So is 720p actually better than 1080i?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
That's definitely "wrong", because the DirecTv box does not convert 1080i to 1080p, so you are forcing 1080i signals to get converted to 720p....

Where did I say that 1080i gets upconverted? 1080p is only used for a handful of items on directv..but if I rent a pay per view I want 1080p. As far as taking 1080i and making it 720p what's the problem there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 2, 42" Pioneer Elite TV's one in a bedroom, one in another family room, my 60" PE is in the HT room.

I was just messing around with the 42 comment...I have a 42 downstairs but in my bedroom a 50 and in my main room a 47 and then a 100 pull down screen for the projector.

Where did I say that 1080i gets upconverted? 1080p is only used for a handful of items on directv..but if I rent a pay per view I want 1080p. As far as taking 1080i and making it 720p what's the problem there?

Unless you have a 720p TV, then downconverting 1080i to 720p is just throwing away resolution for no advantage. Your TV is going to deinterlace the signal from 1080i to 1080p anyway because it does not matter what resolution you send the TV, it gets displayed at 1080p.. You will get none of the potential advantages of the progressive signal because they only apply if the signal has been progressive all the way through the delivery chain.

Unless you have a 720p TV, then downconverting 1080i to 720p is just throwing away resolution for no advantage. Your TV is going to deinterlace the signal from 1080i to 1080p anyway because it does not matter what resolution you send the TV, it gets displayed at 1080p.. You will get none of the potential advantages of the progressive signal because they only apply if the signal has been progressive all the way through the delivery chain.
Okay that's where we are off...and I am sorry I didn't say this from the start but my projector will resync after every resolution change and to be honest it's kinda annoying for things to resync...so i leave it at 720p that way there is no resyncing and most of our hd will be in its native format (that we watch anyways)

Still think 1080i with native off and set to pillarbox would be a much better chloice.

I agree with you, 1080i and 1080p. Although because it's 1080p/24, and the 1080i signal has all the same data, watching a 1080p PPV in 1080i on most TVs you can't tell the difference. If it was 1080p/60 from the source, that would be different

Still think 1080i with native off and set to pillarbox would be a much better chloice.
That's what I decided to change mine back to. I only change it to "original format" when the picture is squeezed in like Newsmax. Occasionally I will set it to crop on a 16:9 show that's "postcarded" on a 4:3 SD channel.

Another reason why I decided to change it back to just 1080i and 1080p with native off: Even though the height of the 1080 in 1080i is interlaced and not all of the picture is shown all the time, the width still has more pixels than the 720p. I seem to like 1080i better anyways.

Man, can of worms.

If you want to set the DVR at one rez only, you need to know what resolutions your display best accepts for scaling/deinterlacing. In my case, I know my display is good at both, so I have the HR44 set to Native.

Most 1080p displays nowadays will do fine with 720p/1080i in and you wont see anything. As far as which is better in the same perfect situation, that isnt worth worrying about. Once again, how you set your box output should rely heavily on the performance of your display.

Some displays overscan ALL the time on 720p, and do not allow for 1:1 pixel mapping. That is effectively zooming. In that case, id send 1080i out all the time and let the display handle it to 1080p.

As far as broadcast 720p (ABC) vs 1080i (CBS), sometimes ABC looks good, sometimes it looks like crap. Same with CBS. How it is filmed or shot is out of your control so I would not even worry about that aspect of it.

Solid advice re: pixel mapping.

I'm curious because I want to set my DirecTV to only the best resolution. I hear that with 1080i you get half the vertical lines per field at 540 while since 720p is progressive scan that you get all 720 vertical lines. I also read that a field of 1080i has more pixels than 720p. A couple people told me 1080i is still better but I've also read and viewed sources that 720p is better. I'm confused. What's your input?

You likely can't tell the difference so don't worry about it. You can easily test it out on your setup to see if you can but I seriously doubt you will notice anything at all.

You can't compare different broadcasts as there are too many variables.

Hop over in the 4k thread and look at people talking about Netflix 4k with 12mbs connections. Resolution isn't as important as it used to be. So long as you're getting hd of some kind I doubt you can see the difference.

The quality of the presentation and bandwidth of the channel matter a helluva lot more nowadays than 1080i vs 720p.

Just look at NCIS (always has been a little fuzzy, a little red and a little dim) vs Person of Interest and NCIS LA.

NCIS is apparently always shot that way because the director wanted it....

Keep in mind that certain TV channels only broadcast in 720. 1080i required more bandwidth. It is up to CBS on how they want to record CSI. Most cases the source is only 720

Your tv has the last say in this no matter which you choose.
Less conversion the better.

NCIS is apparently always shot that way because the director wanted it....

I know, that is why I said "quality of the presentation". I get that is how they want it to look, but compared to many other OTA programs, it is lacking. Same thing goes for blu-rays, some new flicks look great, others look like crap because of director's intent (intentional softening, fake grain, etc...). And just because they chose for it to look like that doesn't change the fact it looks worse.

Once again, these artistic "decisions" and/or cramming subchannels (bandwidth) in have WAY more influence over PQ than 720p/1080i.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)