Sony KP46WT510

dapack5

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 15, 2006
any tips or tricks to improve the picture wuality on this HD ready 46" rear projection set? any and all tips are welcome news to me

branchbouncer said:
Remove the protective screen

are you referring to the protective svreen that was on it when i bought it? as in pre-installed?

hi guys
It is not for the faint of heart to remove the glare screen on the sony, but it is doable.
I would buy Digital Video Essentials and watch it. Then take the time to set up your front panel controls. this will make a world of difference.
A back light would also help.
Regards
Gregg

Gregg Loewen said:
hi guys
It is not for the faint of heart to remove the glare screen on the sony, but it is doable.
I would buy Digital Video Essentials and watch it. Then take the time to set up your front panel controls. this will make a world of difference.
Regards
Gregg

after opening very slightly tonight i agree with you Gregg! i took a peak inside and it is nothing like my old sony 41" that was not hdtv ready. the screen looks like it is connected with wiring to the gunns on the inside,so,i stopped right there and put the screws back in it. my old sony,i could remove the screen with no problem at all. i decided it wasn't worth me possibly screwing up the tv just to attempt to remove the glare screen. where is reputable dealer to purchase Digital Video Essentials? i live in Lehigh Acres.Fl. if i could afford the price i have been quoted i would have it done professionally! i was quoted around 1,000.00 dollars and to me that's highway robbery.

It isn't that hard to do,but as Gregg said not for the faint of heart,if you start and there is caution in the air then quit.When I taught rock climbing you either "run it out when in doubt" or walk away

Here are the instruction I used exactly (I took notes every step of the way)
Remove the bottom panel first.There are 3 screws on each side behind the panel.Remove the panel and place on the floor directial in for on the tv.There are wires connecting the front panel controls and a/v connectors.I had about a foot of slack so it was no problem.This exposes 4 screws for the top panel.Now remove the top panel.There are screws along the top and sides and also the one you exposed when you removed the bottom panel.You need two people for the next procedure,Remove the front panel and hold in place in front of the TV.The person on the left must reach inside below and untie the twist wire connecting the autofocus sensors connected to the top inside panel.This will give you about 2 feet of slack.I had just enough slack to lay the front panel face down(lay a bed sheet on the floor)unscrew all 4 rail holding the paanels down. The rails have wires runnig along them,held down by plastic clips for the autofocus so just place the to the sides.Take out the 3 screen layers taped togetherand place on another bed sheet.Remove the black tape on the 4 sides of the panels and try your best to save the tape.Restack the protective screen to the back.Retape.Lay the new stack of screens in the frame.Put the rails back in place and screw them down(not too tight-don't strip),routing the wire around into the plastic clips.Put the screen frame back in place and replace enough screws to hold it in plac,I did on each side and one on the top.Now bring back the bottom panel and connect the a/v wires,but don't screw the panel in just yet.From here,you turn the set on and check out the picture and see how beatuiful it looks under different light conditions.I'm thankful I did this stepbecause I found that a wire was running down a corner of the picture,I had forgotten to put it in it's plastic clip.After it checks out finish replacing all the screws

Refocus and do convergence again

Here is the screen restack info,One thing I found though was I did not have two feet of slack and had to set the top panel on a table the height of the bottom panel in order to lay it down,also when removing the bottom panel after you get the screws out there are locking tabs still holding it in place,they act like the ones that hold car door panels in place,when you pop the loose it sounds like you broke something---Flashlight two people and take your time it isn't bad.I was also able to clean the inside on the set while i had it open ---Good Luck

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    319 KB · Views: 302
hi

I would not restack the screen on this unit, I would just remove the glare screen. Once you do that you will want to install some 1/4 " weather striping to the edges to keep the screen stack tight when you reassemble.

It is much easier to to disconnect the autofocus / magic focus wires from the rear of the set, then you will be able to seperate the screen from the cabinet. Just follow the wires to the main circuit board and disconnect them. make sure the set is unplugged before you do this.

regards

Gregg

Gregg Loewen said:
hi guys
Regards
Gregg

OK i bought digital video essentials and set the picture,brightness,color tint,color temp and sharpness and pic is somewhat better,but,is till have what looks like a convergence problem! i thought that DVE had test patterns inside to help set convergence too,but,it didn't from what i have found! is there anything that has patterns to use for setting convergence on this tv set? i can go into the service menu and set the convergence by the screen with all the dots and it looks great after i write and save,but,once TV is turned off,the convergence setting doesn't hold!