Sling TV Launches a Free Streaming Service Called Sling Freestream

primestar31

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 15, 2005
Beta Omicron Delta III
So all they did was rename it from Sling Free to Sling Freestream. I've subbed to Sling for almost a year now and there are a ton of "free" channels in the guide (some of which are named in the article) and with a sub you can DVR the free channels

A fair amount of them are on other sources like Roku Channel or Xumo

Yeah, just seems like a marketing-driven change. Better branding so they can push it as an alternative to those other services (or, since it's free, an addition for those customers to tinker with)

Pluto and Xumo are great services, but seem to offer a lot of duplicate content. Sounds like this is in the same category.

So I cancelled my Sling account (due to the apartment complex soon to be switching us from the Telco IPTV, which they are phasing out, to Directv Stream) and the one advantage I found by watching some of the free channels on Sling versus the other "free sites" out there is on Sling you can go back to the beginning of the show if you missed the beginning. I did that last night on a few channels.

Yeah some are better about that than others. Had a similar-ish situation On YTTV, I wanted to go back to a spot in the Super Bowl to look at the holding call after the game but had already left the channel (and it was on to the next program, and don't think you can go 'backwards' in the guide). Realized though that because it was the Chiefs game it's in my library and could just bring it up there. No different functionality-wise than most services though at that point really, except I never told it to record the Super Bowl, just that the Chiefs are one of my teams years ago.

but that is a subscription service. What I'm saying is while Sling Free, Roku Channel and Xumo (and some others) have Buzzzr, Sling I can back up to the beginning of the show if I wish. The others you do not have that luxury

Reactions: SamCdbs
While Pluto, XUMO, & Tubi seem to have the same content, I did notice that if it's "newer" stuff, Sling will at least have it usually in 1080P while the other 3 normally limit everything to 720P.

I actually use a mixture of the services as each one can have their exclusives. FreeVee/Tubi/Pluto/FreeStream/RedBox/Crackle/Popcornflix/LocalNow.

It just helps for somebody like me who wants US Classic Shows that just almost always seem to end up on FAST/AVOD services vs SVOD anymore, except Paramount+.

Reactions: Mr Tony
Freestream added 17 channels today

FAST TV, is pretty well described in the posts above. There are nearly a dozen services, but all are the same mix of a couple hundred rerun channels, showing the same 30 and 40 year old shows over and over again. Hacked up the fit in more commercial space.

You can only squeeze so much juice out of one lemon.

I had Fubo TV with HD and DVR service. Only watched History channel and CNBC. Paid $69/mo When they dropped History channel I switched to Sling TV and get History channel with DVR for $46/mo.
While that works fairly well except for skip ahead and back, which is flakey. I see the market for these streaming channels is getting more competitive.

Currently thinking of dropping Sling and switching to Frndly for $8.99/mo

Anyone else using this service?

Currently thinking of dropping Sling and switching to Frndly for $8.99/mo

Anyone else using this service?
I’ve used it before and it works really well. They’ve made some upgrades since I had it (better guide and the DVR has made some improvements). You can record just new shows or all episodes. You have a 7 day trial to try it out.

Reactions: TheForce
Thanks. I signed up for the $8.99/mo service to test it out. Considering I only watch CNBC content now in shorts on YT, I don't see the need for having the news shows full programs. Just a waste of time, IMO. If it works, I'll be dropping SlingTV.

Reactions: Mr Tony
I guess they will be adding 5 total this week
Here are the five new channels that will be added this week:

• IMPACT Wrestling Channel: The 24-hour Wrestling Channel puts the spotlight on incredible professional wrestling action, featuring addictive storylines, awe-inspiring athleticism and larger-than-life personalities.
  • Fight Network: Fight Network delivers complete coverage of combat sports and is recognized as the destination for combat sports enthusiasts around the world.
  • Nosey: It’s time to get Nosey! Watch America’s most successful daytime television shows, like “The Jerry Springer Show,” “The Maury Show,” “Judge Dad”, and many more.
  • Real Nosey: Who is guilty? Who will pay up? It’s not enough to be just Nosey; be “Real Nosey with Steve Wilkos,” “Divorce Court,” and more.
  • Chardikla Time TV CKTimeTV is one of the top Punjabi channels

I cancelled the Sling account today as the Frndly service is giving me what I used Sling for at a much lower price. Plus the skip ahead FF is not flakey like it was on Sling DVR.

When I cancelled, I they said to keep the app and experience the new Free Sling TV. I'll check it out but not sure it will have what I might miss from the paid version. Does it have CNBC? That might be all I would miss by not paying for Sling.

I have both the Roku's & Fire Sticks. With the Fire sticks, I add the free services to my guide along with OTA, as I have the ReCast. There is a lot of duplication between the free services, however they all carry some different channels. So I have added "Favorites" where I can pull from each one, along with the OTA. Out here on the coast, we do not have all diginets OTA, like ION, Buzzr, etc, so I add those along with the OTA, giving me a lot of channels.

Saw Sling Free added 8 channels this week
5 added the other day were Spanish channels

Today 3 more were added
Today Sling TV and Cinedigm announced a new partnership to bring three new channels to Sling TV’s free streaming service Freestream.

This deal will add Midnight Pulp, The Country Network and AsianCrush. This is on top of the already available Screambox TV, The Bob Ross Channel, Retro Crush, Docurama, and more