Snap noise

ripnbigc

Freeze Sucker!
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
Wichita, Ks
My folks recently got a hopper 2 joey setup. Well I was up visiting them last weekend and found that the installer had hooked up sound to their Yamaha receiver with good old red and white stereo cables. I replaced them with an optical cable so they could get 5.1 sound. Got a call from them last night, the problem they are having is, every time they un-pause a recording they get a loud arc sound for a second. Doesn't happen when pausing and un-pausing a live program. Anyone ever heard of this? Of course they live 3 hours away.

Double check what kind of sound setting the surround can handle. By default the Hopper puts out Dolby/PCM with auto volume leveling (menu>settings>audio if I recall, not at tv ATM). Try turning off the leveling or settings to PCM only. After you change the settings, do a simple power on/off for the box to update the volume output.

I know my sound bar only supports PCM. If I have dolby turned on, I get a horrible buzzing sound.

Double check what kind of sound setting the surround can handle. By default the Hopper puts out Dolby/PCM with auto volume leveling (menu>settings>audio if I recall, not at tv ATM). Try turning off the leveling or settings to PCM only. After you change the settings, do a simple power on/off for the box to update the volume output.

I know my sound bar only supports PCM. If I have dolby turned on, I get a horrible buzzing sound.

Yep. Should be PCM only.