Site Survey?

To answer your question about that 30' height, I'm 99% certain they won't climb/walk on the roof (at least not Dish's own installer or their contracted ones - a retailer/installer might). More important, if they carry an extension ladder, it's likely to be a 24' ladder (I think those are most common).

To answer your question about that 30' height, I'm 99% certain they won't climb/walk on the roof (at least not Dish's own installer or their contracted ones - a retailer/installer might). More important, if they carry an extension ladder, it's likely to be a 24' ladder (I think those are most common).

Thanks. If it can't be done, it can't be done, but I won't know unless someone who knows comes out and looks.

Thanks again!

It seems as though the "rules" on roof-mounting changes weekly, based on what techs indicate, but you might be told "no roof mounts are allowed" or "I don't have a tall enough ladder".

Thanks. I don't want it on the roof, but attached at the fascia at the peak on the north side. Short of erecting a tower, it's the highest man-made object on the property

...They ended up putting it on the roof (20-25' up), but on the outside edge or overhang. That was a "rule" - can't be over living space (in case of leaks). I was perfectly okay with it.

Pretty much exactly where I'd want them to put it, too.

Absolutely not. I was simply asking a question.

The only issue I am aware of is that there is no LOS from the ground, so the only possible option is to mount the dish up on the side of the house at the north end, looking south along the peak of the roof looking over - I hope - the trees to the south. An option that could be worth $1,200 plus a year to Dish.

So 30' is too far up? This is a two-story house with an attic, and the first floor is a few feet above grade. My estimate is 30' to the peak of the roof, though it is likely less.

From there, it should not be a problem for a tech to attach the dish to the side of the house, and go straight into the attic (or down to the basement) with cables.

I am confident that Dish would throw the tech to the wolves for a buck but that isn't the issue.

I would not do the job (if I were a tech) as it is dangerous as described. If he had a bucket truck that would be OK.

I'm sure you will get it sorted out ......

I am confident that Dish would throw the tech to the wolves for a buck but that isn't the issue.

I would not do the job (if I were a tech) as it is dangerous as described. If he had a bucket truck that would be OK.

I'm sure you will get it sorted out ......

Dish will certainly throw the tech to the wolves if a WO is setup and it can't go in. Perhaps the Op if he really wants the install that bad can rent one of those lifts to swing the guy around to do his work... My uncle did this a while back for me to install his for just the exact same reason as it needed to go to the very very top of the roof peak and yes I drilled the lags right into the roof cause that is where it had to go and he knew that. If you want TV that bad then you must be prepared to do the impossible but also be prepared to help and supply the tech with everything they need to do it right and safely!!

If he rents a lift and the tech is in it and something happens, then what ? I'm guessing the tech is fired or strongly reprimanded, worker's comp claim will be fought and/or denied, etc, etc.

Dish will certainly throw the tech to the wolves if a WO is setup and it can't go in. Perhaps the Op if he really wants the install that bad can rent one of those lifts to swing the guy around to do his work... My uncle did this a while back for me to install his for just the exact same reason as it needed to go to the very very top of the roof peak and yes I drilled the lags right into the roof cause that is where it had to go and he knew that. If you want TV that bad then you must be prepared to do the impossible but also be prepared to help and supply the tech with everything they need to do it right and safely!!

Seriously, you are getting ridiculous now. We all get NLOS jobs now and then. It's part of the job. Nobody expects a customer to rent a cherry picker for us to install a dish...

If it can't be reached with a 28'er they should be able to get a 40'er but there is an extra charge ($50 I believe). At least that's how it is as an in house tech in my area.

The OP just needs to schedule an install and find out.

If he rents a lift and the tech is in it and something happens, then what ? I'm guessing the tech is fired or strongly reprimanded, worker's comp claim will be fought and/or denied, etc, etc.

This would be something you would get permission to do obviously from a manager and I'd trust those things way more than any ladder...sorry but this is only hypothetical guessing now.

Seriously, you are getting ridiculous now. We all get NLOS jobs now and then. It's part of the job. Nobody expects a customer to rent a cherry picker for us to install a dish...

If it can't be reached with a 28'er they should be able to get a 40'er but there is an extra charge ($50 I believe). At least that's how it is as an in house tech in my area.

The OP just needs to schedule an install and find out.

Not ridiculous at all... and I'm talking about if there is a LOS and the need to get up on that peak of the roof safely to get it installed. I'd trust those things way more than any ladder any day. Needing a 40' ladder requires two techs and then you are splitting the pay out of the job most of the time so there are a bunch of situations here that would be looked at from a tech point of view. If it looks too dangerous for even a 40' ladder then sorry its a no go and then you have the tech get hit which I guess is fine since nobody seems to care about them or safety. See what if that tech is on the edge of one more No LOS and they drop a pay grade then he will risk safety to get it done or risk losing a ton of pay for that next pay period. How does it feel to take food from their table does anyone stop and think and give any consideration of how a service technician no matter what service they come from is effected????

Wow.. I mean no wonder working for Dish is still #1 worst company to work for. They don't care about their employees no more than the common customer..shame.

I'll just end this conversation here.. cause unless you've done this job you have no idea..NO IDEA what it takes.

Not ridiculous at all... and I'm talking about if there is a LOS and the need to get up on that peak of the roof safely to get it installed. I'd trust those things way more than any ladder any day. Needing a 40' ladder requires two techs and then you are splitting the pay out of the job most of the time so there are a bunch of situations here that would be looked at from a tech point of view. If it looks too dangerous for even a 40' ladder then sorry its a no go and then you have the tech get hit which I guess is fine since nobody seems to care about them or safety. See what if that tech is on the edge of one more No LOS and they drop a pay grade then he will risk safety to get it done or risk losing a ton of pay for that next pay period. How does it feel to take food from their table does anyone stop and think and give any consideration of how a service technician no matter what service they come from is effected????

Wow.. I mean no wonder working for Dish is still #1 worst company to work for. They don't care about their employees no more than the common customer..shame.

I'll just end this conversation here.. cause unless you've done this job you have no idea..NO IDEA what it takes.
I do this job every day. So don't speak to me like I don't know what it entails. I do know. It's a little different for in house. Yes NLOS can affect my pay (for in house this really only affects our bonus). But trust me, I've done it long enough, I know the job.

I don't blame a customer for NLOS, most have no idea, and honestly it isn't on them to make sure before anyway. It's also not on the customers to worry about a techs pay. It's on them to make sure they are available when they set up an appointment, but if you can't get LOS from where you can safely acces, then you NLOS and move on.

In an ideal world people would have everything ready for us and know that it has LOS, but really... That isn't going to happen.

I am happy for you that you have moved away from the job since it bothered you so much and I am not disagreeing that it sucks that such things can affect the pay, but I don't agree that the customer should worry about it. They just want their TV and most don't know anything about this stuff.

I know that Dish has very strict rules for their techs but wouldn't a customer like seeing that. Doesn't that show the customer that Dish is serious when it comes to quality installs and service. I know this sucks for the tech but it should mean good things for the customer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)