Site Survey?

viggen61

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 20, 2008
Northern New Jersey
Will a local installer do a free site survey, or would they charge for it?

I really want to get my Mom out of the clutches of TWC for TV, but someone really needs to check the site first. I believe that, with an antenna mounted to the northern end of the roof, she should be able to see the Eastern Arc satellites with no trouble. Anyplace else on her property there are trees, but from this spot, almost 30 feet above ground level, it should be able to shoot over them.

I hope!

She's in southern Maine.

Thanks!

I really want to get my Mom out of the clutches of TWC for TV, but someone really needs to check the site first. I believe that, with an antenna mounted to the northern end of the roof, she should be able to see the Eastern Arc satellites with no trouble. Anyplace else on her property there are trees, but from this spot, almost 30 feet above ground level, it should be able to shoot over them.

I hope!

She's in southern Maine.

Thanks!

Some will do it for free. You'll just have to call and ask around. We do it occasionally if we are going to be in the area. We do not if we have to go out of our way though. Usually we just get everything setup expecting it to work and if there is no line of site then we just move on to the next job and the work order expires after 30 days.

I hope!

She's in southern Maine.

Thanks!

Would you go to work for free?

All these folks have to earn a living is their time and doing free site surveys is not a way to make a living.

Even requesting it is unreasonable IMHO.

If it is actually important perhaps you can pay for it for your dear mom ????

Reactions: old corps
Would you go to work for free?

All these folks have to earn a living is their time and doing free site surveys is not a way to make a living.

If it is actually important perhaps you can pay for it for your dear mom ????

I feel the way you do about things like this a lot of times but in this case sometimes a tech is willing to swing by if they are in the area just to see if they have line of site. I would not send my tech out of his way to do it for free that's for sure.

Why not use an app to determine yourself if there is a LoS?

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Reactions: osu1991
The OP is trying to be considerate of an installer's time, not waste it, but unfortunately it's not the way the system works.

For the OP:

Just call Dish and schedule the install. If they can get it done there won't be any charge. If it makes you feel better, let them know there may be an issue, but the CSR will basically ignore the comment and schedule the install anyway.

I guess a retailer could have different practices, so check if not scheduling through Dish.

Reactions: Yespage
Yeah, if you really want to get her out of TW's clutches, just sign her up. If they can't do it, the tech leaves. You aren't under contract until they activate the receiver and that can't be done without LOS.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Reactions: viggen61
Two schools of thought on this, not passing judgment on which is better. Generally, it is okay to set it up, have the tech come out, and see if he/she can do the install. If they cannot do so, they'll wrap up quickly, and note that they found NLOS (no line of sight) at the job. If the job is set up directly through Dish, the customer has to call back in, notes that the tech had no line of sight, and the new install is cancelled, and any up-front money can be refunded to the original payment source. I don't know if it works the same though a local retailer. A tech cannot cancel the account and get your money back, the person who set up the account has to be the one that calls Dish to close it.

A word of caution: If you set up through a national retailer (InfinityDish, GoDish, I-Dish, etc), many charge a $49.99 fee to set up the account. That's not money that Dish ever sees. It's not something that Dish can refund. I don't know what policies these major retailers have in place for refunds, but I can tell you, a lot of them will try to pawn the call off on Dish and say we took the money. If you don't use a local retailer, I'd advise calling 800-333-3474. You're about 99% sure to get someone not in the USA, and your mileage may vary. But if the sales agent is taking their time and speaking clearly, you won't have anything that is non-refundable.

As a Dish employee, my opinions are my own, and do not reflect those of my employer.

Because he's in New Jersey and Mom is in Maine?????

Really ... seems to me it is pretty simple with an address.

Seems odd that OP is so passionate about dear mom and TWC but can't spring for $50 but hoping a tech will spend the $50 (time) for him .... not nice.

I don't know how the system works but if this is really an issue and Dish cuts a WO for the install and the tech finds no LOS ... does the tech get paid or just eat it?

No one needs to jump down OPs throat. There's lots of contractors that come check out a job, write up a quote and leave before they aver actually make money. He doesn't know whether we do that. It's okay, fellas.

Go with the suggestion above. Call Dish, set up the install for appropriate amount of rooms, HD, DVR etc. If the install can be done, it will be. If not, the tech will move on to the next job and you can cancel the account and get an up front charges refunded.

Reactions: Yespage
Isn't there a link at this site that shows the overlap of a Google overhead map and the line of sites for the two arcs? That was a bit helpful for me when I was struggling for LOS.

I was just asking to know what to expect! If they're going to charge me, that's fine, I'd just like to be aware so I don't call expecting something else.

I think I'll take the advice to "just call" and schedule the install. It seems the least trouble.

Follow-up Question: Can the installer determine if they have LOS before attaching anything to the house?

As for LOS, I've done Dishpointer.com, and while it's a wonderful interface, it can NOT tell me directly if putting the dish up 25-30' on the north end of the house will or will not be able to clear the tree line to the south of the house. Fortunately, Eastern Arc pointing to 72.7 goes almost directly down the roof line of her house, putting most trees at least 75 feet from where the dish would be placed. EA is wonderful with it's high pointing angle, but it's not quite as high in Maine as it is in NJ, so maybe it won't clear the tree line.

If I use the obstacle checker, I come up with 60'+ at the nearest distances for the trees, and adding 25-30' to that gives me a max tree height of 85-90 feet. But not knowing how high the trees are, I can't know that all is fine, and a dish at that location can see all three EA birds.

Techs will typically walk around and look for suitable locations and do this VISUALLY. If they have wide open spots, they don't need any "tool". If a neighboring roof or trees might be in the way, they'll get out their tools.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Reactions: viggen61
Thanks. I suspect the installer will need to get out his or her ladder to check this one. No way I can see to make a definite determination from the ground.

No one needs to jump down OPs throat. There's lots of contractors that come check out a job, write up a quote and leave before they aver actually make money. He doesn't know whether we do that. It's okay, fellas.

Go with the suggestion above. Call Dish, set up the install for appropriate amount of rooms, HD, DVR etc. If the install can be done, it will be. If not, the tech will move on to the next job and you can cancel the account and get an up front charges refunded.
Apples and oranges.

Certainly contractors give estimates. That has nothing to do with this discussion.

Thanks. I suspect the installer will need to get out his or her ladder to check this one. No way I can see to make a definite determination from the ground.

Why not just call a retailer and ask for a survey that you will be happy to pay for and tell them that it also needs to be 30' in the air.

Why not just call a retailer and ask for a survey that you will be happy to pay for and tell them that it also needs to be 30' in the air.
Why would he do that? Dish will do it for free - just not as a separate visit.

If Dish was concerned about the truck roll, they could charge a non-refundable appointment fee - or there are readily available tools to determine potential line of site issues up front and selectively charge a fee.

They don't because it is bad business practice. They don't want to scare away potential orders and place as few impediments in the ordering process as possible. They know in most instances they will get service, and any appointments they can't get line of site on is an acceptable cost of doing business.

For the OP:

Just call Dish and schedule the install. If they can get it done there won't be any charge. If it makes you feel better, let them know there may be an issue, but the CSR will basically ignore the comment and schedule the install anyway.

I guess a retailer could have different practices, so check if not scheduling through Dish.

NO.... No Op DO NOT schedule an install if you do not think or know for sure it will work!! You will punish the installer if he/she can't get the install in cause it goes against them even if you cancel while they are on their way to your home it will go against them!!! Find a retailer or someone to pay them on the side a easy $20 to come by and just take a quick look.

But do NOT schedule an install if you are not sure...far too many times have I in the past showed up to a home and the home owner already knew the answer as it wouldn't work but just figured cause a few trees were gone or for some stupid reason the satellites in space were moved that we could give them service to only find out its still a no go. That costs installers money in the long run so don't do that.

Why would he do that? Dish will do it for free - just not as a separate visit.

If Dish was concerned about the truck roll, they could charge a non-refundable appointment fee - or there are readily available tools to determine potential line of site issues up front and selectively charge a fee.

They don't because it is bad business practice. They don't want to scare away potential orders and place as few impediments in the ordering process as possible. They know in most instances they will get service, and any appointments they can't get line of site on is an acceptable cost of doing business.

So then you're saying the hell with the installer so long as OP gets a freebee? Shameful

My whole point was and is ... if there is no LOS then does the tech get stiffed for his/her time spent?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts