So DISH now leads in national hd channels.

MikeD-C05

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Nederland , Texas
Looked at the comparison between DIRECTV and DISH and while DIRECTV still whips DISH on sports 14-12 and rns in hd 36-25, DISH leads in national hd channels 39 - 36. So all we need to completely wipe out DIRECTV on national hd channels is Fx hd and Smithsonian, which I doubt we will see again. Charlie announced last spring that we would also see AMC hd & IFc hd ,but since the VOOM went boom lawsuit , I doubt we will get those either now. Anyone want to bet we will see FX ,Speed and Msnbc this summer in hd?

EKB: DirecTV vs Dish Network HD Comparison

Once E* adds FX, Speed, and Fuel, they will definitely outgun D* in the HD department. Would leave D* as only having Smithsonian and MLBTV (outside of RSN's and Showtime West HD, which E* subs have the option of DVR'ing 3 hours earlier). It basically would position E* as the HD leader with D* returning to the leader in sports only. Because of this, I have to think Charlie will work to have FX, Speed, and Fuel this summer as well as MSNBC, so I'd say by September we will have these 4.

Exactly. Fios and U-verse could have 1000 HD channels FOR FREE... it would be of no benefit to me.

Our cable company just announced they were adding that new-fangled cable internet as an option! If you mentioned FIOS, they would think you were from Mars. Guess I'll pray that E* adds Cars.TV!

Our cable company just announced they were adding that new-fangled cable internet as an option! If you mentioned FIOS, they would think you were from Mars. Guess I'll pray that E* adds Cars.TV!
FIOS is not available to my house and DSL is not available either. So I am stuck with comcrap for broadband access. According to their CSR and TSR, they are running both Internet and Television via Fiber Optic cabling. They also claim to have nearly limmitless bandwidth. My diagnostics read maximum throughput of 16 megs down, 4 up.

Where exactly in the US is Fios and U verse. Not in my part of Florida. Any national maps?
For FIOS availability, check Verizon's web site. It has been spreading pretty rapidly in Florida. At my last address I called Verizon and asked if it was available and the CSR said no and there was no ETA for my area. I signed a new satellite contract and two weeks later there was package hung my front door announcing the arrival of FIOS.

The communities on both sides of my new house can get FIOS. It is not available in my community. Verizon said they have to get FCC licensing for every address, one by one and just have not done that for my address. But, given past experience, that could change tomorrow.

For FIOS availability, check Verizon's web site. It has been spreading pretty rapidly in Florida. At my last address I called Verizon and asked if it was available and the CSR said no and there was no ETA for my area. I signed a new satellite contract and two weeks later there was package hung my front door announcing the arrival of FIOS.

The communities on both sides of my new house can get FIOS. It is not available in my community. Verizon said they have to get FCC licensing for every address, one by one and just have not done that for my address. But, given past experience, that could change tomorrow.

Fios is nice. The neighbors have it. The DVR works but isn't as good as the E* ones, at least the one I saw wasn't. For internet and all HD programming available, excluding premium channels, you end up paying about $110 with taxes after the free DVR promotion ends in 6 months. Add another DVR and the price goes up another $20 with taxes. It does include all the HD available. There are only 2 tiers, one very basic and then the everything except premiums.

ESPNU-HD, in the fall?

Smart money says Dish gets ESPN-U HD before D*. I know D* is the sports leader, but Charlie loves college ball. Let's not forget who got Big 10 first!

Disney must want a grip for it. That's the only reason I can see neither one carrying it. Dish has plenty of HD-lite capacity right now.

I have FiOS to my house, but their DVR only holds 17-18 hours of HD, perhaps less with the local channels. There is no HD sharing either. Very little MLB EI in HD too. The DISH DVR (622) outshines all others.

FiOS Pros:
Sheer number of channels
Number of movie channels
HD and SD channel bandwidth (Quality)

Cons:
DVR hard drive size
DVR not as reliable as E*/D*
Cost of multiple HD/SD boxes, needed at every TV
Sports packages in HD

I may try FiOS TV this fall after baseball and perhaps reduce my DISH to a minimal sub. FiOS 20/5 Internet and phone rocks, and is less than my DISH sub.

Fios is nice. The neighbors have it. The DVR works but isn't as good as the E* ones, at least the one I saw wasn't. For internet and all HD programming available, excluding premium channels, you end up paying about $110 with taxes after the free DVR promotion ends in 6 months. Add another DVR and the price goes up another $20 with taxes. It does include all the HD available. There are only 2 tiers, one very basic and then the everything except premiums.
The box definitely sucks; it is an older motorola that even Comcast and Time Warner have mostly phased out. The hard drives are relatively microscopic compared to E* or D*. But I actually think the software is great; the interface looks great and is uniquely different.

I think Fios is doomed to failure. It's just way too expensive to outfit a home. The NY Times reported the cost is somewhere close to $1000 per household just to get a fiber connection.

Who is getting what ?? Pls. update for more clarity

What type of event timer do you prefer?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts