Sony Announces PS3 Firmware 2.4.1

Silvia2112

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
Sony has announced that a new update for the firmware of its PlayStation 3 gaming console has been released. The new firmware 2.40 features an in-game XMB, also known as the XrossMediaBar, and a trophy system for PS3 titles.

The trophy system is somewhat similar to the one used by Microsoft’s Xbox 360, but the main difference is that PS3’s version uses Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum designations, instead of plain numbers like Xbox 360. The main idea is that the more goals you reach in a game, the better the trophy you get.

The least valuable trophy is the Bronze one, and the most valuable is the Platinum. The last one can only be achieved if the player has managed to complete all the tasks of a game.

The first game that will enjoy the new feature will be Super Stardust HD, which will be released in June as a PS3 exclusive title. Sony has announced that other games like Buzz! Quiz TV, LittleBigPlanet, MotortorStorm Pacific Rift, NBA 09, PixelJunk Eden, Pain, Socom: US Navy SEALs Confrontation, Warhawk and Resistance 2, will benefit of the trophy system soon. Players will most probably have to download a patch in order to make the system available for the titles that have already been released.

As to what the in-game XMB is concerned, it will offer gamers the chance to send messages via the internet to their friends while still playing the game, as well as the much awaited custom music feature.

This will allow users of the PS3 console to play music from their hard drives during game play. They will also be given the possibility to repeat a certain track, play the music in shuffle mode, or skip to other tracks.

This last feature will be available only for the games whose developers want to implement it. Sony said that they expect to release a list of games that will benefit of the feature soon.

This will allow users of the PS3 console to play music from their hard drives during game play. They will also be given the possibility to repeat a certain track, play the music in shuffle mode, or skip to other tracks.

This is the one feature I've heard my kids discuss that they liked on the 360 that wasn't available on the PS3

anyone else having trouble downloading 2.40? Its on the Sony website but
when i try to download it......... it sez i already have the latest version :eek:

I am not sure what the deal is, I downloaded it and have not had any issues thusfar. However, I did notice that at one point, my PS3 suddenly dropped sync with my wireless router in a middle of a BF:BC match and I had to reset the system to restore the connection I am not sure if this was a one time event, but it has never happened before. It is a little thing, but my favorite part is the clock on the XMB screen.

Yeah yesterday I went on to DL the new version. Of course it says I'm up to date, and I think "Did it DL without telling me?" Then I check system settings and it says I have 2.36.... huh?

Then I read the stories about the problems, and all I could think was "*PHEW*"
I didn't intentionally wait. I just didn't get around to it. I was busy playing MGS4/GH: Aerosmith and then hanging out with my friend that day. Now when the new firmware comes out, I'm waiting a good 5 days before I tell my system to DL it. I don't want to have to deal with a broken PS3.

Congrats on the update...... You get trophies now I hear (to mimic MS's achievements), and custom soundtracks..... MUCH more fun playing games with your own musical tastes represented instead of EA Trax or something worse....

Plus, this will hopefully spur MS ot get us the spring update before it becomes fall around here....

Bob, I have heard there will be no Spring update for MS.

What about this 3D one I keep hearing about? We're all supposed to be in front of our cameras moving screens like we were Tom Cruise in Minority Report if you believe the hype....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts