Starting a subcontractor business?

lane_change

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 1, 2005
Houston, TX
I have been thinking about opening my own subcontractor businees and I am curious as to where to get information and licensing requirements from Echostar. I have contacted Echo and only get information regarding a retailer business which I don't want to deal with.

My friend and I have both been installing systems for a few years now both working for DNS as FSS techs and currently now work as private subs for Aerocomm and have been for over a year now as a sub.

Just seeing if anyone on here has any insight on where to start. The location will be in St. Louis, MO.

I appreciate any insight or help regarding this.

Thanks,
Scott

Welcome to the Fourm Lane Change! I hope you make this your new home. Echostar has there own internal techs that does some of the work. Most of the other work is preformed by retailers who do look for people like you. You might want to check out our sister sight DISHRETAILER.COM and they may beable to help you. You might be able to find some one in your area that can help you find work. Most likely you would have to find a retailer in the area and install for them. If anyone else knows another way please feel free to jump in.

you can get dnsc fullfillment work as a subcontractor.
I will tell you it doesn't pay all too well. $75 for a service call and you are responsible for it for a year.
Just today I had to go back on one who has been a customer for 7 years because her 3000 finally fried. And I got the joy of doing it for free because when i repeaked her dish months back I should have forseen the reciever going bad.
I also just today had another trouble call(non pay) for a customer Ive been to 3 times in the past 3 weeks. The original tech who got paid for the install did not have to guarantee his work 2 days later..instead they sent me to plug in her phone lines. Then her 322 stopped working...and finally Dish never sent activation to her swap out 322 so I got another trouble call.

Ive also had plenty of instances where the account notes say the customer complained about the charge for a service call so they sent me out free "just this one time" even though it was not under warranty anymore.

It pays well enough to do it, but its vaseline day every day. I really hate being responsible for crap dnsc installs for a year just because I was the one who got stuck going to fix it...oh, and you cannot put in for a reinstall no matter how horrible it is unless it takes you 2.5 hours to repair, but you ARE expected to repair it for free.

good luck :)

Hey 40 oz, I don't see how you can be held accountable for equipment failures. The example you cited of the 3000 failing is something you should have been paid for. I would try to fight for that one. Having to repeak a dish within the year of install is one thing, but being held responsible for a receiver crapping out is a totally unrelated thing. With the contractor I'm with you normally get paid for both service-calls

It depends on which company you work for. Probably minimum is a buisness license, liabaility insurance, your own vehicle with proof of insurance. Tools, etc.

Maybe I wasn't 100% clear in my first post, but I already do installs, myself and my friend are both installers/technicians for Aerocomm as private contractors.

I have decided I want to eliminate Aerocomm from the equation and start up my own contractor business. I understand about the service work, the warranty, and the b.s. involved with Echostar.

I am looking for information or guidance on where to inquire about starting a sub-contractor business. The retaildishnetwork site is strictly for retail, which I will not be involved in. I will be getting ahold of some local retailers about being their contractors as well, but would like to be able to work with DNS through E-connect as well.

Thanks for the help guys,

Scott

lane_change said:
I have decided I want to eliminate Aerocomm from the equation and start up my own contractor business. I understand about the service work, the warranty, and the b.s. involved with Echostar.

Then you need to bribe someone who has the authority to steal someone's area and give it to you.

/jk (or is it?)

go talk to a retailer that does DNS jobs, and see if they are hiring, i just stopped installing, but i used to install just south of st louis, and as far as i know, there isn't a whole lot of hiring going on in the area
as far as i know

Go to this site http://groups.msn.com/SatelliteBroadbandTechnicians/messageboard.msnw?&pps=k
alot of good info . Dish doesn't send jobs to subs just hsp's same with direc, hard times for independent installers.
I've been a tech for ten years independent contractor for 8 years I am pounding nails now . It pays more and no one is constantly trying to screw you over.

If a homeowner doesn't pay you can simply put a lien on their home.

you need to find out who the gm for dish is in your area and speak with that person. just a warning yoiu have to buy all the equip from dish and you get reimbursed as you install it so you need to put up some money.

Yes, I am aware of the cost involved with reembursement of equipment, and payment time, and what have you....I am not going to be an independant installer, but hoping to simply open my own sub business w/ more installers than just myself. I will go talk with DNS about this and see what the GM says...we also have the regional manager located in this office as well, so maybe we can get high enough in the food chain to get some answers.

I trained some of the FSM's at the DNS office, and also trained the IM when he first started a few years back, so hopefully, I can get some service out of them for all my old hard work of teaching them how to do what they do. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)