Sony Unveils Smaller, More Expensive PlayStation 3

Sony better rethink their strategy if they think people are going to buy this instead of the Slim at a higher price simply because it's smaller. Also, what the hell are they going to call it, the PS3 Slimmer?

The hard drive in this new "more expensive" slim is larger (250 GB) than in the current $250 model (160 GB), and the bundled Uncharted 3 GOTY and Dust 514 digital content is worth $70. I've also read somewhere that this new 250GB slim will sell without the bundled software for $250.

But yeah, no actual price drop (or a cheaper unit) that your average consumer would be drawn to is a head scratcher at this point in the PS3 life-cycle.

What I'm liking is the limited edition 500GB slim bundled with ACIII coming out at the end of October for $300. Two years ago I paid $300 for a 160GB slim and no bundled software or peripherals.

We still have the original launch PS3 and quite honestly it gets used more for Netflix than anything else. I haven't played a game on it in well over a year if not 2. We rarely watch Blu-ray anymore as well.

I'm in the market for another PS3 for the BT, not sure if I want to get one of the new ones or see if they discount the older slims when the new ones come out...

I don't see any improvements with the new one. I'd get a Slim if I were you if/when they discount them. :)

Neutron said:
I don't see any improvements with the new one. I'd get a Slim if I were you if/when they discount them. :)

And according to IGN it's noticeably louder than the slim and the sliding plastic door on top feels cheap. I'd take my current slim with slot loading any day over a louder new top loading console.

My existing 80GB fat model would have no use at all if not for the NFL Sunday Ticket app, so I feel no need to upgrade.

Sony said that they didn't decrease prices on older units because consumers want more content and software and not "all these weird price moves"

http://www.operationsports.com/foru...et.com/2012/09/20/scea-john-koller-interview/

jackie-chan-images_14807.jpg

Sony said that they didn't decrease prices on older units because consumers want more content and software and not "all these weird price moves"

http://www.operationsports.com/forums/redirect-to/?redirect=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.engadget.com%2F2012%2F09%2F20%2Fscea-john-koller-interview%2F

View attachment 81136
yeah consumers really hate price reductions on existing hardware when new hardware is released and new hardware has no tangible benefit over old. Enjoy your 6.4 billion dollar loss this year Sony..

I'll stick with both my original 60GB's (upgraded to 500GB) with PS2 hardware emulation :)

Until the slim (or slimmer) has PS2 emulation, I'll continue to pass.

I'll stick with both my original 60GB's (upgraded to 500GB) with PS2 hardware emulation :)

Until the slim (or slimmer) has PS2 emulation, I'll continue to pass.
Well you can expect to keep passing as Sony has realized it's more profitable to just upscale their existing games and re-release them.

The fact that our current PS3 doesn't get used much means I know I won't be getting a PS4 when/if it comes out. Console games aren't what they used to be.

dfergie said:
I use mine for Amazon prime and Movies and some as a media player, but I use an external so the HDD size really doesn't matter.

I use my slim all the time for gaming and blurays. I'm just not looking to upgrade to a louder model with cheaper parts for the same price.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)