Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
We went to watch TV downstairs tonight on our Sony SXRD TV.

When we turned it on the black backround had a green tint to it, when the picture came on it looked like we were watching something in EGA mode, very pixelated and limited color.

At first I thought it was the Dish Network 622, but then I turn it over to DirecTV and same thing. We then went to OTA and the same thing.

Attached are photos of what its doing, would anyone have any idea of whats wrong? Is it the bulb or something worse? It is like this on ALL inputs.

I did purchase the extended warranty from Circuit City (and the set is less then a year old)

Attachments

• DSC_0122.JPG
    DSC_0122.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 369
  • DSC_0124.JPG
    DSC_0124.JPG
    150.3 KB · Views: 373
  • DSC_0125.JPG
    DSC_0125.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 334
  • DSC_0129.JPG
    DSC_0129.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 374
Are you using component (RGB) hookups for the receivers or HDMI? If it is HDMI you might as well call in that Protection Plan. If you are using the Red Blue Green component connectors the tv might have been nudged somehow recently that caused one to pull out.

Just reverify they are in their correct connection slots on both ends. Usually when you get an odd color or seem to be missing some color it tends to be this in my experience. Though it is odd for that to happen out of no where.

Have you done a hard boot? Unplug and replug to reset to defaults?

It is either 1. One of your connections are lose or 2. You have a bad light engine/optical block....

PS...I am having my Optical block replaced this week on my SXRD that is only 13 month old. :-(

Yes it is the light engine, not all had these problems, its a crap shoot! Should try the new Sony's even the big screens, 50,60 and seventy inch models have the new Bravia light engine! The green blob is gone forever! Either that or just let Sony fix it! Good luck!

I've got the same problem as you Scott! I have a Sony KDS-R50XBR1.

Did some research, and found out it is a VERY common problem with Sony SXRD TV's. Everything points to a defective "OB" (Optical Block).

Sony is FINALLY admitting to the problem, and on 3/24/07 updated their Support website with the statement:
"As part of the Sony commitment to quality, Sony is announcing that it is extending the limited warranty (parts and labor), in the United States, on the optical block of KDS-R50XBR1 and KDS-R60XBR1 model SXRD Televisions until October 31, 2008, regardless of purchase date. "

Click on link below for details:
Sony eSupport - KDS-R50XBR1 - News & Alerts

Note that they will even reimburse individuals who paid out-of-pocket (prior to 5/1/07) for repairs to the optical block!

Google "Sony green blob" and you'll find all sorts of "horror stories" regarding this problem - including a "class-action law suit" against Sony.

Good luck - let us know how your situation turns out.

I forgot to update this thread. (We had another thead going on about this in the pub members area)

They came and replpaced the optical block with no issue.

The repair guy said he liked Sony as if it was not for this problem on their TV's he wouldn't have any work to do. :)

It's abolutely stunning that Sony actually owned up to a common problem. They are the king of denial.

I have a Sony KDS-RXBR1 SXRD (original model) and it had an alignment problem. There was a red and green border around the lettering, similar to any conventional projector or TV when out of convergence. Simple fix for the other technologies, just a software alignment. There is no way to adjust this on the SONY, however, as the 3 SXRD panels are permanently mounted together. The warranty covered it, and Sony has also extended the warranty to cover replacement of the SXRD engine. It was replaced, but it took awhile as it was as if the entire TV innards were disassembled to get to it, and then all replaced. Glad the tech knew what he was doing, and he had a printed step by step set of instructions, with glossy pictures.
The replacement still is not perfect, but we can live with it.
Mike

Sony replaced the light engine in my out of warranty KDS-R50XBR1 at no charge when it had the yellow stain. I was very pleased. I purchased at a family owned A/V store rather than a big box. It was nice to have a familiar face to talk to about the set when it had a problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)