SkyFx relaunching Skyway USA satellite

Stargazer

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Western WV
I looked on SkyFx website as they used to be a reseller of Skyway USA and it seems like they are going to relaunch the service and have no contract. I know with Exede and Hughes new satellite it will make it hard for them to compete unless they have a really good deal. Doubt the service would be much better.

Unless they're not done updating their website, I don't see how this can fly. Lets start with up front costs; $250 hardware fee, $40 freight, $150 installation (optional), $25 activation fee. Then the recurring costs; $39.95 satellite service, $9.95 dialup service. Who in their right mind would pay $474 up front ($324 for self-install), then $49.90/month for a 512k one-way satellite internet connection that limits downloading to 16MB/day? Plus - all this assumes the customer actually has a phone line. For those who've abandoned landline phones for cell phones, that's yet another monthly cost.

As far as I can recall, this is the original price structure from before they went underground. Since then, Wildblue morph'd into Exede - with a current (basic) plan of $220 upfront, $49/mo for service, and a 7.5GB/mo download limit. I expect Hughes to even better that come August. Given the alternatives, it's hard to envision how an offering like this will draw customers.

//greg//

I thought the 39.99 included the dialup service. The advantages that they would have is that the new service is supposed to have no contract and supports self / cheaper installation. I think even if they got the initial cost down to under $200 that would still be a hard sell for most. Even if they went with a cell phone return path that would eat up minutes unless you got one of those unlimited plans. I think they could attract some business by going with an initial pricepoint at $99 and $29.99 per month with a two year contract or offer no contract and charge a little more upfront such as $199. Seems like its doomed though because I don't see it dropping below 39.99. The bar has been raised quite a bit for satellite broadband with Exede and the new Hughes platform coming.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts