sprint announces 3 new cities for 4g

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
NW Ohio - Buckeye Country
Mine fluctuates between 2 and none without the airwave.

I have just bought a new Samsung Epic and I don't think I need the airwave anymore, but I think I'm in a contract with it.

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
probably. i live in a best coverage area according to sprint but my house must be in a dead spot as i drop calls like crazy without my airave. the new unit has 3g!
Yep... just get to retentions and they will fix you up. Tell them you keep dropping calls and barely get any signal at your driveway.
Thanks! I called them and they agreed to send me an Airave and waive the $99 change, however I would still have the pay the $5 montly useage fee. They weren't willing to waive the month fee since I am on a SERO plan. Strangely, they also said that I was in a Nextel area and that I could switch to a Nextel plan. I told them I wasn't interested, and I was actually surprised because I thought Sprint and Nextel merged a few years back. Why would they still be operating seperate networks? Strange!

Anyway, the nice customer rep told I could upgrade to a new 3G phone for an additional $10 or a 4G phone for $20 more than my current $30 SERO plan on October 1st. I know the rumors have been floating for the past few weeks, so it's nice to get it straight from Sprint. I think I'll upgrade to the Samsung Epic 4G on 1 October.

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer
Supporting Founder
Sep 13, 2005
daytona beach
Thanks! I called them and they agreed to send me an Airave and waive the $99 change, however I would still have the pay the $5 montly useage fee. They weren't willing to waive the month fee since I am on a SERO plan. Strangely, they also said that I was in a Nextel area and that I could switch to a Nextel plan. I told them I wasn't interested, and I was actually surprised because I thought Sprint and Nextel merged a few years back. Why would they still be operating seperate networks? Strange!

Anyway, the nice customer rep told I could upgrade to a new 3G phone for an additional $10 or a 4G phone for $20 more than my current $30 SERO plan on October 1st. I know the rumors have been floating for the past few weeks, so it's nice to get it straight from Sprint. I think I'll upgrade to the Samsung Epic 4G on 1 October.

my understanding ws that there was no five dollar monthly charge for the airvana and it falls under a data plan? i place a wuestion mark there because i might have read things wrong. i know that i'm not being charged any monthly fee for the airvana. and i never was charged a monthly fee with the airave.

in any event, i'm glad you got the new unit for free. mine will be here monday!

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
.... I thought Sprint and Nextel merged a few years back. Why would they still be operating seperate networks? Strange!....

Because, IMO and that of the authors of some articles I've read, they made a mistake in the merger, found things to be more difficult and expensive than expected, and could not merge many functions to save money. Actually cheaper to draw down and phase out Nextel (& iDen) than to do more "merging."

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
Because, IMO and that of the authors of some articles I've read, they made a mistake in the merger, found things to be more difficult and expensive than expected, and could not merge many functions to save money. Actually cheaper to draw down and phase out Nextel (& iDen) than to do more "merging."
I see...and just read an interesting analysis of the failure after you mentioned it. On a positive note, I read there Sprint is finally starting to pick-up customers after several years of shedding them, and their new 4G smartphones (HTC EVO and Samsung Epic) are leading the way. To be honest, their "Look what $69.99 Buy You" advertising which shows Sprint provides text and data over Verizon and AT&T's plans, has got to be attracting customers who are fed-up with the high-prices.

digiblur

SatelliteGuys Master
Jun 8, 2005
Louisiana
I got the Airave for free 2 yrs ago and never payed a monthly fee for it. I saw a link to some material on the Sprint.com site also verifying that for $30 SERO you add $10 and get the newer devices activated and it also adds anytime mobile.

I'll have to weigh everything if it is worth it... AT&T doesn't have coverage at my house either and I would have to get their box. Not to mention I'm at a state park this weekend and my brother's girlfriend has an iphone and has zero coverage here. Sprint doesn't have coverage here either but Verizon does so I've had no issues texting or making phone calls when needed. Not that I really need the phone but it is nice to be able to use it.

navychop

Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
I think Sprint is the ONLY cell company to have ever ended a year with fewer customers than they started with. And they've done it what, three times?

I suspect TMobile will overtake them, unless they get absorbed. Perhaps the better word is: Assimilated. ;)

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005

I like my Epic, just getting to know it, it's my 1st Smart Phone, so it's taking some time with the learning curve.
Don't forget, the Epic or EVO will cost you an addl. $ 10 p/m for the data package, not sure what the SERO plan does for you.

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
I think Sprint is the ONLY cell company to have ever ended a year with fewer customers than they started with. And they've done it what, three times?

I suspect TMobile will overtake them, unless they get absorbed. Perhaps the better word is: Assimilated. ;)
Unless Sprint gets absorbed ?

Not gonna happen.

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
I like my Epic, just getting to know it, it's my 1st Smart Phone, so it's taking some time with the learning curve.
Don't forget, the Epic or EVO will cost you an addl. $ 10 p/m for the data package, not sure what the SERO plan does for you.
After October 1st, Sprint will allow SERO customers to upgrade to an 3G Android for an additional $10 or a 4G Android for $20. The Epic will run me $50 whereas it would run $69.99 if I were to upgrade today and be moved into the Everything Plus Data Referral Program.

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
No. T-Mobile. I don't think absorbing Sprint is a value proposition for anyone.
Agreed. Sprint seems like they finally removed their heads from their arses and are headed in the right direction with their nationwide 4G'ish deployment, top-notch 4G smartphones, pricing that puts Verizon and AT&T to shame, and a pretty good adveritising campaign.

navychop

Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
But their actual owned network is still small, isn't it? I'm sure they'll work on that, given the chance.

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer
Supporting Founder
Sep 13, 2005
daytona beach
sprint is making my head spin. they sent me 2 airave access points, although one is on my account. i called them and the csr was totally confused. first, she tried to cancel my current airave but turned me back on. finally, after about 15 minutes she got smart enough to realize she needed to send a second return kit.

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
Agreed. Sprint seems like they finally removed their heads from their arses and are headed in the right direction with their nationwide 4G'ish deployment, top-notch 4G smartphones, pricing that puts Verizon and AT&T to shame, and a pretty good adveritising campaign.

If they would quit charging the extra $ 10 for those without the ability to get 4g coverage.

They are making a BUNCH of FREE money.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts