SlingPlayer 2.0 (compatable) -link

SolApathy

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
May 28, 2005
Here is a link for cnet to download the Slingplayer 2.0 software which allows you to still remotely connect without going through the dish site.

[ame=http://download.cnet.com/SlingPlayer/3000-2139_4-10573277.html]SlingPlayer - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com[/ame]

Any version older than whatever is current will "want" you to upgrade. I just ignore. I am sticking with version 1.5

Will new upgraded sling software work? How about one in HD?

The current version does not, it tells you the 922 is not supported and to go to the web site.

I'm not sure if they'll release a new version that will support it, until then I'll stick with this one.

yeah just tell it not to alert you about updates...At least until Dish get the hint that using the Dish site is a bad idea.

MAC software doesn't work..

Tried the 2 previous versions they both say the 922 is not supported - Use the Dish website... What a stupid idea...It's like Dish does stupid things on purpose...

when you install the player from the link do not upgrade. If you upgrade you lose functionality.

Use the Dish website... What a stupid idea...It's like Dish does stupid things on purpose...
They did do it on Purpose.

Its such a pain in the ass to watch through the website... maybe if they had a button on their homepage to put you in your Slingbox without needing to login then going to your account, then remote access, then clicking watch on the web..

I just want to click on button and watch... thats it.

If you update it, you will not longer be able to watch the 922 with the Sling software.

We really should protest to make them let us use the Slingplayer software with our 922's.

A BIG +1

I fully expected to use the Slingplayer or Slingplayer like software. I went with the VIP922 to replace a TV card in my computer and be able to watch sat rather than just OTA. I like being able to view in a sizeable window and not be tied to a web page or full screen.

Additionally, I can mot understand why I can not get full HD when running over my network and even if we are going via the Dish website, I should have sufficient bandwidth to view HD, not just SD.

I hope that this is a temporary situation where Dish/Sling are attempting to get the Slingplayer software working properly across the different hardware and that having to go via the Dish website is their way of getting the VIP922 to market on a quick fix.

To you beta testers - is there hope.... were you ever able to use Slingplayer software?

When streaming from LAN, does the audio/video stream have to travel to dish and then back to you? It would not make any sense for it to work this way, but having to go to dish.com to stream doesn't either..

We really should protest to make them let us use the Slingplayer software with our 922's.

Amen. I really don't understand what they have to gain with this scope of control. No doubt their servers will become overloaded. It infuriates me that I must rely on my slow WAN upstream speeds when I have gigabit LAN throughout the house. Internet speeds should be irrelevant.

They did do it on Purpose.

Its such a pain in the ass to watch through the website... maybe if they had a button on their homepage to put you in your Slingbox without needing to login then going to your account, then remote access, then clicking watch on the web..

I just want to click on button and watch... thats it.
Agreed..get it off the account page!
I don't want my kids to have to login to my dish account to watch SpongeBob on their computer and screw up the account--scary to think they could deactivate a box or order the playboy channel :eek: I found out that by copying the dish/sling url that I can go directly to sling and sign in with my dish login to bypass the account page.
But I can not wait for the stand alone software!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts