Splitters

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Ashley@sadoun

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 16, 2005
Columbus, OH
I have a pretty simple question i think, i would like to know in what cases would you use a splitter. I know that with FTA you dont want to use a splitter to split the signal comming from the LNB b/c then you run the risk of getting either horizontal or veritcal, not both, so you would use a dual or quad output lnb, so i am curious what would you use a splitter for? I think im supposed to know the answer to this already, but i dont, so thank you for any input!:)

I use a splitter on one of my dishes. On the "slave" unit make sure you put a DC block on the end so it doesn't screw up the main unit. :)

Yes you only get one polarity, but G10 most of the stuff is on V polarity. I've seen people use it on IA5 too if all they need is one polarity. Until I put on the Sadoun .4 LNB dual, I used a single unit with a 4 way splitter for G10

I use two HF splitters on the LNB connections (C and Ku) to my 4DTV so that I have slave my DVB box or boxes to it. I use the 1 leg power pass ones so that only the 'master' box can power the LNB.

I feed the one output from each splitter to a DiSEqC switch so I can do C/Ku from the DVB tuner.

I am limited to the polarity that the Master receiver (4DTV) is tuned to but the minor annoyance is worth it :).

Last edited:
Im using 3 HF splitters with single side dc pass (plus extra in line blocks simply because I don't trust them), a 4 port Diseqc, along with a 12v switch in a plumbers nightmare that combines 3 dishes (2 10ft and a 1m) and 3 receivers (922, coship 2300b and traxis 3500).

SD

so mainly you use splitters for C or when you slave, i knew that, but always wondered why people bought them so often, i never thought about the G10 satellite and the polarity's being on V, so thanks for that input! Iceberg, your always very helpful, thank you!

Also if someone wants just one channel on 2 receivers, they may do that.

A dual LNB is always recommended over the splitter technique, but if all they want is say PBS, then a single with a splitter would work fine (since both are same polarity)

I use a fixed polarity LNB on my Channel Master feedhorn aimed at G-10R. It's a Norsat, and I have it mounted to receive vertical, since most G-10R transponders are vertical. Of course, I miss out on the ever-popular VA program slate, and of course the Research Channel and the University of Washington TV channel on that dish. I can still get them with the motorized setup.

I could use a splitter without remorse on that LNB and get multiple outputs from my Channel Master. However, I plan to upgrade to a C-120 Invacom on the Channel Master one day...

Hey guys, i use two two way Tru-Spec HF splitters. One for C and One for KU band from my big dish so i can slave my DVB box to my dsr-905. I do not use DC blocks and both ports pass DC power. However Dc power will not pass from Receiver to Receiver because of internal diodes. I do this because i can simply turn off the receiver i am NOT using at the time and have full control of polarity to my lnbfs. Otherwise i would be stuck fumbling with both receiver to control polarity. This has worked well for about 3 years and i am getting ready to use three way power passing all ports splitter to slave an analog c/ku receiver to my system.:D

In my case my wife watches the box in another room with her own master remote with an extender so she can change channels at will. Much of the time all 3 receivers are on so the blocks give me some piece of mind.

SD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts