Slingloaded HD DVR922 at CES

Hmmm .... Dish Network better make sure it gets all the bugs out of this 922 box before they release it to customers. My 722 has had bigtime problems with "audio dropouts". I'm thinking about ditching Dish Network and going with AT&T "U-Verse" since it is coming to my area (Raleigh, NC). :) It sounds very similar to Verizon's FIOS service, which I hear is awesome.

AT&T launches U-verse in N. Carolina and Florida | HD-Report

Good luck with the U-Verse DVR...

I'm interested in hearing more about watching DVR shows on my iPhone. Anyone know if Sling is smart enough to stream a show across 3G or would it be a WiFi only option?

Hopefully AT&T won't have a problem with 3G streaming from Slingbox. Certainly a ton of youtube is already being streamed. Having access to my DVR library would be tremendous!

(Now if it access the external storage hooked to my DVR as well...)
I Sling to my ATT Windows smartphone via 3G. I see no reason why they would have a problem with their other 3G phones doing it.

According to Reuters, the 922 will only be $199:

CES-UPDATE 1-New Dish Network DVR has Slingbox technology | Markets | Markets News | Reuters

That has got to be a mistake.
Why. That sounds like the typical lease upgrade fee for an "advanced" receiver. I believe 722's had the same new sub upgrade fee when they were first released.

It looks like I'm gonna be down for 2 of these puppies when they come out, and I sign up as a new sub. (I've been gone long enough to qualify as a new sub. So, I got that goin' for me...which is nice.)

This video i just uploaded of a 922 review at CES by G4 shows the Iphone playing the sling media and it's a good video to watch.
check out what G4 had to say besides drooling over it
They discuss the remote stuff too and an HD tablet that will be used with the 922 w/ sling to use around the house, nice!

I didn't use youtube because G4 will delete it for copyright in no time so it's on clipser.com

just watch the video :)

clipser - CES 922 demo

The Sling rep I talked to at CES today said they were "hopeful" of getting AT&T's approval on 3g streaming. But nothing written in stone as of yet.
Why do they need approval? It's an app that runs on a phone that has an unlimited data plan. As I said, I have no problem running SlingPlayer on a Windows Mobile ATT phone on their 3G network. Why would the iPhone be different?

btw, CES on G4 just ended and the 4 hosts gave their fav 'stuff' from the show and the 922 was Kevin Pereiras pick as the best of the CES as it's going to set the standard for this form of media hardware

Why do they need approval? It's an app that runs on a phone that has an unlimited data plan. As I said, I have no problem running SlingPlayer on a Windows Mobile ATT phone on their 3G network. Why would the iPhone be different?

I clearly asked if this was going to work via 3g, since I'm usually never in a place (other than my home) that has Wi-fi, and the gentleman stated that it had to have AT&T's approval before that feature could be implimented. I guess, since it could put extra burden on the network, it needs to be approved first. I have no clue. He didn't think it was going to be a problem, though. I guess that's something you're going to have to ask AT&T about.

These two dorks also mentioned $199.

That's really strange. That's now two different sources that say $199. A slingbox alone costs more than that. I talked to Jan Johnson, over at the Dish Network booth, and he said that they haven't finalized any pricing, upgrade offers, or anything else as of yet. That's very puzzling, but I hope $199 is true, because I was thinking more along the lines of say $400+.

Does it or will it have dual HD output? 2 HD tuners or can we hope for three?

That's really strange. That's now two different sources that say $199. A slingbox alone costs more than that. I talked to Jan Johnson, over at the Dish Network booth, and he said that they haven't finalized any pricing, upgrade offers, or anything else as of yet. That's very puzzling, but I hope $199 is true, because I was thinking more along the lines of say $400+.

It most likely a $199 upfront charge to LEASE the box.

It does have a 2nd HD output but it's over Ethernet, you will need the HD upgraded SlingCatcher to connect it to another HD TV. Down the road, they may add multiple streams but I doubt it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)