Sony drops PS listed price

This was their big announcement????????? Why, as a PS3 owner should I care? Give me Software PS2 Backward Compatability and I would be excited.

Major Fail:down

This was their big announcement????????? Why, as a PS3 owner should I care? Give me Software PS2 Backward Compatability and I would be excited.

Major Fail:down
Trust me.. it's not all it's cracked up to be (BC), especially when they don't even have emulation to act as a memory card!! I got a PS2 game over the weekend under the apparently STUPID presumption that the memory card emulation that occurs for the PS1 (uses PS3 HDD) would be the same for the PS2. Well, instead I got to eat sh*t because there was no way to save games, and I ended up having to return the game as a result. On the flip side though I ended up getting the Xbox (original) version for $2 cheaper which actually WORKS on my 360 with full saving abilities.

Trust me.. it's not all it's cracked up to be (BC), especially when they don't even have emulation to act as a memory card!! I got a PS2 game over the weekend under the apparently STUPID presumption that the memory card emulation that occurs for the PS1 (uses PS3 HDD) would be the same for the PS2. Well, instead I got to eat sh*t because there was no way to save games, and I ended up having to return the game as a result. On the flip side though I ended up getting the Xbox (original) version for $2 cheaper which actually WORKS on my 360 with full saving abilities.

I save data from PS2 games on my PS3 all of the time. Don't know why you would have had an issue with it.

No, they're doing it to compete with the Wii, and said today they expect to take Wii market share with the price drop, and boasted there are a bunch of titles still coming out this year for the PS2, and just as many next year. One analyst expects the PS2 to get a 30% gain in sales as a result. They sold 2.5 million last year.

I think we'll see it discontinued no sooner than 3 years from now. PS1 just died a year or two back.

They've sold 140 million of the things. I am not sure the consumer is the happiest person for this announcement, but instead every Gamestop store manager. 1900 titles out for the PS2, sure, but how many are on any given retail shelf? A dozen, maybe a little more? If anything it shares space with the PS3 games they can't sell...

Sadly, before the '$99 PS2?' rumors started, I already thought it was $99 for some reason.

Funny thing for me, earlier this week I was checking prices on a used PS2 on Ebay and Craigslist (about $75, BTW) to go back and play some old PS2 titles that I've gotten interested in since getting my very first console, the PS3, in Nov. 2007 as a BD player. Unfortunately, I got the one that wasn't BC compatible, thinking at the time, what the heck do I need that feature for? I don't even know if I'll be playing PS3 games, let alone old PS2s.

All you have to do is create a "PS2 memory card" the same way you created a "PS1 Memory Card", and set it to slot A.

All you have to do is create a "PS2 memory card" the same way you created a "PS1 Memory Card", and set it to slot A.
I didn't see that option. Is that on Hardware emulation or software emulation?
In any case, it worked out better that I got the Xbox version since it had less scratches on it, was $2 cheaper, and was lauded as being the technically superior version with more additions.

For those wondering what game I'm talking about, it's this.

I'm glad that they didn't drop the price of the PS3. Seeing that I just bought one two weeks ago. I would have been ticked

Last edited:
In my opinion, they should discontinue the PS2 and drop the price on their PS3 $100.

Although this would be a noble idea, Sony would make no profit if they did something this drastic. They are losing money on every console they make right now, so dropping the price by $300 would only put them in the hole more. True, you do have to drop prices sometimes to get demand higher, but not all of the time.

Although this would be a noble idea, Sony would make no profit if they did something this drastic. They are losing money on every console they make right now, so dropping the price by $300 would only put them in the hole more. True, you do have to drop prices sometimes to get demand higher, but not all of the time.
I think if they ran a nationwide sale where you could get a PS3 for $100 cheaper for like a week that that would be a nice boost in sales. Yes they would lose some money, but at this point drastic times call for drastic measures. With no big exclusives coming down the pipeline, BD Player prices being as low as they are, as well as just getting it's ass handed to it by MS and Nintendo, pushing out an extra 500k-1million units would be a handsome reward in terms of software sales and brand exposure.

I think if they ran a nationwide sale where you could get a PS3 for $100 cheaper for like a week that that would be a nice boost in sales. Yes they would lose some money, but at this point drastic times call for drastic measures. With no big exclusives coming down the pipeline, BD Player prices being as low as they are, as well as just getting it's ass handed to it by MS and Nintendo, pushing out an extra 500k-1million units would be a handsome reward in terms of software sales and brand exposure.

Would be a gamble, sales would tank (even worse) outside of this window, people will just wait for the permanent drop or the next promotion.

Even then, my friends who were on the fence aren't going to buy it at $300 anymore because it's lost value as a Blu-Ray player. Now they're willing to wait now for a $50-$100 BD player, and paying an extra $200+ to play PS3 games doesn't seem worth it to them anymore.

It seems they are content to let the PS3 continue to slide, and apparently wait for the point where developers consider stopping some of their support for it before dropping the price. Sadly we are nearly to that point, even first party guys expressing disappointment (like the Media Molecule guys who made LittleBigPlanet). It's crazy that the PS3 sold fewer units in Feb 09 than they did in Feb 08 with 400k+ copies of SF4, and the debut of Killzone 2 at the end of the month. Absent those releases, it probably would have been a fairly sad number.

Last edited:
I didn't see that option. Is that on Hardware emulation or software emulation?

Same place on any PS3 that supports PS2 games. Game, Memory Card Utility (PS/PS2), Create New Internal memory Card, Internal Memory Carrd(ps2),

Same place on any PS3 that supports PS2 games. Game, Memory Card Utility (PS/PS2), Create New Internal memory Card, Internal Memory Carrd(ps2),
*scratches head* hmmmm.. guess I didn't do enough investigating or something. When I went and played MGS1 on the PS3, the memory card thing was easier for me to figure out. Perhaps the amount of drinking I've done since then killed the part of my brain that had that nugget of information. The sad thing is that as of late, last generation games have proved more appealing than current generation ones.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts