SportsNet New York, Now Available!

ccash said:
FIOS has a SNY deal, Cablevision has a deal, Direct TV on the verge of a deal, Dish even settled in Ohio. Why cant we get this channel? This is one CHEEP billionaire we are dealing with here. Its not like this service is any less that the others any more (I’ve been looking). I just don’t get this guy!

First YES now SNY... Charlie appears to be anti NY... I will be shocked if SNY magically appears on my guide tomorrow. SNY not being on Dish may be the last straw for this five year Dish Net customer... :mad:

Mets Opening Game starts in less than 21 hours...will cheap Charlie get this deal done in time... I doubt he will... :mad:

As a Mets, and more importantly as a New Yorker I am very, very concerned and unhappy that Dish put on the Cleveland Indians new channel, but not SNY. This is about the biggest slap in the face that a New Yorker could get. I mean, they put on the Cleveland channel, but have no deal with SNY and of course, they have no YES network on.

I don't care if the Cleveland channel costs less. This is New York everything is more expensive. I bet the Mets and Yankees ticket prices are higher than the Indians. Echostar is a company who now has said they do not care to do business in NY at the higher cost it costs in NY. I am very concerned about this and rather angry. This is some slap in the face.

Lucky said:
As a Mets, and more importantly as a New Yorker I am very, very concerned and unhappy that Dish put on the Cleveland Indians new channel, but not SNY. This is about the biggest slap in the face that a New Yorker could get. I mean, they put on the Cleveland channel, but have no deal with SNY and of course, they have no YES network on.

I don't care if the Cleveland channel costs less. This is New York everything is more expensive. I bet the Mets and Yankees ticket prices are higher than the Indians. Echostar is a company who now has said they do not care to do business in NY at the higher cost it costs in NY. I am very concerned about this and rather angry. This is some slap in the face.
Lucky, its almost 10 years that i have been with this company. They only offered a wopping 40 channels when I put my dish up. I'm spending 115 + per month here, if this does not get done soon I'm gone, Theres now a lot of options for me/us. I have some $ invested in equipment, but I'll get over it! No one from Dish that I have talked or that has responded to my emails gives a crap about NY. Notice they had no trouble getting the new Denver RSN up.

Customer Service is horrible and has been outsourced to India, everytime I turn around theres another add-on fee. Now no baseball. Dish Network is starting to turn into Cablevision :mad:

ccash said:
Lucky, its almost 10 years that i have been with this company. They only offered a wopping 40 channels when I put my dish up. I'm spending 115 + per month here, if this does not get done soon I'm gone, Theres now a lot of options for me/us. I have some $ invested in equipment, but I'll get over it! No one from Dish that I have talked or that has responded to my emails gives a crap about NY. Notice they had no trouble getting the new Denver RSN up.

To be quite honest I already have Cablevision with Dish, so I am already getting SNY. However, I am still here to support fellow New Yorkers and Met fans, because I take this personally. I wasn't as mad until they made the deal with the Cleveland channel. This is a total slap in the face to New Yorkers.

I know Dish would say that the Cleveland channel gave them a fairer deal, and it was cheaper. However, that is irrelevant. Everything is more expensive here in NY. That is just part of the way business is done in NY. The tickets are more expensive and so is the TV. If Dish does not want to participate in NY baseball than they should just get out of the NY market.

Well, I seem to be paying for your RSNs. You want 4. I get none. The New York sports scene created your problem, not the provider. The cost of the Yankees+Mets more than doubled in a few short years. I do have Comcast to get my one RSN+alternate(CN8). You can guess how much extra that is. He may becide to play favorites in your market and give you the Mets without the Yankees. If so, it will cost me more money here in the Philadelphia market. I can already feel the crunch on D*. :)

All I know is the cost of doing business in NY is more. That is just the way it is. You have to average your costs to include all the markets. Our ticket prices are the highest, and our RSN's are the most expensive. That is just the way it is. If Dish Network is not ready to pay the cost of doing business in NY then they are discriminating against viewers in the NY market. Just wait until their MSG/FSNY deal comes up for renewal. They are getting $ 4.00 for the two channels right now. That is a little less than YES, but more the SNY. That is the way it is in NY. Play by the rules in NY or do not play at all.

All the other providers in NY carry all 4 RSN's (as soon as DirecTV signs their SNY deal) and they all have the same prices as Dish. The others feel it is important to give NY sports fans their RSN's. Dish thinks it is more important to keep their profit margin up. They make it like they are keeping prices down by not getting these RSN's. That is pure garbage. Their prices are in line with every other provider in the market that has the 4 RSN's. They hand out this company line about keeping fees low for customers, but that is just not true.

Last edited:
JohnH said:
Well, I seem to be paying for your RSNs. You want 4. I get none. The New York sports scene created your problem, not the provider. The cost of the Yankees+Mets more than doubled in a few short years. I do have Comcast to get my one RSN+alternate(CN8). You can guess how much extra that is. He may becide to play favorites in your market and give you the Mets without the Yankees. If so, it will cost me more money here in the Philadelphia market. I can already feel the crunch on D*. :)
He does not have any trouble spending ad $'s here in NY. I’m sure the cost of advertising here is substantially more compared to Reading, but he spends the money. Like lucky said, just the cost of doing business here.

JohnH said:

Well, thats not E*s fault, talk to comcast, Dish cannot get Comcast SportsNet Philly at any cost because comcast is using a legal loophole where they don't have to offer it to any satellite provider.

SNY = Probably not going to happen.

Why?

Not because Charlie is cheap because the market penetration in the NY DMA is weak ever since YES. I live about 10-15 miles west of NYC and there are hardly any DISH Network dishes up. However, I see at least 3-5 DirecTV dishes PER STREET.

Theres no point in adding a channel that no one will really watch. Charlie said it back on a chat way back when, "If you want YES, get DirecTV"

He's going to be saying the same thing about SNY. There won't be anyone left for DISH in NJ/NY.

Scottie318 said:

Why?

Not because Charlie is cheap because the market penetration in the NY DMA is weak ever since YES.

Why don't we have YES? BECAUSE CHARLIE IS CHEAP!!!!

Thats ok, I've found a way to beat MLB.TV blackouts

Last edited:
Scottie318 said:

Why?

Not because Charlie is cheap because the market penetration in the NY DMA is weak ever since YES. I live about 10-15 miles west of NYC and there are hardly any DISH Network dishes up. However, I see at least 3-5 DirecTV dishes PER STREET.

Theres no point in adding a channel that no one will really watch. Charlie said it back on a chat way back when, "If you want YES, get DirecTV"

He's going to be saying the same thing about SNY. There won't be anyone left for DISH in NJ/NY.

That's why it depends where you live. I live here on Long Island, which is Mets country, and I would say it is about 2/3 to 1/3 Dish to DirecTV dishes around here. That is because a great deal of the Mets fan base lives on Long Island. The Yankee fans have DirecTV. Soon Met fans will follow suit and either have DirecTV or Cablevision here on Long Island.

I think I have atleast have

Simple www.hotspotvpn.com . Its supposed to be for to increase security at hotspots by routing your surfing thru their VPN (virtual Private Network). So when MLB.TV traces your IP, it shows up as if your in Los Angeles (guess I'm still blocked out of any Dodgers/Mets games) It cost $8.88 a month. I'll find out if it works tommorow, when spring training is over.

If you live in NY and you are really into baseball in HD then you need to look very close to what your cable company can provide. Whether is RCN, CV or TW. You have the Mets and Yankees in HD plus 3 games per week on INHD. This is besides what is going to be on ESPN or what is going to be on Fox (if fox decides to do any regula HD games). Lots of baseball in HD provided by your local cable provider.

Okay, here is a little ticket price comparison to illustrate my point. Look here from Mets, Yankees and Indians ticket prices :

http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/nym/ticketing/seating_pricing.jsp

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/nyy/ticketing/seating_pricing.jsp

http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cle/ballpark/seating_pricing.jsp

Look how much higher the Mets and Yankees ticket prices are to the Indians. This is what I mean about cost of doing business in NY. Our ticket prices are higher and so is our RSN's. That's just the way it is in NY. Everything is done bigger and more expensive. My point is if Dish is unwilling to do business in NY at the high price it costs to do business here than they should just get out. The RSN's in NY will always cost more, and all the other providers pay it. Dish should pay it too, or just stop doing business in NY.

Lucky said:
..... will always cost more, and all the other providers pay it. Dish should pay it too, or just stop doing business in NY.

or they could just continue on as they have been and supply service to those NY customers and those around the rest of the nation that don't care about the Mets or Yankees.

Chrisc490 said:
or they could just continue on as they have been and supply service to those NY customers and those around the rest of the nation that don't care about the Mets or Yankees.

Yes, they certainly can. However, they are turning down a huge market here in NY. Do you realize the Mets and Yankees will draw over 7 million people combined to their ballparks this year. The Mets, in fact, drew 13,000 today just for a workout at Shea. Don't you think some of these 7 million people are current or potential customers ? I think people out of NY do not realize how huge baseball is in NY. It is different in most markets. To not have any local baseball in the largest market, who has many passionate baseball fans is a bad business model. They already lost the Yankee crowd. Let's see Dish Network's share of customers in NY when they lose the Mets crowd, too.

YES didn't hurt me since I'm a Mets fan, but SNY does. I don't mind paying an extra $2.50 more, just get me the channel! I know they like to tout their nationwide pricing, but it may be time to have higher prices in the New York market since we have more channels....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)