So desperate for NBR, considering ditching 721 for 522

120inna55

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 14, 2003
Athens, Texas, United States
Can I do that? E*'s site says 522 not available for purchase by existing customers, but I thought I read somewhere on this forum that they would be available for sale in February.

So, if I did get a 522, could I just replace my 721 by connecting the same tuner inputs (and, of course activating it), or is it trickier than that? I would be using the 522 in single-user mode.

I got Dish500 pointed @ 110, 119 and a Dish300 pointed @ 61.5 all going to DP34 coming in to my 721 (2-tuners) and 811 (for HD).

I wish I could just get 1 receiver that had 2 tuners and could record HD with NBR and (here's the kicker) MPEG4 capable!

right now Dish won't activate 522's for current customers, so even if you got one, they won't activate it and therefore it would be pointless to get one right now. The reason why I say right now, well, on the last chat they talked like they will be offering it to current customers soon. So I'd wait, besides, who knows what they will be doing with the 721, they may add NBR on it soon as well! Who Knows! But don't get a 522 and expect to be able to activate it right now!

tonyp56 said:
right now Dish won't activate 522's for current customers, so even if you got one, they won't activate it and therefore it would be pointless to get one right now. The reason why I say right now, well, on the last chat they talked like they will be offering it to current customers soon. So I'd wait, besides, who knows what they will be doing with the 721, they may add NBR on it soon as well! Who Knows! But don't get a 522 and expect to be able to activate it right now!
I wouldn't say they wont because 99.9% of the time they will as long as its NOT a "leased" receiver. You just have to go in through the "back" door.
Check out THIS thread it will explain how to.
But like Tony said I would just wait till Dish makes it avalible because it might end up being cheaper to get it from them.

This post might fall into the category of "easy for you to say," but now that I've had NBR on the 522 for a few weeks, I'm not sure why this feature gets so much hype. Maybe it's because the shows I watch don't change times very often. In any case, it hasn't "revolutionized" the way I use the DVR like my Tivo friends predicted it would.

Let me narrow it down for you...

120inna55 said:
So, if I did get a 522, could I just replace my 721 by connecting the same tuner inputs (and, of course activating it), or is it trickier than that? I would be using the 522 in single-user mode.

...Now, as posted, assuming it is activated would the hook-up be the same????

:confused:

rhasselbaum said:
In any case, it hasn't "revolutionized" the way I use the DVR like my Tivo friends predicted it would.
You need to expand a bit... think of some old shows or movies that you've not seen in a long time and program them in.

If I understand the Dish NBR docs correctly, you should be able to have it auto-record any program with "motorcycle racing" in the description, or auto-record any program titled "ECHOSTAR RELOADED". :D Great features for catching specific stars, old programs, old movies, etc. that you've not seen for a while.

The Tivo's do the same but with a bit more granularity - example: On my DirecTvio I have a 'Wishlist' setup for actor "Tom Hanks" if he appears specifically on a talk show, but it will not auto-record if he appears in a movie.

Tivos even have a notion of 'suggestions', in which they will autorecord anything that seems to match your recording habits and/or shows that you have "voted" as good or bad. This feature didn't seem too enticing to me, so I have autorecord of suggestions disabled, but some people love the feature.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts