STB/Digital Cable Dilemmas

yourbeliefs

Something Profound
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 20, 2007
Northeast
My grandmother has analog Comcast Cable. Although she's been getting raped by their excessive rates and channel plucking, like a battered wife she can't seem to leave the horrible monster and thus we are stuck with dealing with Comcast until AT&T finally decides to roll out U-Verse in her area.

Anyways I recently called Comcast to get confirmation on a service upgrade price quote, only to be told that the rate that I saw only applied to NEW customers (apparently customers who have stuck by the company for years are only eligable for the equivalent of kicks to the face) and that after the "Digital Transition" (which was still in February at time of call) she would HAVE to upgrade to digital cable at their regular rate, which is nothing short of insanely unfair and more inflated than a ballon at the Macy's parade.

Needless to say I'm stuck in a bit of a conundrum. The idea of paying a bunch of rental fees and equipment costs to continue to get television service is not very appealing. My grandmother now has two new HDTVs with digital tuners. I've read online about Digital TVs/ATSC/QAM capabilities, but the consensus I've gotten is that odds are you won't get much with just those and that you'll need a STB anyways for when the channels go digital. Do you NEED a STB to get Digital Cable channels (CableCARD isn't an option) or could she just subscribe to the digital cable package and hook it up to a Digital tuner tv and get the channels that way (or at least a majority of them?)

On a related note, my dad has Comcast as well and has digital cable already. He has 4 televisions and two of them use boxes, while the other two just hook right into the wall. One of them has digital capabilities. Assuming this Comcast branch does the same thing as my grandmother's, will he need an extra box for each extra television, or will he be able to still use the old "wall" method with all the channels over 75 stripped out?

Lastly, with the huge backlash that is sure to come from numerous people over this "required" rate and equipment hike, do you think it's possible that I can probably haggle with Comcast to get a more reasonable rate? My grandmother is an 82+ year old woman who has been using Comcast before they even took over that company (I think it was TCI then AT&T and then Comcast.) To the best of my knowledge they have not sent out any tangible notice of the required upgrade, and I think it's complete BS that you need to be a NEW customer to get anything resembling a decent rate. Has anyone had any luck pushing on Comcast for more reasonable rates in leiu of better satellite offers, customer loyalty, and basic "calling out" of crappy deals that they've had thrown upon them? I don't have much experience with this, as I have been a happy D* customer for a number of years, but sadly Satellite is not an option for her and FiOS and U-Verse haven't shown any interest in expanding to her area.

I don't know. I've been around and through with Comcast as well, and it's to the point I've gone to the local AT&T store and begged them to please put a VRAD in my area. I would be happy to offer up my front lawn (although I would prefer the back) - just because I'm so fed up with Comcast.

i am not sure if this will apply to you but i will throw it out there. If someone else in her home ( or not living with her ) can put the service in there name, she can THEN get the deals and promotions that comcast offers.

I was paying like 60.00 for internet and cable when i was staying at my moms house, i moved out and she just kept service and took over the biil, once the promo ended prices jacked up HIGH! i called a few times and found out that you can do a name change or something along those lines to where you can KEEP all your eqeuipment and service and all they would do is a name change and then you will be able to get the new promotions, without having to hall all that crap to comcast and have another tech come out and charge you for install and what not

We filled out some form, dropped it off at the office and within a week or 2, she had the same service at the price i was paying during the promo and it exteded for another year.

Its totally legal and legit, i just forget what its called, its a name change or something.

i am not sure if this will apply to you but i will throw it out there. If someone else in her home ( or not living with her ) can put the service in there name, she can THEN get the deals and promotions that comcast offers.

I was paying like 60.00 for internet and cable when i was staying at my moms house, i moved out and she just kept service and took over the biil, once the promo ended prices jacked up HIGH! i called a few times and found out that you can do a name change or something along those lines to where you can KEEP all your eqeuipment and service and all they would do is a name change and then you will be able to get the new promotions, without having to hall all that crap to comcast and have another tech come out and charge you for install and what not

We filled out some form, dropped it off at the office and within a week or 2, she had the same service at the price i was paying during the promo and it exteded for another year.

Its totally legal and legit, i just forget what its called, its a name change or something.
That may be an option. My dad has been itching to take over the billing for her, so maybe I could either change or cancel the service and make a new one in his name. Still, doesn't change the fact that we'd be stuck with COMCAST...

Speaking of this... while I was at my dad's for the Super Bowl, I noticed that the Digital local stations don't work anymore via the cable line (3-1, 8-1, etc.) I thought the cable company wasn't "allowed" to take the local stations off of the regular line, allowing QAM access to those stations.

Comcast has been known to move the required unencrypted QAM stations, so that you must re-scan or do a "channel search" to get them back. Conveniently, customers using a Comcast cable box are unaffected by this, only those who want to get HD/digital without additional fees via Clear QAM.

I have a simple solution to your problem, for about the same price you are paying now for basic preferred cable you can upgrade to digital starter and gain back all the channels you lost. Yes you need a digital box for all tvs that you want the full channel lineup on, but you will gain the ondemand and interactive guide for the channels.

The alternative (different providers) would still require you to have digital boxes on all tvs, plus charges for all boxes, installation etc.

Comcast changing their channels to digital has nothing to do (nothing) with the dtv conversion. Its comcast's way to make more bandwidth space for more channels and hd content. It will take a better part of a year or so to fully convert to digital. So no you can not use a dtv converter box for a cable box.

THe one nice thing about cable service, is that if you just want local channels, you can get it without a dtv or cable box and just pay comcast for it. Called limited basic.

As for intro rates, just don't ask for them. Pay the regular price. Your grandmother can afford it. If she cant she shouldn't be subscribing to cable. If you were able to get an intro rate enjoy it while you can.

Yes..

I replyed before reading the last post.. but he is right. comcast stander cable is about the same price as dig starter.. comcast is doing a massive upgrade to their network.. watch and see :) enjoy all your new channels!!!! COMMING SOON! and no price raise :) gotta love em!! Plus they just got docsis 3.0 THANKS FOR THE NEW SPEEEDDS! woop.. and forgot the new upgrades alot more HD then anyone.. FIOS has 103 hd channels.. that awesome.. check out boston all dig area for comcast.. 107!! woops.. so comcast has a cheaper phone.. faster internet and more hd? check the value in that product.. and i love my free macafee for just being a comcast internet customer.. i dont understand how anyone can be upset with them.

I can smell the astroturf in the air.
I might point out that if Comcast wouldn't encrypt Digital Starter (which pretty much IS the same thing as the old Basic plus Extended/Preferred cable), then I wouldn't need to rent a box for each TV, which I don't want for a variety of reasons.
If Comcast and other cable providers would comply with the rules on the books, I would have been able to buy my own cable boxes for years now. For that matter, why can't I buy the new DTA adaptors? I'd be happy enough to buy a few of those for $40-50 each (and yes I realize no govt coupon could be used).
Meanwhile, Comcast continues to remove channels from the old Extended cable, while raising the price, and forcing me to rent additional equipment at significant expense just to keep the same programming I had before.
Furthermore, we have an individual with disabilities in our household, and it would be extremely difficult for her to learn to use a cable box. She is also homebound to a great extent and therefore relies on cable as her window to the world.

The only hope I have is that the new FCC will disallow Comcast's use of Privacy Mode for DTAs, and require the "Basic plus Extended" package to be shown in Clear QAM. I don't see why it's so bad for Comcast to continue using traps, at least for now.

I can smell the astroturf in the air.
I might point out that if Comcast wouldn't encrypt Digital Starter (which pretty much IS the same thing as the old Basic plus Extended/Preferred cable), then I wouldn't need to rent a box for each TV, which I don't want for a variety of reasons.
If Comcast and other cable providers would comply with the rules on the books, I would have been able to buy my own cable boxes for years now. For that matter, why can't I buy the new DTA adaptors? I'd be happy enough to buy a few of those for $40-50 each (and yes I realize no govt coupon could be used).
Meanwhile, Comcast continues to remove channels from the old Extended cable, while raising the price, and forcing me to rent additional equipment at significant expense just to keep the same programming I had before.
Furthermore, we have an individual with disabilities in our household, and it would be extremely difficult for her to learn to use a cable box. She is also homebound to a great extent and therefore relies on cable as her window to the world.

The only hope I have is that the new FCC will disallow Comcast's use of Privacy Mode for DTAs, and require the "Basic plus Extended" package to be shown in Clear QAM. I don't see why it's so bad for Comcast to continue using traps, at least for now.

Okay i am not sure where you get your info. but the box is not for encryption. the box allows a two communication between your box and comcast allowing for instant channel changes ( incase you order ppv or hbo etc) and allows you to run ondemand movies instantly without loading.

Why would anybody want to buy a cable box? So if it breaks down you can buy another. I'd rather "rent" one and call Comcast when it needs replacing.

Back when I cared about Comcast, I'd heard that in the East, Comcast was interpreting clear channel requirements as applying only to analog signals, and had started encrypting local HD. People speculated that it was their test case to see if they got away with it. In the NW, they are putting filters on the limited basic customers' lines to block channels 33-70, and the expectation is that within a month of converting expanded analog customers to digital, they will move all unencrypted channels to channels 33-70, so limited basic customers get only what they pay for.

As far as Comcast deals go, in our area, customer reps are utterly unwilling to barter, but if you ask for cancellation services, you get a deal. I tried half a dozen times to get the same deal Comcast gave my neighbor, and when I gave up and called to cancel, they offered me the deal, which was digital starter for $33 for 6 months. I lasted 3 months and cancelled the whole thing. There are a few stations I miss, but they are not worth $720/year.

Okay i am not sure where you get your info. but the box is not for encryption. the box allows a two communication between your box and comcast allowing for instant channel changes ( incase you order ppv or hbo etc) and allows you to run ondemand movies instantly without loading.

Why would anybody want to buy a cable box? So if it breaks down you can buy another. I'd rather "rent" one and call Comcast when it needs replacing.
The box is not for encryption?
So it's just my imagination that Comcast encrypts a lot of its digital lineup?
:confused:

Comcast Digital - remove favorites LIST

6 years in slammer for descrambling

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)