Smaller Substitute for Slimline for Campers and Tailgaters

Status
Please reply by conversation.
hello
this is my first reply/post as I just joined satellite guys today and have a question regarding the SL3 non-SWM LNB for 99-101-103 satellites: I live in SE Georgia/Savannah DMA area (zip 31545, Jesup, Ga.) and am not sure if my locals come from 119 or 99 sats. Is there a way to determine which satellite transmits my locals...ie. 119 or 99 as I wish to utilize the SL3 setup ?
any ideas are welcome.

thanks

For starters, :welcome to Satelliteguys!
Just to be clear, the local channels on 119 are sd. The locals on 99 and 103 are in hd.

1/02/2011 @ 8:30 pm

Schneid:

thanks for the info sir. I've been a Directv customer since 1994 (nov.) and was up on all the teck stuff until the last several years when I retired in 2004. unfortunately when I retired and moved back to south georgia, I made the mistake telling my friends about satellite TV and now my phone rings off the hook. just yesterday I installed an old AT9-side car I've had stored in my shop the past 4 years at a friends cook house and it worked on the first sighting...

anyway, appreciate your response.
larry
jesup, ga.

Any ideas on how to improve on this Elevation Fine Tuner?

http://tv4rv.com/conversion.pdf

This elevation adjustment method works well for me:
smallcropdish.jpg

Unholy Alliance, DirecTV HD via "Dish" dish.

When I first started playing with the Phase III with an SL3 to get HD on a dish smaller than a Slimline, I had mixed results. It worked very well in AZ but when I returned to No. NV it was marginal. I had read on the DBS Talk thread that a "Dish" 1000.2 could be used instead of the Phase III with better results so I bought one over the never-ending winter. The bolt pattern matched my Phase III mast assembly but, on my first try in early April, I got no signal. It was too cold to keep trying.

From here it got messy. I had a PM from a DBS Talk member that stated I could swap in my Slimline arm which is longer. Yesterday, between storms, I tried that and it worked but still not good enough. Signals weren't bad but the elevation settings were different which would drive one nuts during setup. I had also read a post on DBS Talk where a member had scabbed the SL3 to the top of a "Dish" arm. So, I took my Phase III arm and played for an hour or so with different positions, length from the pan and height from the Slimline arm. I ended up with 90 on the 101 and mid 70's on the 99 and 103. Good enough and the elevation setting is close to stated.

The distance from the "Dish" reflector edge to the SL3 arm insertion point is 18 5/16".

The photo shows a Phase III mast and back plate mated to a Slimline arm and "Dish" 1000.2 pan. Bolted to the top of that is a Phase III arm mated to an SL3. The 1000.2 measures 18 X 22 which is much smaller and lighter than a Slimline.

All that is now needed is some sanding and paint to remove the "Dish" logo.

IMG_0154.JPG

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)