Spending Limits Doesn't Accept Change HR24-200

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tspenard

Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
USA
Hi,

My latest bill showed the purchase of a PPV movie that we had not ordered. I called DTV and they let me know the date and time of said purchase. It turns out we had kids over that day; being it was a kid's movie it's pretty clear they were messing with the remote without asking permission. Anyhoo, I am now attempting to set a single item purchase limit (aka Spending Limits) via the receiver but it is not allowing the change to occur. I tried it on our 2nd identical HR24-200 and the change can be made (as many times as I want)... the 2nd receiver always stores the dollar amount I enter after backing out of the Parental Controls screen. Both receivers have software update 0x8a6 installed Wed 8/20/14 at nearly the same time (2am - 3am).

So clearly it is possible to change this spending limit amount and there is just something wrong with one of my receivers.

I called tech support and got yanked around for .5 hour, including them reauthorizing the receiver and me resetting it, with no resolve. I was told they won't attempt to fix the problem and that I should either set my max monthly limit over the phone (no thanks) or password protect the Parental Controls. Password protection is a fine workaround as long as it works, even though I'd prefer to just set the damned limit as it is intended to work and be done with it.

Question 1) I just set up a password to see how the system works. I could try to order a PPV movie and see if it ultimately requests my password before the sale is complete, however I have gone up to the point where the next click would order the PPV and it doesn't even warn of a password requirement. Do you know if it would ask for a password if I went ahead and clicked 'Buy Movie Now'?

Question 2) Has anyone run across this issue with unchangeable Spending Limits in Parental Controls? BTW in case it matters the default amount that won't change is $10.

Thanks for your time.

I think for the spending limit to take effect you have to lock the system in the parental controls screen.

Another option is to ask DirecTV to disable PPV ordering on the receivers, I believe that is an option. Then you could only buy PPV via the website or by calling in.

I think for the spending limit to take effect you have to lock the system in the parental controls screen.

Well, I changed Spending Limits perfectly well on my 2nd receiver without a parental lock password set up, not to mention that I also set up a password on the problem receiver and it made no difference that way either.

Another option is to ask DirecTV to disable PPV ordering on the receivers, I believe that is an option. Then you could only buy PPV via the website or by calling in.

Not one I'd prefer to pursue but thank you for the idea.

Jason is correct. You need to lock parental controls in order for the spending limit to be enforced...

I know this for a fact as I just had to pay for ninja turtles thanks to my 6yo daughter. We used to punish her by setting the parental controls to lock all channels but 1 and 201.. then my wife would just unlock it when she behaved... well this also unlocked the ability to order ppv.. I forgot that it didn't enforce the setting unless locked. And the spending limit was set to 0. And it still let her order it. So aside the fact that I'm a tech for dtv and need to teach other ppl how to use our system I can confirm via personal experience that you need to lock parental controls to enforce any of the settings inside.

Jason is correct. You need to lock parental controls in order for the spending limit to be enforced...

I know this for a fact as I just had to pay for ninja turtles thanks to my 6yo daughter. We used to punish her by setting the parental controls to lock all channels but 1 and 201.. then my wife would just unlock it when she behaved... well this also unlocked the ability to order ppv.. I forgot that it didn't enforce the setting unless locked. And the spending limit was set to 0. And it still let her order it. So aside the fact that I'm a tech for dtv and need to teach other ppl how to use our system I can confirm via personal experience that you need to lock parental controls to enforce any of the settings inside.

Sorry to the last responder for messing up my reply quotes.

Anyway, thanks for confirming that. That still doesn't get the spending limits to be changeable on my one quirky receiver. Not sure what the deal is. I didn't mention this before to keep the situation less muddied, but I can and have changed many different parental control parameters on the quirky receiver, such as TV and movie ratings, blocked channels, etc. Every other parameter changed and stayed changed. The only thing that won't take a change is spending limits. The numbers can be entered/changed on the screen, but as soon as you finish or otherwise back out it reverts to $10.

I guess as long as the PW protect portion works and I can remember the PW then all is OK.

I remember having several guest at the house with several kids, and one of them tried to order PPV while I was watching
Luckily I already setup PC and SL to $0 with password

Even if they succesfully ordered, You can block PPV channels even with no Spending Limit with password.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts