sporting event flicker

budmanx

Original poster
Dec 16, 2005
Just got a new Dish Network HDTV receiver (811) and am having a problem with a flicker (bright flash) while watching basketball or hockey. The interval between flicker is variable from 2 seconds to 15. Everything else is working fine, although it also flickers on non HD sporting events as well. My old non HDTV receiver worked fine with my TV.

The tech I spoke with at Dish Network said something about the system not being able to handle all the compressed data. He didn't have a solution for me.

Any ideas on how to fix?

Thanks

I'm going through the same thing with my plasma. In my case it's the tv. no matter if i feed HD content, DVD content, etc... I've tried everything including shutting the orbiter/wobbler off (anti-burn in mechanism). It seemed to alleviate it a little but is still there. very noticeable in darker scenes. my intervals of brightness flicker is about the same as yours.

What aspect is your sporting coverage coming in at.

I just realized there is a setting in my dvd player for 4:3 or 16:9 and it was set for 4:3. Changed to 16:9 and flicker is gone. Also have an option to turn progressive scan on which didn't change anything nor did i notice anything. I now have more picture and less letterboxing but the main thing is that the flicker stopped.

I'm just wondering if the dish receiver has to match the aspect ratio of the broadcast and if it is whether there is a defect in the box. (?).

sport flicker

Thanks for the reply. The receiver does have a setting for aspect ratio, which I have set at 16:9 for my widescreen TV. The only problem I have ever had is with indoor sporting events, basketball and hockey. Football is fine, but I don't know about baseball, my assumption is that it is fine. It better be fine for my Red Sox games.

If Dish Network doesn't get it fixed, maybe I'll try direct tv. I also have a call into the folks I bought the TV from. Maybe they will have a clue.

The dish network people have turned my problem over to their engineering department and have promised a fix within 7 days. We'll see.

Thanks, bud

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts