navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
Anyone here have a Smart Car?

I am about to order one at my company. I was wondering if anyone had one and could say how well the air conditioning and heating works. And any other comments.

And- do you use regular, mid or premium gas? It's listed as requiring 91 (mid) but the verbage says premium.

Under the new, tighter EPA MPG estimates, it's 33/41. Looks like a Passion Coupe will roll out the door for a bit over $16,000.

Here's the kicker- it's a 12-16 month lead time. That means we'll order one now, and actually be ordering the 2009 model, sight unseen. No word out yet on what kind of options the 2009 model will have, or the actual pricing.

It has a 1.0L 3 cyl engine. The tranny is an automatically shifted manual with no clutch pedal. Or you can shift it yourself. Edmund's in one part says it has a CVT, but it is NOT a CVT. No word on when or if the 3 cyl diesel or CVT will make it over here from Europe.

I am about to order one at my company. I was wondering if anyone had one and could say how well the air conditioning and heating works. And any other comments.

And- do you use regular, mid or premium gas? It's listed as requiring 91 (mid) but the verbage says premium.

Under the new, tighter EPA MPG estimates, it's 33/41. Looks like a Passion Coupe will roll out the door for a bit over $16,000.

Here's the kicker- it's a 12-16 month lead time. That means we'll order one now, and actually be ordering the 2009 model, sight unseen. No word out yet on what kind of options the 2009 model will have, or the actual pricing.

It has a 1.0L 3 cyl engine. The tranny is an automatically shifted manual with no clutch pedal. Or you can shift it yourself. Edmund's in one part says it has a CVT, but it is NOT a CVT. No word on when or if the 3 cyl diesel or CVT will make it over here from Europe.

I have 2 of them. The first one is a 2006 that was one of the last actually built by Mercedes and had a Mercedes engine and drivetrain.
I purchased it from a company in Ca. that imported 1500 of them and converted them to US standards.

I just recently recived my 2008 model. It isn the one now being sold by Penske Auto group. The new models are actually built by Mercedes, but have a Mistubsihi drive train.

As far as size, the car is great. I am 6'4" and 3oo lbs. I fit fine. They both have excellent head and leg room. They both are great around town, but are subject to alot of wandering and drifting on the higway if you try to drive over 65. The heat and air work well, except in very high heat, say about 95 or more, it struggles to keep up, especiallt the 2008. The 2006 has more power because it has a turbo, the 2008 doesn't have a turbo, but shifts smoother. That said, they both shift terribly. The transmissions are set up to drop engine power when it shifts to prevent drivetrain stress and they change gears very abruptly and jerky. The 2008's were supposed to not be as rough as the 06's, but they are.

As far as gas mileage, it averages the high 30's. If your main plan is to drive around town alot, they are great. Not so much in highway driving. But they are neat looking and you get a lot of people looking at you all the time.

In my opinion, save a few thousand and buy a Honda Fit or Toyota yaris or Nissan. They all cost less, get the same mileage or better and are bigger cars that feel more stable on the highway. But if you wnat to draw attention to yourself, get the Smart.

Why not get a civic? It has better gas mileage and its bigger.

Thank you for the info. I am aware of the shifting. New skills need to be learned to shift smoothly, since it is not an automatic with a torque converter. That's how it was "delicately" put to me. To eke out extra mpg, it's a manual that can be shifted automatically or manually. But no clutch pedal. I'll have to put up with that. I will test drive on Monday.

I was concerned about the a/c. Might have to take a chance there. And in another 12-16 months, it might not be so uncommon anymore, drawing less attention.

Real world, high 30s? Great. That agrees with what I'm hearing around here (upper 30s). And I don't plan on taking it on the highway. I might go as far as 100 miles in it on the interstate, rarely, but even that is unlikely.

It's a fleet purchase, so prices may be a bit less than walk-ins or Edmund's.

Similarly equipped, I come up with the following:

Smart 2008 EPA: 33/41

Civic:...2008 EPA: 25/36 Probably cost about the same, or maybe up to a couple grand more.
Fit:......2008 EPA: 27/34 Probably cost from a couple grand less to about the same price.
Yaris:...2008 EPA: 29/35 Probably cost from a thou less to about the same price. Bad reviews.
Versa:..2008 EPA: 24/32 Probably cost one or two thou less.

I will probably be the primary driver of this vehicle. What I want is a plug in overnight pure electric that can go at least 45 mph. Failing that, the 60 mpg diesel CVT version of the Smart- only available in Europe. So that puts me here, looking at a nice, small vehicle that I can commute in, 10 miles each way. And has good crash ratings and 4 air bags. And room for my wife & I to go grocery shopping. There's a lot of room in the back for grocery bags.

I'm still hoping the diesel will come out next year, or at least the CVT. Or maybe even just some shifting or mpg improvements. But this is about the highest mileage car at a low price that I can get. Also looked at the mini-cooper. Don't a$k.

BTW, I should emphasize that this vehicle is being bought by the company where I work and the die has been cast, so to speak.

Thanks for the input.

What octane gas do you use, thecristman?

Hybrid of today would be nowhere near as cost effective.

Thank you for the info. I am aware of the shifting. New skills need to be learned to shift smoothly, since it is not an automatic with a torque converter. That's how it was "delicately" put to me. To eke out extra mpg, it's a manual that can be shifted automatically or manually. But no clutch pedal. I'll have to put up with that. I will test drive on Monday.

I was concerned about the a/c. Might have to take a chance there. And in another 12-16 months, it might not be so uncommon anymore, drawing less attention.

Real world, high 30s? Great. That agrees with what I'm hearing around here (upper 30s). And I don't plan on taking it on the highway. I might go as far as 100 miles in it on the interstate, rarely, but even that is unlikely.

It's a fleet purchase, so prices may be a bit less than walk-ins or Edmund's.

Similarly equipped, I come up with the following:

Smart 2008 EPA: 33/41

Civic:...2008 EPA: 25/36 Probably cost about the same, or maybe up to a couple grand more.
Fit:......2008 EPA: 27/34 Probably cost from a couple grand less to about the same price.
Yaris:...2008 EPA: 29/35 Probably cost from a thou less to about the same price. Bad reviews.
Versa:..2008 EPA: 24/32 Probably cost one or two thou less.

I will probably be the primary driver of this vehicle. What I want is a plug in overnight pure electric that can go at least 45 mph. Failing that, the 60 mpg diesel CVT version of the Smart- only available in Europe. So that puts me here, looking at a nice, small vehicle that I can commute in, 10 miles each way. And has good crash ratings and 4 air bags. And room for my wife & I to go grocery shopping. There's a lot of room in the back for grocery bags.

I'm still hoping the diesel will come out next year, or at least the CVT. Or maybe even just some shifting or mpg improvements. But this is about the highest mileage car at a low price that I can get. Also looked at the mini-cooper. Don't a$k.

BTW, I should emphasize that this vehicle is being bought by the company where I work and the die has been cast, so to speak.

Thanks for the input.

What octane gas do you use, thecristman?

I use 91 octane on the 2006 as it has a turbo. I use 87 in the 2008. I tried premium and it didn't seem to make a difference.

Hybrid of today would be nowhere near as cost effective.

Not sure if you were answering me but,,,,,,

I agree. I just wondered how he thought the Ciivc got better mileage. It might be true of the hybrid bit not the gas version.

I think the Smart car is an excellent idea for those living in populated urban areas. However, the 2 or 3 I've seen tooling about in the burbs, while noticable, were certainly out of place. Our next vehicle is going to be a bit more practical while still getting good mileage and having all the bells and whistles.

Well folks, I just got back from the test drive.

As we started out, I let it do the shifting automatically. There is a small but definite lurch as it shifts. I could get accustomed to that, but would not be happy with it. I asked the sales critter about it. He states the car has been sold in the US for only 2-3 months and this is a new drive train. Not the engine/tranny they use in Europe. So I asked if he thought it might be improved with a firmware update. He thought so (big surprise, right?).

Anyway, he was talking about how after a couple of weeks, most people tended to use it like a manual transmission and do the shifting themselves. So I pulled off into a neighborhood where there was less traffic to try shifting it manually.

Smooth as silk. I could shift that baby so easy and so smooth- no lurches. So obviously they CAN update the computer to make it shift smoother. Doesn't matter. I had fun driving that way. I get to shift again, and no clutch pedal to bother with.

It was almost peppy. Not a sports car, but I had no qualms about accelerating and merging into traffic. I did not get it over 60 due to traffic, and did not put it on the interstate. Most driving was between 30 & 50. I'd say it was maybe 20 minutes behind the wheel. I don't see any problem about running it on the highway for a couple of hours, but I doubt I'd want to drive it cross country. 5 or 6 hours in it would be a bit much for me.

But it's fairly roomy. I'm just shy of 6 feet, and did not feel cramped at all. I think I had the seat back one notch shy of full back. There are some blind spots in the back due to the rear pillars, but not bad. Certainly not as bad as the Gremlin. And it has a five star crash rating.

While I was there, I learned that one of the cars that came in was available for immediate sale. The woman who ordered it released it because she bought another car while waiting. 16 month estimated lead time. I could have bought it right there- it's first come first served. They'll call the people on the waiting list to give them a shot, but if someone is in the showroom and wants it, it's sold to them. That happens once or twice a month at this dealership. He said it would be sold before the end of the day.

Well folks, I just got back from the test drive.

As we started out, I let it do the shifting automatically. There is a small but definite lurch as it shifts. I could get accustomed to that, but would not be happy with it. I asked the sales critter about it. He states the car has been sold in the US for only 2-3 months and this is a new drive train. Not the engine/tranny they use in Europe. So I asked if he thought it might be improved with a firmware update. He thought so (big surprise, right?).

Anyway, he was talking about how after a couple of weeks, most people tended to use it like a manual transmission and do the shifting themselves. So I pulled off into a neighborhood where there was less traffic to try shifting it manually.

Smooth as silk. I could shift that baby so easy and so smooth- no lurches. So obviously they CAN update the computer to make it shift smoother. Doesn't matter. I had fun driving that way. I get to shift again, and no clutch pedal to bother with.

It was almost peppy. Not a sports car, but I had no qualms about accelerating and merging into traffic. I did not get it over 60 due to traffic, and did not put it on the interstate. Most driving was between 30 & 50. I'd say it was maybe 20 minutes behind the wheel. I don't see any problem about running it on the highway for a couple of hours, but I doubt I'd want to drive it cross country. 5 or 6 hours in it would be a bit much for me.

But it's fairly roomy. I'm just shy of 6 feet, and did not feel cramped at all. I think I had the seat back one notch shy of full back. There are some blind spots in the back due to the rear pillars, but not bad. Certainly not as bad as the Gremlin. And it has a five star crash rating.

While I was there, I learned that one of the cars that came in was available for immediate sale. The woman who ordered it released it because she bought another car while waiting. 16 month estimated lead time. I could have bought it right there- it's first come first served. They'll call the people on the waiting list to give them a shot, but if someone is in the showroom and wants it, it's sold to them. That happens once or twice a month at this dealership. He said it would be sold before the end of the day.

I have a friend who works for Mercedes and he says that there is no firmware upgrade that will smooth out the shifts. The way it shifts was done on purpose to prevent too much torque load on the transmission. The lurch is actually the motor being cut off to prevent tranny wear. They feel the transmission will last longer with fewer problems the way it is. Any attempt to change the shift pattern will void the factory warranty.

Ouch. Then would it be hard on the tranny to shift manually, and smoother? I'd think the lurching would be harder on the tranny. I guess cutting the motor and re-engaging helps. ???

Think it's unsafe? Cramped?

It's got space, just for 2 not 4 or 6. Two fit nicely. I'm surprised at how much space is available in back for groceries, etc.

That safety cell design of theirs seems to work pretty well. Watch clips at their site and on youtube as they crash them.

BTW, there are a few all-electric Smart Cars, mostly in Europe. None in the U.S. yet. Lot's of stories about them coming here, either as built by Smart or by conversions. Nothing firm.

The new Smart offers more power, more options, more safety features, and a distinctive cockpit. They are available in six interior color trims and six color choices.The 2008 Smart Cabriolet is larger than its predecessor, but it's still outrageously small, some 40 inches shorter than a Mini.here is the link is more useful to us regarding smart car, Smart Car Video Collection, with Smart Car Videos

The new Smart offers more power, more options, more safety features, and a distinctive cockpit. They are available in six interior color trims and six color choices.The 2008 Smart Cabriolet is larger than its predecessor, but it's still outrageously small, some 40 inches shorter than a Mini.here is the link is more useful to us regarding smart car, Smart Car Video Collection, with Smart Car Videos

Sounds like a sales pitch to me. Shouldn't this be in the classifieds section?

Hmmmm. Welcome to the forum. Interesting moniker. I hope to see more postings from you, on many topics. Sometimes there's a new member that posts just once pushing a product or site, or a few times, and we never hear from them again. But since the Smart Car has a 12-16 month backlog, there's certainly no need for that sort of promotion! Anyway, the link looks promising.

Just to update, yesterday the president signed the order for one Smart Car. Actually, he signed an order to get a slot in line to be allowed to order one at some future date. No idea when that future date will be. Sigh. Most fleet vehicles we order, are ordered with a 4 month lead time. It's hard enough to project that far in advance (turnover, accidents, breakdowns, etc). A year!

Given the way fuel prices are going, I suspect that order lead time will only grow. This purchase is really an experiment in how cheap can we get a vehicle, in terms of full life cycle costs. Would I rather have a larger, presumably safer vehicle? Sure. But that's not the purpose of this purchase, and it will be almost exclusively a commuter. It may turn out to not be very cost effective, given the 91 octane fuel (if we stick with that) and the concerns about the drive train. If that transmission is weak, it could drive up costs.

We may not like such tiny cars, but as fuel heads past $5/gallon, I'm sure we'll see more of them. More Smarts and more by other companies.

Just a few things I've learned, in case anyone might be interested in getting one: If you order the "comfort package" it makes the interior color black. And for the Passion, you can get the basic radio, or the top line radio, but not the mid level radio. There are very few options. You can get from the dealer, not the factory, things like a snap in CD rack, snap in sunglasses holder, LoJack, luggage cover & net. And the car does not come with a spare tire. It has some sort of fix a flat thing.

Just for the heck of it, you might sit in one to see what it's like. I had to make an appointment to test drive it. Might make another one for my wife to see what they're like.

We did a test drive of the Smart car back in December (they had a traveling tour that happened to be in my parents town over the holidays). It was fun...liked the steering shifting, decent headroom/legroom.

Overall, however, we felt it was overpriced for what you got. If it was $12K tops, then it might make more sense imho.

We also looked at used Toyota Prius, but in the end, it still pegged over our price-to-value estimates for overall fuel savings and base price cost. Good car, though, down the line I'll be interested in considering it as a trade-up/in.

We ended up with a nicely appointed (for what it is--decent radio w/ iPod/aux connect, leather steering wheel cover, all-season mats, fog lights, keyless security, alloy wheels, etc) Honda Fit Sport. As you listed comparative price-points, it's very economically priced without feeling too 'toy'ish, and it's hatchback functionality (multi-position 60/40 split seats) is fantastic. Not bad for 16K. The Sport version of the Fit has steering wheel shifters like the Smart, funny enough, for a semi-manual/auto feel (toggling up/down 1-2-3-D on the auto tran...haven't really tested it out, though). So far, quite happy.

I know the company car is purchased--just thought I'd share the parallel considerations we made.

And as an aside, noticed this past weekend that our new neighbors across the street have a red Smart car (and a Prius...a number of Prius on our street, which I found odd/interesting as there are a lot of older/retired couples on our block). The Smart owner introduced herself to my wife today, might have to ask about how she likes her ride.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)