siruis vs xm

dlh1435

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 6, 2004
Can someone tell me which one is better?do they have the same programming?any info needed.

dlh1435 said:
Can someone tell me which one is better?do they have the same programming?any info needed.

It would be easier if you described what you like. Both offer great commercial free music. What else are you interested in? :)

I switched from XM to Sirius because I like the sports broadcasts, although XM does have MLB. I also enjoy listening to Howard Stern from time to time in the mornings.

It really depends on what you like. I currently have both. Sirius in the house and XM in both of our cars and house.

If you like listening to the NFL, NBA Sirius has them and XM does not. If you like listening to baseball it is on XM but not Sirius.

As far as music goes I find on XM you get a lot of what people call B side music as well as some hits mixed in. B side music are the songs that are on an album that were not hits. It doesn't mean they are bad just they were not as popular. In my opinion XM gives you a larger variety of music from artists.

Sirius seems to be more hit based. Meaning you hear mostly hits from bands and then some B side. I find it is great for parties where a lot of people just want to listen to music they know and like.

They both have comedy channels both censored and uncensored. They both have Kids stations. I find Sirius's kids channel to be a little better.

XM has Opie and Anthony which costs $1.99 more a month. Sirius is going to have Howard some time between now if infinity lets him out of his contract early and Jan 2006 and he will not cost any more.

As far as equipment goes. Many feel that XM has the better units, but Sirius has been closing the gap rapidly.

What equipment is needed for Sirius? I was reading about XM equipment, and for a XM-Ready radio I'd need a smart digital adaptor and a tuner box which would cost me about $100 total. I'm not sure about sirius.

for sirus you most likely are going to need a plug and play receiver like these and a car kit. Unless your head unit is also Sirius ready then you would need something like these I'm not sure what else you would need for a Sirius head unit because I'm not real familiar with them.

and note that the monthly pricing is a bit skewed. Sirius is $12.99 and comes with all its stations + internet acess for the music channels. XM is $9.99 but add $3.99 for the internet access to music channels and then another $1.99 for Opie & Anthony (if that was something you wanted). In the end, XM is a bit more if you want ALL their programming but less if you just want the radio access with no Opie & Anthony.

Sirius Tuners

Decker87 said:
What equipment do you need to get sirius in your car if your head unit is sirius ready?

You will need a Sirius tuner box. Which head unit do you have? I'm guessing a Kenwood or Clarion.

Here are most of the Sirius Tuners

Shop around, prices will vary.

I'm in the predicament of trying to make a choice and figure out which one I want to get.

I keep going back & forth on which one I want. Anyone got any advice?

Here's are a few points I'm taking into consideration:

-I listen to Howard every AM, but the rumor I'm now beginning to hear is most of the people on his show are not signed on to come with him. Robin has even just announced her TV show deal...so it looks like that rumor might be true. I also heard that Howard coming to Sirius is still contingent on number of subscribers. (I heard this from an XM sales person, so I don't know how to take that one).

-I loved Opie & Anthony when I could hear them. (Anyone listen to them now? How are they now? Same people on the air with them?)
They are pretty much the main thing drawing me toward XM. I like O&A more than Howard when they were both on the air.

So if you can't tell by now, price is not going to determine which I get because even though XM is cheaper, if I go that route I will be adding O&A, so the price will be the same when you account for their '$2 premium' rate.

-Sirius has NFL Radio. This is almost as much of a draw (for me) as O&A are to XM. A 24/7 NFL channel sounds awesome to me. I'm a huge fantasy football nut, and there's a show on every week

-The fact that Clear Channel has a stake in XM scares me a little too.

-From what I hear XM has a bit of an edge in the hardware category, but I have no doubt that Sirius will close the gap. (If they haven't begun to do that already).

So does anyone have any worldly advice on which to get?
Bottom line, where I keep finding myself stuck on is it boils down to NFL Radio & Opie & Anthony.

As far as Howard goes from what I understand everyone is going including Robin. She is doing TV as well as Radio.

I am listening to O and A right now. Rick their old producer is not there anymore he had gone to y100 in philly but I'm not sure where he is now. The important people are there. O and A and little jimmy and some of the old regulars are beggining to stop in again.

Clear Channel owns a tiny stake in XM and as far as I know they do not have any say over what XM does.

I currently have both. I find my self listening to XM more. The NFL channel is nice but I do not really enjoy listening to games on the radio.

dlh1435 said:

I've been having this same debate. From a music/news/sports talk standpoint, both are very similar. I'd like to see a channel start up on XM that is very similar to the 'Jam On' channel on Sirius, but its not a huge deal for me.

I'm going to end up with XM because of MLB. I'm a huge fan of the game and having the ability to listen to any MLB game is just tremendous. I can't wait for the season to start.

I'm also ending up with XM because I think my wife got me a MyFi for Christmas because she heard me talking about MLB coming to XM.

Irish_Flyers said:
I'm in the predicament of trying to make a choice and figure out which one I want to get.

I keep going back & forth on which one I want. Anyone got any advice?

Here's are a few points I'm taking into consideration:

-I listen to Howard every AM, but the rumor I'm now beginning to hear is most of the people on his show are not signed on to come with him. Robin has even just announced her TV show deal...so it looks like that rumor might be true. I also heard that Howard coming to Sirius is still contingent on number of subscribers. (I heard this from an XM sales person, so I don't know how to take that one).

-I loved Opie & Anthony when I could hear them. (Anyone listen to them now? How are they now? Same people on the air with them?)
They are pretty much the main thing drawing me toward XM. I like O&A more than Howard when they were both on the air.

So if you can't tell by now, price is not going to determine which I get because even though XM is cheaper, if I go that route I will be adding O&A, so the price will be the same when you account for their '$2 premium' rate.

-Sirius has NFL Radio. This is almost as much of a draw (for me) as O&A are to XM. A 24/7 NFL channel sounds awesome to me. I'm a huge fantasy football nut, and there's a show on every week

-The fact that Clear Channel has a stake in XM scares me a little too.

-From what I hear XM has a bit of an edge in the hardware category, but I have no doubt that Sirius will close the gap. (If they haven't begun to do that already).

So does anyone have any worldly advice on which to get?
Bottom line, where I keep finding myself stuck on is it boils down to NFL Radio & Opie & Anthony.

It was one morning this week Howard mentioned that everyone on his show is going with him to Sirius.

I too am debating between the 2 systems, my new job includes a company car that I will be spending a lot of time in and want a system that can easily be switched between company car and my own cars, I do not want anything that needs to be hard wired. Which is best from this stand point? Music and talk seam about even, but like the idea of the NFL channel and does anyone know which is better, Christian Talk on XM or Conservative Values talk on Sirius?

Chris Freeland said:
I too am debating between the 2 systems, my new job includes a company car that I will be spending a lot of time in and want a system that can easily be switched between company car and my own cars, I do not want anything that needs to be hard wired. Which is best from this stand point? Music and talk seam about even, but like the idea of the NFL channel and does anyone know which is better, Christian Talk on XM or Conservative Values talk on Sirius?

Both content providers produce plug and plays that are easily transported. As far as your content questions, that is a matter of your personal taste. There is no question in my mind, but you may not like what I do.

BTW, I drive a company car too and drive it a lot. I installed a Kenwood KVT 915 media center in the car. I just added twin 10" JL subs and a 500/1 amp. It is worth it to me to re-install every year and a half to have the best (at least imo). ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts