Still Buzzing

Status
Please reply by conversation.

fafhrd2

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
Fairmont WV
Went to a yard sale yesterday and bought a Buzz 2010f receiver for 5 bucks. Had never heard of this brand, but what the hey, the box said Blind Scan. Sooo... got home and found that there was a computer cable attached to the box. Hmmmn.... Anyway, upon startup the screen showed a list of over 700 channels, all Echostar 7, 8, and 10! Pretty clear now what this box was used for! Hooked up to 97 W dish and scanned, then deleted the Dish channels as well as the Irdeto and Nagra channels from g19. All systems go, and I'm very pleased with all features except signal monitoring (no audio beeping, small display). Any Satelliteguy/gal who has one of these boxes, please chime in with evaluations, comments, etc., and thanks in advance.
Another kind of buzzing was coming from inside the lnb on my C band dish-- a wasp's nest and insects that needed cleaning out. Sure helped reception after I did that!

I had one of those and I **think** turbosat still has one

They were nice units but the blind scan on quick was kinda useless. It skipped too much stuff.

Sooo... got home and found that there was a computer cable attached to the box.
is the cable hard wired into the unit?

The BUZZ , if nothing else, has a great tuning meter for aiming a dish. The Buzz is the same box as the SonicView SV-1000. The Buzz also doesn't exactly support USALS mode. It's uses USALS to find satellite, but then you should "save the position" if you expect it to return again. At least , that was my experience. I like the box, but it has it's quirks. Wish I still had one for tuning.

:)

there was a Buzz 2010F and also an F+, I think one had the component output jacks, have to look. I have one of each, and I like 'em alright. I use the 2010plus box all the time and it scans slow but mine doesn't miss much. Maybe I should say that this one was sold to me as new, but came to me with hacker software in it, the pirates figured out you could convert the Buzz plus to Sonicview 4000 , so that's really what this box is, I suppose. (its a one-way street, you can't switch it back). Anyway, I think both the Buzz and Buzz plus have that audio thing on it, I have mine turned off because I don't really want to hear it in the house. Look in the menus and you'll probably find it. Look under Menu=System Settings, then under USER settings and you might find it, thats's where it is on my Buzzplus/sv4000 mixed up box!

I just inherited a friend's Buzz 2010... Not sure what I'll do with it, probably use it as a second receiver. I was sold on the Visionsats since the first day I used one, and haven't used any other box since.

Ice, no, the cable was rs232, I just unplugged it. Turbosat, the audio beep option is for when you press buttons on the remote.(At least on my hacked version). Thank you guys and BrentB and Tron as well for your help.

Ok, did you try pressing that SIG button on the remote (down toward the bottom) You can look at signals that way and on mine it beeps, also when I'm viewing a channel and hit the OK button.

Ok, did you try pressing that SIG button on the remote (down toward the bottom) You can look at signals that way and on mine it beeps, also when I'm viewing a channel and hit the OK button.

You can also jog the motor from the SIG button, which is a nice feature. I could wish for all the best features of various STB's combined into one.
:)

I guess the signal meter screen (a grid with 2 lines for strength and quality) and numbers is OK if you take a tv set out to the dish while you are tuning, peaking; but the Buzz does not beep faster as you approach good lock -- whereas my Fortec Star does; and it has a large triangular shaped bar with red, yellow, and green bar that you can see from ten or twenty feet away looking through a window at your tv set still inside the house. Guess I am spoiled, but I like not having to take a set outside and run an extra cable to tune!

That's half the fun of FTA, haha. Have an spare small tv out in the storage building, extra test cables already made, and enough power cord to run 150' if I need it. And if I'm really lucky, it takes me less time to find the problem than it does to wire all that up!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)