Sony BDP-S580 Resolution Question

Ace68

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
Snow Belt, OH
Just got the new Sony BDP-S580 Player, and have it hooked up via component cables to my 1080i TV (I don't have HDMI connections). It only plays in 480i? I'm pretty sure I have all of the settings correct on the BD player. Shouldn't I at least be able to watch Blu-Rays in 1080i? Or did I miss something?

I hope this is posted in the right place & not a redundant thread. :confused:

Thanks for your help!

I can answer this way. Component connections will allow all the way up to 1080P. Realistically using HDMI only allows for an easier connection as it is one cable and carries both video and audio. So I would be sure the output setting on the S580 is set to 1080I. (Since your TV can not do 1080P) Is there a setting on the TV perhaps also?

BD cannot do 1080p over component, never has. You have also entered the Analog Sunset era. All players built and sold after Jan. 1st are limited over component. Could be the problem. The Sony might only allow 480. Check your settings in the player anyways.

Any new Blu-ray player announced after January 1st 2011 will only output HD via HDMI -- players that started shipping last year can still be sold until the end of this year though.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/10/analog-sunset-begins-all-the-new-blu-ray-players-will-only-outp/

S~

Last edited:
Hmm... interesting. Since this is a 2011 player, this very well can be the analog sunset issue.
But that should be stated in the manual. I can't seem to find the manual at Sony' s website. Can someone check the manual and confirm that the component output on this player is SD only?

I can't find anything on it except for preorder. Not sure how BB could have gotten it. Release date isn't/wasn't scheduled until March.
S~

teachsac said:
BD cannot do 1080p over component, never has. You have also entered the Analog Sunset era. All players built and sold after Jan. 1st are limited over component. Could be the problem. The Sony might only allow 480. Check your settings in the player anyways.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/10/analog-sunset-begins-all-the-new-blu-ray-players-will-only-outp/

S~

Analog Sunset? Wong impact me, but aggravates me to no end as a consumer. Why not simply remove the component connector altogether rather than crippling it so? Probably because they want to sucker in buyers who have need of the component connection to hook ip such a player. It'll be interesting to see what sorts of warnings/disclaimers they put on these new players. This is shady at best and could be fraudulent misrepresentation if not correctly advertised. As if technology purchasing cycles weren't short enough as it is, this forced obsolescence is going to really rub some people the wrong way.

I have the BDP-S570 so I'm not sure if the settings are the same. All I see is the option under "Screen Settings" to change "Output Video Format" to component video and then to "Select the resolution that suits your TV". Have you set your resolution there?

Analog Sunset? Wong impact me, but aggravates me to no end as a consumer. Why not simply remove the component connector altogether rather than crippling it so? Probably because they want to sucker in buyers who have need of the component connection to hook ip such a player. It'll be interesting to see what sorts of warnings/disclaimers they put on these new players. This is shady at best and could be fraudulent misrepresentation if not correctly advertised. As if technology purchasing cycles weren't short enough as it is, this forced obsolescence is going to really rub some people the wrong way.

My understanding was that the component outputs go away entirely in Jan, 2014. Analog sunset was part of the licensing agreements to build the players. Here is a reference to the appropriate licensing agreements:
Analog Sunset Hits 2011 Blu-ray Players
http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2009/06/hollywood-drives-us-
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/analog/2010/12/analog-sunset?cmpid=enews123110

Basically, the future is better. The future is NOW. The future is HDMI and HDCP with DRM. Love it...or else.

Last edited:
I stand by my answer, however not for the application the OP was asking about.

Component always has and does carry 1080P. My Plasma TV accepts component 1080P, and my Xbox 360 does games in 1080P over component on it. So my answer stands, component does 1080P.

The problem is two things. Most newer TV's probably do not accept 1080P over component, although I don't know that for a fact. I'm guessing that because second, as mentioned, licensing prevents BD players and movies etc.. from being carried in 1080P over component.

Any of this can be looked up at AVS forum, Cnet, etc.....

I stand by my answer, however not for the application the OP was asking about.

Component always has and does carry 1080P. My Plasma TV accepts component 1080P, and my Xbox 360 does games in 1080P over component on it. So my answer stands, component does 1080P.

The problem is two things. Most newer TV's probably do not accept 1080P over component, although I don't know that for a fact. I'm guessing that because second, as mentioned, licensing prevents BD players and movies etc.. from being carried in 1080P over component.

Any of this can be looked up at AVS forum, Cnet, etc.....

Component can carry 1080p, sure. I never argueed that. However, it's not allowed, nor has it ever been on BD, or HDDVD for that matter. It has been allowed on Video Games. Since we are in the BD forum, it really doesn't apply. 1080i is all that is allowed, and that is going away starting this year.

S~

I assure you that I did purchase the BD from Best Buy BDP-S580 the manual is really small and quite basic. Haven't gotten another chance to fool around with it yet. Another weird thing is that it does not have a digital optical port, just digital coax. But for $145 with built in wifi, quite nice.... To the poster that said they are not supposed to be out til March, if you need a BB skew #, I have one but it's not on their website yet. I saw it in a store display (sold out) got the skew from the price tag, called another store w/ the skew and had them hold one til I got there.

You are an early bird. It may have come from a show. Regular price 199. As of 12-31-10 newly manufactured devices cannot output higher than 480p through component cable. To receive 1080p (which the 580 is capable of, you must use HDMI. which includes Digital audio as well as much better picture. The 580 is also WiFi:D

:rant:So since my TV does not have HDMI ports, I just bought the newest, latest, greatest "DVD player" with Wifi in the world??? Is there any type of work-around? Component to HDMI Converter? Sucks b/c my TV has no signs of letting up soon!

Thanks to the wonderful world of HDCP, there really is no realistic workaround. This little gem was invented by the content providers to prevent the pirates from making high quality digital copies. They spent a lot of effort solving that problem. Naturally, the needs of legitimate users were very low on their list and were mostly ignored. The pirates have since figured out good workarounds and are not slowed down one bit, so the only long term result is restricting use by legitimate users.

Any converter being legitimately sold will respect the HDCP handshake, so buying an HDMI to component converter will likely not help. You may be able to purchase a device that strips off HDCP and provides an open handshake. These devices tend to disappear from the market quickly though as the alliance is quick to hit them with infringement lawsuits. Yes, the HDMI consortium patented any scheme for circumventing HDCP as well.

I amswered with a few suggestions for buying last year's player, but as teachsac mentioned, we are all waiting for the content flag bomb to be dropped. When that happens, even last year's player is not going to provide 1080i over component.

Might try BDPS570 (2010) that will get you through until 2013/14 (not sure which) By then a new TV might be in your future.?:D

confirmed?

Going back to the beginning of this thread, is it confirmed that Sony BDP-Sx80 players are restricted on component output, unlike BDP-Sx70 players? I'm looking into replacing my BDP-S350, to get Netflix functionality. Pre-wire in my walls is component only. Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)