Slingbox 350 and 500 show up at Best Buy

Great info, thanks. If as the article speculates there is no tuner, that is a huge drawback, easily enough I would not upgrade.

Because it allows you to watch TV without any cable or satellite equipment. It allows you watch programming without effecting what someone is watching. It has it's own guide. Yes it works with most anything that has outputs, but very much less versatile without the tuner.

New Slingboxes!

Hats off to Dave Zatz who went to his local Best Buy yesterday and found on the shelf some new unannounced Slingboxes!

The Slingbox 350 and the Slingbox 500.

The differences between the 350 and 500 is the 500 has HDMI, WIFI and local media playback. (Note the HDMI does not support HDCP which can be an issue.)

I am leaning twards the 350 as I have ethernet switches next to each of my TV locations so I don't need WIFI. I dont want to use HDMI because of the HDCP issues, and there is no work what local media playback means or how it actually works.

Both boxes can send out video in formates up to 1080p. But it looks like in order to watch you have to go throught the watch.slingbox.com website instead of using standalone Slingplayer software.

Got to admit I am excited about there finally being a new Slingbox model!

Read all about them at the link below!

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2012-09/unannounced-slingbox-350-500-hit-best-buy/#more-32250

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope they release these models in Japan. The 500 would be perfect for where we are currently using an old Slingbox AV. We could get rid of the ethernet cable, and won't need an HDMI-Comp adapter.

The reason that a Japan-specific model is preferred is because they come equipped with remote files specifically for Japanese devices. Currently, they only market the Slingbox HD-Pro there.

Scott are you saying you will have to go through their site to watch the new models, or only if you want 1080P. Having to go through their site for everything would also a huge problem. Just for 1080P not so much.

Sounds like a 350 for me, since the 500 isn't HDCP compliant no need for it, to replace my PRO-HD. Can't wait to stream some 1080P on my FIOS while away from home, should be sweet.

What would the advantage of this 350 be over the current model? Wouldn't this be a downgrade having to go through Dish Network's website to view the content? Why would they do that for?

These snuck in under the radar ;)

Stargazer:

The only reasons I can think of are to track viewing and/or copy protection with copy protection being the likely suspect IMO.

Nope. To start charging. Forcing going through their website (IF that is true) makes it easier to charge, and they could theoretically charge for the higher 1080P.
If these would need to use their website for everything, and have no tuner, that is a major disappointment.

On a possible bright side - They just released an updated Android app, and it now has an electronic guide for the tuner just like the computer app has. It is sweet - works fantastically. The whole UI has been redesigned. IF....... this was done in anticipation of the new slingboxes, perhaps there is or at least will be one with a tuner coming out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts