So who watched Breaking Bad premeire on the roku?

Teehar

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 29, 2010
WNC
How was the quality?Were you able to get 5.1 sound?

Im thinking of calling them or chatting Dish and asking why i didnt get a Roku instead of just getting 5 dollars of my bill for 3 months. Do you think they might give me one?

I did. I got the SD version because someone else had said it was pretty good and I agree. I didn't do that to save the dollar as much as I wasn't sure if the HD download would cause buffering. I might try that with another show just to compare but it was way better than the regular SD we usually get on SD channels. I didn't notice if the sound said digital on my receiver but it did sound good to my ears.

I did. I got the SD version because someone else had said it was pretty good and I agree. I didn't do that to save the dollar as much as I wasn't sure if the HD download would cause buffering. I might try that with another show just to compare but it was way better than the regular SD we usually get on SD channels. I didn't notice if the sound said digital on my receiver but it did sound good to my ears.
I saved my money and watched the free stream from AMC. I just connected my laptop to my tv via hdmi and I was good to go. The sound was good, but I was slightly disappointed that the stream wasn't hd. Oh well, it was a great first episode though.

Went with the $1.99 episode because 1.I'm cheap :D and 2.No setup for 5.1.Gotta say it looked really good.

I didn't watch it until Monday evening but I think generally they are available sometime the following afternoon.

Shouldn't this thread be moved to the Streaming Video/IPTV (Roku) or even the Cable Network forums (AMC/Breaking Bad)?
Not really. The whole Roku/AMC situation is exclusive to Dish. Dish gave Rokus for the express purpose of accessing AMC programming. Now we're trying to get an idea of how many are actually using it for such. And so far, it doesn't appear to be very many, at least as far as BB is concerned.

I did order the HD season pass for Breaking Bad from Amazon on my free Dish roku. The picture and audio quality were acceptable but all video seems darker on my roku than my other devices with the same settings.

We have a third generation Apple TV in another room and we have used it to order on demand movies and shows in the past through iTunes. While the amazon quality was acceptable I find the iTunes quality to be sharper. iTunes offers HD in 1080p while Amazon only gets 720p and in my opinion it is a noticeable difference.

Overall Netflix quality seems to be equal in 1080p on both devices besides the roku darkness issue I mentioned. Both devices work great with MLB.tv. I love the airplay and icloud features on the Apple TV. Apart from that and the slightly increased on demand quality I prefer the roku because of all the channels apple doesn't offer.

I watched it Monday evening. I am new to using a Roku and new to Amazon streaming and I only have a standard tv. I was a little skeptical at first and concerned about connectivity issues. No connection issues at all, picture quality was great and no commercials! I watched the free stream AMC provided on Sunday and I had to sit through commercials. The only reason I bought it from Amazon was so my parents could watch, they will not watch anything on the computer. Breaking Bad is my favorite show so I am happy I can watch it with the Roku. DISH will be allowed to live in my house for now anyway.

I did order the HD season pass for Breaking Bad from Amazon on my free Dish roku. The picture and audio quality were acceptable but all video seems darker on my roku than my other devices with the same settings.

We have a third generation Apple TV in another room and we have used it to order on demand movies and shows in the past through iTunes. While the amazon quality was acceptable I find the iTunes quality to be sharper. iTunes offers HD in 1080p while Amazon only gets 720p and in my opinion it is a noticeable difference.

Overall Netflix quality seems to be equal in 1080p on both devices besides the roku darkness issue I mentioned. Both devices work great with MLB.tv. I love the airplay and icloud features on the Apple TV. Apart from that and the slightly increased on demand quality I prefer the roku because of all the channels apple doesn't offer.

I have noticed a little darker video on the roku.It's not bad but,it is noticeable.

Last edited:
So, Dish has given, and given and given...and only 4 people here thus far have reported to have taken advantage of the intended purpose? Not the least bit surprising. Well, then again, maybe BB is not the "hit" AMC claims. Either way, seems to me lot's of people have received new toys that will probably never be used as Dish intended. Now, when Walking Dead comes back (which is why I asked for it) things might change...but I doubt it.

If AMC is still not available when Mad Men is back on I for sure will be using it for that AMC show I tried breaking Bad just could not get into it. But I know many that love the show

So, Dish has given, and given and given...and only 4 people here thus far have reported to have taken advantage of the intended purpose? Not the least bit surprising. Well, then again, maybe BB is not the "hit" AMC claims. Either way, seems to me lot's of people have received new toys that will probably never be used as Dish intended. Now, when Walking Dead comes back (which is why I asked for it) things might change...but I doubt it.

Very valid points Kab.I was hoping to see more results than this.Maybe there are some that have yet to watch.

I have to admit it was nice not having to press the skip button every 10 mins.:D

I think the answer is more likely that people post when they are upset about something (the 5 gazillion post AMC thread) rather than once satisfied (because I would kind of think more than 4 people watched it via the free Roku).

DISH Offers Expansive Movie Selection for Free Preview During July Movie Bonanza

How do I get the best new customer deal from DISH?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts