Speaker Recommendations

Keith Watson

Original poster
Jul 14, 2013
Detroit
I love my Marantz 5.1 receiver and want to upgrade the rear speakers. My challanges are: the 2 rear channels only share 100W so they barly make a sound in Prologic mode and my main speakers are 6 ohm. I was thinking I would like compact speakers that I could mount closer to the viewing area.

Are there any new designs that might be a good solution for me?

Tell us a bit about your main and center speakers, Keith. Also a bit about the room they are going into and your seating arrangement. Finally some hints on budget.

There are a lot of choices out there and surrounds can be configured as direct radiators, dipoles or bi-polrs, depending on the room and seating. As for the amount of sound coming through, I wouldn't worry so much. Most movies don't use the rears a lot, and often they are simply used to fill out the space and give a sense of depth. I always turn mine up a bit from what is recommended, but even the, the rears tend to become invisible until they are turned off.

BTW, welcome to the forum..

Hi Jayn!

Sorry I think I'm a little embarrassed of my setup and my subconscious withheld all useful information! I had a Cerwin Vega setup for 20 years and the cones on the left and right wore out, instead of replacing them I just kept the center. I use some vintage Rank Wharfedale that match the impedance on the front and the sound is much better. I do have the rear volume cranked and right now I'm using some Celestions from the 70s, they are bright orange! They sound good but I thinking of going a little less man cave. (I have had a little female criticism) I'm hoping to find some small wall mounted speakers that might echo a little more sound. I guess I should stay at 6 ohms so I can squeeze as much volume out the rear as possible.

I use my TV as a monitor so unless I have guests I sit about 8 or 10 feet from the center to watch movies. As far as price goes I like to buy sale items, last years models when I can. It seems you can save a lot of money by not insisting on the latest features, so I guess a few hundred? Or maybe it would be easier to just nail the Celestions to the wall and find a new girl friend.

Thanks for the welcome:)

Or paint them :D

I will agree that surrounds are a bit less critical in terms of matching than the LCR set. Given what you say, you might want to look at speakers with a high efficiency, and possibly something a bit bright to emphasize the rears.

I am a bit of a fan of Klipsch as they are very efficient, usually 6 ohm, and the critics say they are too bright. I think I would recommend direct radiators, something like this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0040L3DAO/?tag=satell01-20

Thanks I have enjoyed a lot of Klipsch products and these seem well priced. You may have saved a relationship! I going to see what she thinks of me getting a Marshall so my Celestions don't go to waste...

My challanges are: the 2 rear channels only share 100W so they barly make a sound in Prologic mode and my main speakers are 6 ohm.
This is more an indictment of the efficiency of the speakers that you're using than the power of your AVR. I've seen numbers anywhere from 89 to 103db for the efficiency ratings. This article explains the impact of efficiency:

http://stereos.about.com/od/stereoscience/a/amppower.htm

Rear speakers don't need to be full-range units with 14 pound magnets. 70Hz on up should be just fine; frequencies below that aren't particularly directional. I recommend bookshelf speakers.

If your Marantz lacks the ability to adjust the output level of the rear channels you're going to have to keep trying bookshelf speakers until you find an acoustic match for the rest of your speakers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts