Sonic Voom Headphones

Status
Please reply by conversation.

14karat

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 14, 2005
Hernando, Mississippi
I got mine off eBay 2 weeks ago. $15 total...
One question tho... the headphone plugs on the front have the extra connections (other than the 1/8" plug) which I assume are the remaining "3.1" channels.
Has anyone ran across an adapter for those plugs to convert to 6 RCA plugs? This would allow for discrete amps on each channel...

I got mine off eBay 2 weeks ago. $15 total...
One question tho... the headphone plugs on the front have the extra connections (other than the 1/8" plug) which I assume are the remaining "3.1" channels.
Has anyone ran across an adapter for those plugs to convert to 6 RCA plugs? This would allow for discrete amps on each channel...

I have never seen, or heard, of an adapter that would do that...maybe someone else has?

I have never seen, or heard, of an adapter that would do that...maybe someone else has?

I haven't heard of one either. I have 2 of the Sonic VOom things, and one of them had defective headphones (the module still worked fine, and that was all I wanted anyway). I found that the wire going to the headphones was cut , so I decided to open up the wire and see what was coming out of the various channels. I was expecting to see several "pairs" of wires going to the various speakers inside the headset.
What I FOUND, however were about the finest wires I've ever seen, smaller gauge than the finest magnet wire I've ever seen, with no removable insulation, but apparently painted like magnet wire. I didn't see any possible way to strip and isolate these wires, plus it seemed like there were more wires than connections, and they were so fine and flimsy I wasn't even sure that they were wires... really confusing.
So I decided to open up that little plastic module part way down the cable to the headphones. I was able to cut off the outer plastic, which revealed a clear plastic blob inside that had a small circuit board inside. I was able to cut around the edge of this, and peal off the plastic. There were a series of input and output connections that it looked like you could potentially tap to get the various channels, but you'd have to do a lot of experimentation to figure out which pins were what. I didn't bother trying. I was really just curious, not trying to do anything. The module was working fine for me with just the L/R channels anyway. I have very rarely run into any satellite channel that didn't have what I wanted in the left/right channels.
Anyway, just wanted to post my observations, in case anyone was thinking of using the cable that goes to the headphones.

I haven't torn into the thing, but you describe the conductors exactly as I would expect... with that many conductors in such a small bundle they would have to be varnished copper thread.
I've attempted to repair a set of earbuds that used the same stuff and finally chunked them and bought a new set.
It wouldn't be difficult to manufacture that type of plug as it's just flat with a few contact points... Just thought there may be an adapter that will already fit... I'll keep digging.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Galaxy 25

Need Help with g28

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)