should ther be terminator on splitters ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mots-a

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 22, 2006
I have one splitter inline msplit4r1-03. has 1 out port empty. should there be a terminator in there? everything is working fine.

Last edited:
If you mean a terminator, then yes there should be one on any unused port.

fixed thanks,

the splitter In the basement has 3 lines on the outs 2 are to TVs and the 3rd one is the one use for the router and one is open.

what happens when there is no terminator? also where do I get them?
also this is the second splitter in the line. the first splitter only has 3 connected and 1 open.

Last edited:
what happens when there is no terminator? You get what are called standing waves on the line. A technical way of saying you can get interference by not having them terminated.

also where do I get them? Home Depot is a good source. Just look in the electrical section where they have all the RG6 coax items.

fixed thanks,

the splitter In the basement has 3 lines on the outs 2 are to TVs and the 3rd one is the one use for the router and one is open.

what happens when there is no terminator? also where do I get them?
also this is the second splitter in the line. the first splitter only has 3 connected and 1 open.

One issue with terminators is noise (radio interference) broadcast into the local area. Cable companies run miles of cable. When this was done near airports the aircraft communications were interrupted. The FCC used to ding the cable companies.....hence the terminators that cut down the noise. Don't know if this is still the case as digital communications on different frequencies become common. I never heard of terminators with DirecTV until they started shipping 3x4 multiswitches with termoinators. I think the idea was to keep rain out of the ports but the terminators burned out the multiswitches. The practice was ended. Plastic caps work fine for that weather protection function. Indoors....probably not necessary. With the SWM (single wire multiswitch) systems there are again splitters with live ports........don't know the current details or policy with them.

Joe

My understanding is terminators on splitters, but not on multiswitches.

I talked to 2 installers today at different times, I described my set up and they both told me I don't need them. they both said they basically use them to keep the weather out and that if the splitters where inside that it would be fine without them. please note that both these guys where in the pick up trucks with the magnets on the door.

I will just go ahead and order some back up splitters with terminators.

Those are two guys you don't want working on your installation.

for my knowledge in what way will in mess with multi room viewing?
You're letting noise in to the SWM system. MRV runs on the lowest frequency of the system. Your MRV will be first to have issues but could also cause random transponders to read 0, see random searching for signal, and liaise other off the wall issues. Terminators are on SWM splitters for a reason, they need to remain on all ports that are unused. I keep extras in my tool bag at all times

should I just screw the terminators in or shut down the system?

Make sure that you get the proper resistance value terminator, probably 75 ohm is what you need. Not all terminators are the same, the resistance varies depending on the application. For example, I have a bunch of 50 ohm terminators kicking around here from networking jobs I did before RJ45 cable was around and they look exactly like the 75 ohm ones, just the resistance is different.

I prefer this kind

Gilbert_Locking_Terminator.png

Keeps them from disapearing

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)