

I'm thinking about 2 years out also. I've had my plasma for 8 years now and it still looks great. I've got no complaints with it, but it is getting a bit long-in-the-tooth (both in age and technology). In 2 years, OLED will more mature and a lot less expensive for 60+inch panels. As long as my plasma stays healthy, I can wait 2 more years...

Reactions: navychop

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts