So I've sold my pool table & have 7000$ budget

zbroke

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2010
Fort Worth, Tx
I also have the go ahead from the wife so I'm excited... But the pool table doesn't leave the house until the end of the month which puts a damper on the purchase rush... a good thing. Gives me some time to shop and figure things out.

I know a little about home theatres after reading quite a bit. But I would like to throw it out there to you guys because there is nothing like hands on experience. Reading goes so much.

Here's some info:
- Total budget 7k, including install (ish...she won't kill me if I go over a bit). I need everything from Projector/screen,HT receiver, speakers, subw
- Room is 14x18 with lots of windows. I'm planning to cover the windows so ambiant light will not be a problem.
- Going projector... Would like a screen size over 100" (110? 120?)
- 7.2 Sound is what I have in mind.
- Will have 2 sats coming in (Dish + Shaw Direct[Component] + BluRay
- I watch tons of hockey and lots of footbal, movies and series. All in HD. If it's not in HD, it's not worth my time!

What I would like are suggestions what to buy (and possibly where) for building the best possible system for the budget. Please don't think I'm lazy and want spoon fed answers. As written earlier, I'm a believe in hands experience and I'm a bit skeptic of the salesman/saleskid.

Thanks in advance.

Zbroke, in Forth Worth, TX

Last edited:
Hi,

Seating is not included in the budget... This is for AV only. I have a confortable sofa that I will use until I'm ready to invest in better seating arrangements.

Need a bit of info regarding the throw/screen size.

I have a vaulted ceiling in the game room and I'm not too excited with the tought of a ceiling mount mast that would drop from the ceiling and be 3 to 4 feet long! So I was thinking about wall mounting in at the other end of the room. The room is 18' and if I use the HC3800 as an example, does this mean that I can't have a screen size of 110" according to the model's throw capabilities? If I want to have an image size of 110 the projector must be at 13'3"? According to web site below, if the projector is located at 18' the image would be 148"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I take my info from this web site. Not sure if I can post an URL here so I'm massaging it a little bit. Get rid of the spaces

WWW . projectorcentral . com/ Mitsubishi-HC3800-projection-calculator-pro.htm

Thanks!

Last edited:
Well the first thing. Do not assume that you need to spend 7k to get the best. You can easily build a wonderful/powerful system without eating that $$$

Do NOT buy any "boxed" components. I would reccomend you buy each component individually. I would also reccomend you visit avsforum. I just ask that you research/design something before posting. We have too much "I have 7k, what should I buy posts" The first thing I will say is "well what do you want"

I would consider the sound system first. High quality speakers and sub will do more for the experience than one would think, they will also last longer than the projection system.

As a general rule LCD and LCOS projectors have the most zoom flexibility with DLP being very limited.

One might also consider what is on the other side of the wall from where the projector sits. You might be able to put the projector in the wall to hide it.

I would consider the sound system first. High quality speakers and sub will do more for the experience than one would think, they will also last longer than the projection system.

As a general rule LCD and LCOS projectors have the most zoom flexibility with DLP being very limited.

One might also consider what is on the other side of the wall from where the projector sits. You might be able to put the projector in the wall to hide it.

+1 on this, but again do not believe the crap Audio Advisor and such magazines put out. I still do not know why I sub. They have this "in bed with" large companies and wont even review a sub $1k system. IE they will not review a Yamaha or Onkyo even tho they surpass most of the Big buck Denon and such.

AVSforum will help you get the bang/buck without having to buy the gold plated stuff :)

*I am not saying you can not get the right answers here. I am only reccomending it cause its a forum dedicated to AVS. Just like I tell people who post about Satelite's to come here :)

I really like B&W speakers. They tend to be pricey though, but you can find bargains. I have 3 sets of them. But, you can get substantial discounts if you find the right dealer, also you can find "demos", etc.

I would go with a really good subwoofer, but then I am a guy that likes explosions to shake the house.

revisit the 60 Hz vs. 120 Hz debate, or not

Fios to Broadcast Yankees-Mariner game in 3d

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts