Stargate Universe

I agree, Jack O'Neill in this series is only partly the Jack that was in SG1 and a few guest appearances in SGA. Sadly, he's become "The Man" that he didn't want to become when he took over leadership of the SGC when Hammond got promoted. It's like the writers have forgotten the character they spent 10+ years developing, and Anderson doesn't seem to care either...

It's called growing up. The longer you work for the government the more you become like the government or man in this case. I know because I have worked for them going on 16 years now. No person stays the same in the real world. We all grow or we stagnate as a person.

It's called growing up. The longer you work for the government the more you become like the government or man in this case. I know because I have worked for them going on 16 years now. No person stays the same in the real world. We all grow or we stagnate as a person.

Some truth in that, yes, but also, it's a serious break from established character...more than could reasonably be expected in a 3-4 year period...even the O'Neill in "Continuum" was more Jack than the one we're seeing in SGU. I don't think all of it can be due to "growing up".

I too worked for government for 23 years and then went into private business. Certainly, from 22-45, I grew up and changed substantially. I think most people would. But going from 45-49, I don't think I've changed that much more.

My point: unless the timeline has advanced significantly in SGU from where it left off in Continuum, I think it would be more realistic if O'Neill were more like the Jack we knew (even in Continuum) than the one we're seeing in SGU. Simply: the writers (or execs at Sciffy...or both) are seriously departing from established thematic elements and I think the show is suffering because of it...

Presently, I find myself enjoying Sanctuary quite a bit more than SGU, and I never expected that to happen...

Something significant could have happened to O'Neil during that time to explain things, so far as fandom goes.

Anyways, I just watched 'Earth' and have no idea where SGU is going yet or what the major long term conflict is. Not even a clue as to what it might be. Also, the nerd-in-love story line is getting old really really fast. Maybe its just being pushing too hard with no time for subtle development. Personally, I think his character would be much better right now if he was just a more significant counter to the establishment.

Read my spoiler if you have seen this episode.

Did anyone else see the part coming where switching personalities with the stones would cause something like happened to Telfore and Young. I saw that coming from the beginning. No necessarily those two but something where someone would sleep with someone and then the connection would get broken.

In my mind its official: The writers took the worst parts of BSG and the worst parts of the SG universe, included the least likeable and most irritating characters and threw them onto a script and shat out SG-U :)

I am still watching. But now it has become the background noise while I work on the laptop.

See ya
Tony

In my mind its official: The writers took the worst parts of BSG and the worst parts of the SG universe, included the least likeable and most irritating characters and threw them onto a script and shat out SG-U :)

I am still watching. But now it has become the background noise while I work on the laptop.

See ya
Tony
Yup... I agree Tony and looking at other sites including a couple "across the pond" everyone sees this..

The fact that I find both Sanctuary and V more interesting than SGU at this time ought to indicate that there's something seriously wrong with SGU. W13 is actually more entertaining than SGU...I keep watching SGU in the increasingly vain hope that it will get better... With each passing week, my hopes for this show continue to slip...I'll continue watching up to the mid-season break and then decide whether the timer will stay or go. At this point, it's at about 70% that the timer will be deleted after the mid-season break.

Never thought I'd see a seriously bad spin-off from Stargate, but the premise of this show sounded iffy from the time it hit the web, and the execution of the show has (thus-far) lived down to every reservation many of us had after reading about the show's premise...

See ya
Tony

I think you've got it right. This explains why I find this show so irritating.

The fact that I find both Sanctuary and V more interesting than SGU at this time ought to indicate that there's something seriously wrong with SGU. W13 is actually more entertaining than SGU...I keep watching SGU in the increasingly vain hope that it will get better... With each passing week, my hopes for this show continue to slip...I'll continue watching up to the mid-season break and then decide whether the timer will stay or go. At this point, it's at about 70% that the timer will be deleted after the mid-season break.

Never thought I'd see a seriously bad spin-off from Stargate, but the premise of this show sounded iffy from the time it hit the web, and the execution of the show has (thus-far) lived down to every reservation many of us had after reading about the show's premise...

This is so true. Although I have not even tried to watch Sanctuary. I am not ready to say much positive about V yet, but it at least is bubble-gum sci-fi. It tastes good for the few minute or so. SGU is like eating somebody else's gum. :(

From the article about the series in post #1:

Part of the new focus is a deliberate attempt to bring in younger viewers to watch Stargate Universe. "This is an opportunity to reinvent this franchise and make it relevant to a new generation," SCI FI president Dave Howe told The Hollywood Reporter. "We really don't want to be more of the same. It's going to build clearly off the existing franchise but with a cast that gives it a younger vibe."

And I think this is precisely why we're not liking the series...and it's obvious that sciffy had a big hand in changing the look/feel of the franchise...