SpaceX

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Thanks for posting I had forgot about this.

Yep it sure does look like it today. :)

Hope they have the booster landing/recovery also

Thought they might have it live on their website but I can't find it. Not likely to have it on the NASA channel either since that's not part of the actual cargo delivery.

Was really hoping to see that since it's suppose to be a first. Probably see it on the news if it's successful.

Reactions: FaT Air
Anybody notice that in one shot from the launch pad there was a 6' Ku fiberglass dish on the right side of the shot? It was inverted(upside-down). I wonder what is was pointed at?

Anybody notice that in one shot from the launch pad there was a 6' Ku fiberglass dish on the right side of the shot? It was inverted(upside-down). I wonder what is was pointed at?

I saw the dish you are talking about but I don’t think it was inverted. I thing the South Florida location equated to the elevation being tipped way back. That's what I think I saw anyway.

Great launch in glorious HD on AMC-18 @ 105W on C-Band BTW. Beautiful picture.

I saw the dish you are talking about but I don’t think it was inverted. I thing the South Florida location equated to the elevation being tipped way back. That's what I think I saw anyway.

Great launch in glorious HD on AMC-18 @ 105W on C-Band BTW. Beautiful picture.
I noticed it right away in that one camera angle. But you couldn't see all three support arms clearly. Later during the launch they showed it from above and you could clearly see it was inverted. I thought that was cool and wondered if anyone else picked up on it.

"6' Ku fiberglass dish on the right side of the shot"
I'm thinking that might be what follows the booster for a few minutes for downlinking the video from the on-board cameras? Maybe running 5.8GHz downlink using end-user type wifi cameras that are cheap so not such a big loss......

maxwellsmart_missed_it_by_that_much.jpg

Rats! I've been hoping that SpaceX could pull this off, but maybe the new engine recovery system proposed by the new Vulcan launch vehicle will be the cost-effective way to pull this off.

Note, there was plenty of fuel left. Enough to go bang, so that was not the problem. Over compensated. And fast.

Yeah, it looked like they came in too fast. I applaud SpaceX for their continuing efforts to make this work. I'm confident that they will figure it out.

Final descent has got to minimize horizontal velocity a bit more. With the vehicle more vertical. But I'm sure they're learnin'. They'll 'get it' . Maybe a few more test landings out in the desert? On second thought, No, they don't get paid for any of those. Just run it through the simulator a few hundred more times.
Will be watching come the next launch & booster landing attempt.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts