Stern files too big for iPod

doneill76

Original poster
Dec 28, 2005
Hello to anyone and everyone who can help me.

For the first few days of Stern, I was getting B+ to A- quality recordings. However, when I move them to my iTunes, and then my iPod, I start to get into trouble. My iPod runs and reacts very sluggishly while playing these files. Sometimes, the file is very choppy; I can sometimes fix this by pressing "play/pause" once, and then again. I repeat this until finally the file plays back smoothly.

Today I tried to break up the show into hour long chunks so that the iPod could handle it without driving me crazy! Unfortunately, I didn't get to test them due to the fact that my TimeTrax unit AGAIN had trouble finding a signal and actually shut down several times. Out of a 5 to 6 hour show, I was able to get two hour long files. Oh well!

On a side note, did anyone else have trouble today/tonight recording the show?

My ipod photo seems to have no problem dealing with the 5-6 hour mp3 recorded at 128/stereo. What bit rate are you using, and what kind of ipod?

(to answer your other question, had no problem recording the east coast morning feed - i'm on the west coast).

I just changed my setting to 128. It was a little higher before. My iPod is a 3rd Generation; it's older, but I've never had trouble before.

Thanks for the tip.

Hi Doneil,

Have you loaded the latest firmware / software on the iPod?

I had to do this with my 4G when I had issues with it doing exactly what you are describing.

This was Apple tech support who told me to do this.

Go to the Apple site and download the Apple Ipod Updater.....

It seemed to do the trick for me.

Derek

Hi Derek,

Thanks for your help. However, I downloaded the latest updater for my iPod, but after scanning my iPod the program "said" that I had the latest software already. I'm not sure if that is true, the last time that I updated it was quite a while ago.

I'm going to call Apple and see what they say. For now I'll just continue doing the "Play/Pause" button dance.

Dan

Have TimeTrax record the show in two or three chunks. I had the problem with my 3rd generation iPod that you report and it did not happen with the two or three hour files.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)