Special Charlie Chat Tonight

Talk about a tough year for Dish. Tivo Lawsuit, lost satellite, bad channel negotiations, missed HD roll out target, recently announced price increase....

Here's hoping to a better 2009.

Charlie charges us $5.00 to get locals....
Why shouldn't the stations charge him?????
I've no doubt that the satellite and cablecos make a "profit" on the charges they get for locals, but I also consider that them providing this as a service to their customers, for which they should be compensated. For some people, who can't reliably get their locals via OTA, is $4.99/month worth it over the cost of buying and installing an antenna ? And what if their stations are in different directions and a rotor is req'd ?

The other thing is, satellite and cable no doubt "bring" the local stations substantially more viewers than they get via OTA. How many use OTA today ? I've seen the number as low as 12% and typically no more than 20%. Would the local stations want to give up 80-88% of their viewers ? Would they be willing to give the satellite and cablecos a cut of their advertising revenue ?

If Charlie is savings us so much money, who is getting it. Dish charges the same thing for channels as everyone else, maybe even more. Sounds like he is lining his own pockets with that money. You do not see D* or cable pulling channels off the air to save us money. Does Dish think we are that stupid.

While watching "Two and a Half Men", there was an ad running from CBS programming being yanked by Charter Jan.1, 2009. It gave two phone numbers to call if you have Charter.

See. It does not happen to just Charlie.;)

Charter is dropping ABC in the Norfolk area Dec 31 - Chan 13 wants a penny a day per subscriber.

Right. KMOV and WFAA both have spats with Charter right now (per tvnewsday.com - and you can add KING to that list as of tonight. This is obviously a Belo v Charter dispute.).

Meanwhile,The Chat just ended for the Fisher channels. The main news for those affected: $1 off your bill and a Freeview of Hallmark Movie Channel on channel 63 for the duration.

Other than that, no Earth-Shattering Breaking News. Just the usual statements you'd expect from the E* side.

Last edited:
I don't get how any of this works . . . where do networks get off trying to overcharge something which is free OTA??? If I worked at Dish, I look at who those networks are in bed with; something smells fishy and its not the WFN Network!

Some stations only have the digital SD feed OTA no free HD feed, if you want HD feed you have to sub the cables and telco companies which pay.

While watching "Two and a Half Men", there was an ad running from CBS programming being yanked by Charter Jan.1, 2009. It gave two phone numbers to call if you have Charter.

See. It does not happen to just Charlie.;)

No this does not happen to only Charlie..

Time warner in columbus here pulled CW "WWHO 53" for a month or two and replaced it with a 'free preview' of Starzz Family due to contract disputes between the owners of the station and TW cable.

Right. KMOV and WFAA both have spats with Charter right now (per tvnewsday.com).

Meanwhile,The Chat just ended for the Fisher channels. The main news for those affected: $1 off your bill and a Freeview of Hallmark Movie Channel on channel 63 for the duration.

Other than that, no Earth-Shattering Breaking News. Just the usual statements you'd expect from the E* side.

$1 of my bill and a freeview of a channel I already get. Well, it could be worse, I guess... Thanks for the info...

want to know the part that makes me mad...we pay $5 a month for our locals...dont you think that should cover any cost associated with that? Maybe I am wrong?

want to know the part that makes me mad...we pay $5 a month for our locals...dont you think that should cover any cost associated with that? Maybe I am wrong?

It looks like Dish wants to pay 25 cents for the big 4, so $1 for the programming, $4 to cover Dish's costs of getting it to you (local reception, fiber, uplink, spot beam satellite, etc).

Charlie charges us $5.00 to get locals....
Why shouldn't the stations charge him?????

Okay, lets do it this way... Dish will equally distribute the entire $5.99 among the local stations in each market. In turn all the local channels must pay for the POP costs, monitoring and maintenance at the POP, uplink cost, satellite time, billing costs, CSR support costs and downlink monitoring fees. Think they'll go for that?

Local stations that want to charge ANYTHING for a cable or satellite system to rebroadcast that station within the station's DMA should immediately have their license revoked for failure to serve households in the area they are charged to serve!

See ya
Tony

Thing is if Sat, Cable & telcos give in to the OTA stations then all markets will expect at least as much if not more. In the DMA I live, D* only carries 2 of the Big 4 Network channels. So if E* & cable co's were to drop those stations then they would go belly up. Reason there isn't enuff signal strength available in a large portion of the "viewing" area. Funny how empty spaces & mountains tend to do stuff like that. What we may see is if the stations for Fisher start seeing revenue drop after a while then there may be a change of heart. I think some one at Fisher has a feeling that they can boost the price to the MSO's to try and boost revenue because of lower advertising with the economy weakened. It may turn out to kick them in the arse. 1 last thing is it may be that Fisher is pushing for something else as well like carrying all of the Hispanic channels in these areas as well. So far E* isn't doing this in most areas due to limited bandwidth. TNG I kinda agree with those thoughts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts